NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Martial Arts Thread

As a practitioner, I feel its my duty to the world to direct you to the path of enlightenment... *gong splash*

Any students here? What do you practice? and why?

I of course do WTF Olympic style Taekwondo and though, without sounding harsh, such a technical sport is not for everyone, I would highly recommend practicing the art.

I would also like this thread to be one of advice and shared opinion. So, if theres any techniques you need help with maybe someone could help. My current goal is to improve the speed and deliverance of my double/triple half turning kicks.

Did Taekwondo in the olympics impress anyone?

Did Taekwondo in the olympics impress anyone?

It was well funny when the guy clocked the ref.

It was well funny when the guy clocked the ref.

...:(

That wasn't the sort of impressions I was referring to lol. XD

I fear this thread and what it might become. The internet and martial arts never mix too well!

Though myself currently, I do Aikido(Tomiki) sort of weekly for 1.5-3hrs, depending if I stay for both classes. I rather enjoy it and feel like it's doing my body some good, which is what I'm in it for. The class I go to is awesome too, everyone there is just proper safe and everything. Starting back up this tuesday in fact, gonna be well out of shape cos I ain't been for about a month and I do like...no excercise beyond it. The guys have also booked a hall for 4 days in Feb to teach Iaido, so I'm gonna go to those hopefully too!

I fear this thread and what it might become. The internet and martial arts never mix too well!

Though myself currently, I do Aikido(Tomiki) sort of weekly for 1.5-3hrs, depending if I stay for both classes. I rather enjoy it and feel like it's doing my body some good, which is what I'm in it for. The class I go to is awesome too, everyone there is just proper safe and everything. Starting back up this tuesday in fact, gonna be well out of shape cos I ain't been for about a month and I do like...no excercise beyond it. The guys have also booked a hall for 4 days in Feb to teach Iaido, so I'm gonna go to those hopefully too!

I did some Aikido in Germany and it really wasn't for me but it is very good for keeping fit! I used to do Judo, did it right up until January of this year since I was about 7 (with a few on-off breaks). Was good fun although I never ever really seemed to get any good at it despite trying so long. Again, it was good fun for keeping fit!

I did Origami once...cut my finger so gave it up. I really should take up a marital art but the commitment thing scares me...and so on...

In all seriousness I'd love to get into some kind of martial art someday. It seems so well balanced and all about wisdom and that whole 'repsect' stuff intrigues my peaceful side. Then there's the "I could kick your ass but I'm too ZEN like to do that" thing. Brilliant! What a skill to have!!

Hmm, maybe my view of martial arts is skewed somewhat.

Lol tapedeck, brilliant post.

I did some Aikido in Germany and it really wasn't for me but it is very good for keeping fit! I used to do Judo, did it right up until January of this year since I was about 7 (with a few on-off breaks). Was good fun although I never ever really seemed to get any good at it despite trying so long. Again, it was good fun for keeping fit!

Quite a long time, wow! Where in Germany and do you know what kind of Aikdio it was? I hear Tomiki's quite different to most of the others, because it has a competative element in it. I started about year and a half ago, though I was quite sporadic with going at first, and missed a large chunk this summer due to personal drama. I'm back on track now, did my second grading at the beginning of december so I'm now orange belt (white->yellow->orange->green->blue->brown->black). My ideal plan currently is to get shodan one day, then take up another martial art whilst continuing Aikido, no idea what yet. Judo and JiuJitsu are two current thoughts, though I wouldn't mind checking out something chinese as well.

For those of you who do do martial arts, how long you been doing them/what grade/level are you at? Why do you do it, and what got you into them?

I did Origami once...cut my finger so gave it up. I really should take up a marital art but the commitment thing scares me...and so on...

In all seriousness I'd love to get into some kind of martial art someday. It seems so well balanced and all about wisdom and that whole 'repsect' stuff intrigues my peaceful side. Then there's the "I could kick your ass but I'm too ZEN like to do that" thing. Brilliant! What a skill to have!!

Hmm, maybe my view of martial arts is skewed somewhat.

Yes, the inner tranquility you gain from training is such a phenomenon. To be fair, I was always a gentle giant sort of guy and never needed to fight or flex my muscles but training has just given me greater control, respect and tolerance of people. I think now for me, a part of it comes from knowing how badly you could mess someone up... and I really don't want to see that - the times I've knocked people out in competition I've always felt sympathetic and sometimes afraid, like imagining what I could have done if I hit a little bit harder... Its not nice, especially when you're a nice guy. Luckily, people are smart/cowardly and so I've never been the victim of a mugging but even still, a physical attack would be my LAST, ULTIMATE weapon that or RUN! :smile:

Aikido is coooool. I practice a lot of their break-falls in my own time. But I find such a technical art requires certain kind of people to really be exceptional at it. Some people can't 'catch' things as quickly and after some time a practitioner must really know what he or she are doing rather than just copy the master. In that grappley, deflective stuff, I fail. Do you have any inspiration behind doing Aikido?

Yeah, thats what can be very taxing on ones patience. Theres usually two type of fighter; the grappling, take-down, 'fluent' ones and the striking, more physical one. Both require as much skill as the other, but the way our brain works determines how we grasp things.

I did shuri-ryu karate for about six months last Summer. I really enjoyed it, though I had to stop because I felt stressed out by both karate and school work. I couldn't put the focus and energy into both as much as I'd like, but I know I want to practise martial arts again. Sometime ...

I've always been fascinated by martial arts. The balance between the physical and the mental, developing both body and mind, gaining self-awareness and a respect for others, the whole philosophical side of it - I love it. I've never been the physical type, nor do I like violence and fighting when it's serious. But at the same time I love watching martial arts shows and competitions, and it's just about the only sport that has ever really interested me (though I do like a little volleyball and badminton). But lastly (and most importantly!): Martial arts look bloody awesome! :p

I learn tai chi, i've so far completed the first part of the form, and its gonna take a year to complete the other two. Tai chi aims to maximise effiency of the body and relies on subconcious reactions to attacks, and uses minimal effort to deal out pain by using their own force against them.

I've done Ju-Jitsu for about a year now. It's actually offered as part of the sports "package" at Uni, so the trainers take a more security focused approach. They are very good nonetheless and I really enjoy the practice and I always repeat the moves with a friend which I label as being fun.

I actually mainly do it for the sake of doing sports but getting a more balanced personality and learning to properly defend oneself at the same time too makes me all the more motivated.

I'd really like to take up martial arts this year, although I have no idea where to start. I'm very bad at punching people, so I'd like to improve on that and blocking other people's punches. I'd like to learn lots of neat throws and also how to fight with a cudgel and other weapons, like an axe.

C-c-c-c-Combo Breaker!

obama-combo-breaker.jpg

Pyxis...your post made me lol as I wanna learn how to punch people harder too. But then not actually punch anyone y'know? Neat throws would be good too! Like Ken's roll and throw from Street Fighter.

Put a few Hadoukens in there and I'll be quite happy. Although a spinning bird kick and a yoga flame would be something to keep the cavemen away on a Friday night out on the town. But yeah, your wielding an "AXE" idea would work just as well...

and you can't be a martial arts master without the ability to fly... People would simply laugh at us if we couldn't master that. For that, I suppose we need to find a Taoist immortal to teach us The Way. I'm not aware of any around the Basingstoke area.

Now we're talking my language... as a mater of fact video game characters have inspired me a lot in regards to martial arts. In fact, Ken's kicking combination special was the last thing that made me go seek a Taekwondo club one saturday. Vegeta is my greatest inspiration though in terms of determination.

Honourable mentions goes out to Kim Kaphwan from SNK.

Now, namely because of Sheik and Raiden MGS4, I am learning intermediate acrobatic techniques... I can now do a side aerial ^^

I did 2 lessons of Judo when I was 6. I was beaten to the floor by my female friend from Hong Kong/Australia, who I'd forgotten about until this thread reminded me.

Wensheng Kungfu and a couple of the other Chinese arts.

^^My Master

He's going to be featured on 'Jack Osbourne:Adreniline Junkie' as well.

Aikido is coooool. I practice a lot of their break-falls in my own time. But I find such a technical art requires certain kind of people to really be exceptional at it. Some people can't 'catch' things as quickly and after some time a practitioner must really know what he or she are doing rather than just copy the master. In that grappley, deflective stuff, I fail. Do you have any inspiration behind doing Aikido?

Ha, so many questions/answers to the post. It is quite a technical art, I guess, but you won't appreciate that fully until you reach the point where you realise you're not progressing any further, and whilst learning the basics up to shodan I don't know if that'll ever happen. I do feel inferior at times, and like I'm just not grasping things, but I try to keep at it because I really want to get it(and sometimes that's the problem, certain things can't be explained or taught, and one day you'll suddenly 'get it'....only to 'get it' more a little while later!). It's one thing I like, you're constantly learning, and even when you think you know...well, you probably don't.

The breakfalls are another one...I still suck at them! I really can't free breakfall too well, but I'm not too bad doing them out of a throw some of the time. Some also require a literal leap of faith, and it can be hard to get the courage constantly. Generally I hurt myself alot, but it's my own fault, luckily I was blessed with some reasonable tolerance to pain I think, but it's still annoying! The way I ended up in it was because I was looking to take up a martial art, but I didn't know what, then my mate appeared one day and said he had recently started up Aikido again, he did it when he was little but stopped. He got into it due to his dad, who's a 1st dan at our club(it's really small, like...4-8 students usually, and anything from 1-4 black belts, so it can be quite good if you're stuck). I don't like the idea of 'hard' arts too much, the stuff that's too strengthy beyond a point, which I felt of the Karate I did when I was little. I'm not hating on them though, it's just a personal preference atm.

Due to its small class size, and the fact my friend goes, and everyone from the club being totally awesome people, it keeps me going. It's quite informal and probably less rigid than most martial arts classes and the traditional strict discipline of it all, which is kind of a mixed bag, I guess. Our most senior teacher is a guy called Harvey has been doing it sometime like 40 years, think he's 5th dan and learnt under Loi Lee, quite a famous crazy little lady who practised Tomiki Aikido, and wrote a book about it. I've been informed that the Uke in her book is a lady who trains at a club also local to me, though I've never been and only met her in person once(I didn't take to her either, and didn't know who she was, now I'm a bit scared to meet her). I'd love to see her and Harvey sparring one day though, because he's like the biggest man I ever seen(which is arguably not good for Aikido as you get dependant on strength, which it isn't about, but he really knows his stuff), and she's quite the little old lady.

Since starting, well, I've grown to like it. I've read somewhat into its origins as a way to enlightenment and whatnot, and I also like the idea of it. It's weak in that it's lacking strikes and stuff, but I'm not looking to fight and throw punches at people, I'm looking for a bit of fun, arguable fitness, and possible self defence that I'll never use lol(plus I'd never be sober enough to use it anyway). I also like the fact it's quite a dual art, and requires good co-operation between two people, and also its general kind of...non-aggressiveness? It's passive in that you've kinda gotta wait for an attack and then you react, and I like that right now. I'm only gonna kick you ass if you try to kick mine!

[/essay]

What got you into TKD btw?

When at some point I pick up martial arts again, I was considering trying out another one just to get a broader view of the spectrum. I really want to try out a Chinese martial art - tai chi seems interesting. The general description of it seems to fit my personality and attitude.

When at some point I pick up martial arts again, I was considering trying out another one just to get a broader view of the spectrum. I really want to try out a Chinese martial art - tai chi seems interesting. The general description of it seems to fit my personality and attitude.

Had a quick skim on wiki about Shuri Ryu, looks rather interesting actually! Quite a varied sort of martial art from the sounds of it. I'm a little tempted by Tai Chi one day too, though it's so commonplace and sort of diluted now from what I was told, and I don't want to sort of...not learn it properly? I do like the idea of it, though.

Had a quick skim on wiki about Shuri Ryu, looks rather interesting actually! Quite a varied sort of martial art from the sounds of it. I'm a little tempted by Tai Chi one day too, though it's so commonplace and sort of diluted now from what I was told, and I don't want to sort of...not learn it properly? I do like the idea of it, though.

Yeah, the history of shuri-ryu is quite interesting. It was the first type of karate to come to USA and its current form is thus attributed to Robert Trias, though it can be traced all the way back to Okinawa and the birth of karate. The current chief instructor in Europe is Vitus Bilking from Denmark.

Um, what? theres 3 arts to it, and takes a year to master the most 'western' one, which i'm doing atm. It's easy to learn, feels great to do, but hard to string together, improves your memory (remembering the flow of things) and gently tones your body and economicises the mind and body to act as one.

i loves it

I'd love to beat someone down with martial arts. Tai Chi sounds very interesting, I'd definately go to lessons if there were any places around here that practiced it, may be worth looking in to there's got to atleast one dojo (is it dojo?) around here.

Sign in to follow this