NEurope
Supergrunch

Mornington Crescent

I'm not sure how many of you play this, but it's always fun, and those who don't know the rules should be able to pick them up by observing us play. If you're still feeling really confused, try having a google around about the game...

Anyway, what with it being nearly Christmas and all, I think we should start with the '72 double Santa variation: namely that craps are down, highpole snapbacks are medium, and circumlocutory comediations are permissable only on spatchcock boundaries. So without further ado, I'll pick an opening move from the Allsman set:

Caledonian Road.

Alright I'll give this a go.

Well since this is my first time playing it i'll float King's cross to start and combo that up with St. Pancreas, which, if we are playing watford rules, should allow me the north of england bonus. I presume we are playing watford rules?

I presume we are playing watford rules?

We would be, but being a Monday, that goes against tradition. As such, we're playing the similar Theydon Bois rules, first used famously by Sokolov in '86 to perform the old DLR tactic in the opening 4 turns. Therefore, the North of England bonus only extends as far as Leicester.

Ah f*ck it, you see that's where my weakness is with this game, my history. I used to be a lot better, back in the days where me and my Dad would sit in front of the radio hearing round by round updates of the North Surrey bi-monthly championships. Shit changes you know, I couldn't keep up with it anymore.

Ahh never mind. Okay so correct me if i'm wrong, obviously now the north of england bonus is void, but the beginners three rule is universal, which should allow to switch my first round pick from St pancreas to London Bridge. It's not a major move but I get northern line points and it should get some momentum going.

Alright your move.

We would be, but being a Monday, that goes against tradition. As such, we're playing the similar Theydon Bois rules, first used famously by Sokolov in '86 to perform the old DLR tactic in the opening 4 turns. Therefore, the North of England bonus only extends as far as Leicester.

Hang on, I was of the assumption that this only applied when the Subway Bonus had been used - which would be ridiculous right now considering none of us have even reached breakpoint limit yet.

Anyway, I'll move in a northern direction, thus obtaining the Suburban Card.

Haha, you n00bs, you just handed me the easiest position in the world! I'm going for Marble Arch! How do you like that, eh?

Oh, and well done Danny, it's rare to see a beginner get a Suburban Card so early in their career - well done! Make sure you use it wisely now...

Ah f*ck it. Alright this can be rescued. Okay, i'm going to declare roadworks on the overland roots, and i'm going to sacrifice my gains on the dockland light railway to do so. That should buy me some time. Meanwhile i'd like to begin ticketing Bank. I'm in this for the long run.

Ah, bugger, that's a great move - didn't see that coming. :( Though the fact that circumlocutory comediations are permissable only on spatchcock boundaries as stated by Grunch prevents you from using the Hubblemeyer Tactic, it's still a great tactical position when you consider its advantages in increasing the transmigrational value.

Alas, I see no other solution for me than to shoot for Stockholm and pray for the Erlenmeyer Effect to kick in.

Good to see some people are getting the hang of things now.

Anyway, I'm afraid it's not quite Ernlenmeyer yet Dannyboy as lazdales are still overslung, and of course the point piece trimeter is still fourfold, but nice insight! Recall that your far slung Stockholm is creeping towards the edge of the Lobowsky play parameter, so try and hold the tertiary points and you might have a chance at an endgame Kydale-type gyakuten if you keep your wits about you. Either way, you've left me with little choice but to retunnel Lazyboy's connection and end up at South Kensington.

Alright being that its now been exactly 2.37 Westminster cycles since I began ticketing, the Frank Augustine James clause says that I can now judicianate the first flock of rock figures:

26 637 -1-- eleven 4 Flip 8881 52 456 reverse 58

Okay so i'm going to employ my Aedician set and ask that anyone who was given any of the above during the second eclipse lay down your routes and declare a 1752 bankruptcy.

Meanwhile i'll jump the west brodrick stables and set up my winter gear at Victoria.

I just realised! When I was at King's Cross St Pancras I could have transferred the St Pancras International and gone to Paris, Lille or Brussels! Damn it, an easy chance to switch the game to the continental strategy gone wasted!

Actually, looking back, the fact that, as Supergrunch says, we're using the Lobowsky play parameter means that Lille would be my luck a little...

Anyway, back to the game! That transfer to Victoria by Lazyboy means I have two options: either vault the ticket barrier in Covent Garden or use the Circle line anti-clockwise rule to switch play back to Edgware Road. Given Supergrunch's strategy so far, a circle line move now, with the double-duplication bonus still on the table, would be incredibly risky. That's it, I'm using Strohm's ticketless-tactic, and pushing for Covent Garden.

Yeah but to be fair even with the Labowski play parameters taking us continental, especially with the current economic climate, would have just drawn out the game a couple tracks, eventually leading us back into zone 1, leaving us all stranded on Maui with out sunblock. It's a lot more fun this way.

Well you guys are playing some pretty strange rules compared to what I normally play but I'm gonna have a go - please tell me if I get this wrong, I'm used to playing Frankland and Bentley!

I'm gonna try to create a reverse loop from the northern line and, if I can, trap lazyboy and danny together in a hemispherical trident. If I can pull that off and carry on moving in the direction of MC at the same time I think there are only a couple of ways you guys can stop me. But I tend to get over confident when playing so we shall see.

For now I'll go with Elephant and Castle. Unorthadox as a start I know but I believe Hugo used it once in one of his international victories. 1924 as far as I remember.

By the way can we bold our moves from now on please? It makes it easier for new players to follow!

A hemispherical trident ... if I recall correctly, it was such a trident that cost Jeremy Hemmingway his victory in the Skippersweep Tournament in Moscow in 1976 - 'tis an effective move if you know what you're doing.

Luckily, me being in Stockholm circumvents the reversing conflux and integrates the trident into a prism, allowing me to initiate the Erlenmeyer Effect by activating my Suburban Card on the riverbank, thus enabling me to move to Bank.

Oh, hell, Danny. I wasn't expecting that. :blank:

Luckily for me, the Northern line multi-branch labelling rule allows me to switch play to Charing Cross without infringing on the Embankment triple-point spin rule when play is in the opening quadrant and and Jupiter and Venus have both recently been clearly visible from Guildford.

Ok this is my first ever game so you may need to help me as I go along. I'd like to set up a base at Nottingham. Then use the Motorway Alliterative Capture card to capture the M1 Ls. Meaning I take Leeds, Leicester and London.

Nice move :) - just remember to initiate the flexbound rotation from the northern trench to avoid interpolating with the polysynthetic barrier around your base.

Now, the next logical step for me would be to back-play my Suburban Card from Bank to Nottingham, uplining the coordinates into a logarithmic function. If I can figure out the potential root value of the cross-section between the two ... yes! The power value is then 277.13, logically enabling me to go for Sussex!

Haha. Upon passing through Nottingham you involuntarily activated my undercover trap. Which initiates a series of solicitations to charge you with real estate malpractice undeniably proving that you acquired your recent addition to your property portfolio by commencing your journey from Nottingham. Meaning that the accumulation of your asset was entirely decided by aforementioned move thus meaning that Sussex is now in my possession.

I'm not very good at this.

Haha. Upon passing through Nottingham you involuntarily activated my undercover trap. Which initiates a series of solicitations to charge you with real estate malpractice undeniably proving that you acquired your recent addition to your property portfolio by commencing your journey from Nottingham. Meaning that the accumulation of your asset was entirely decided by aforementioned move thus meaning that Sussex is now in my possession.

I'm not very good at this.

You're right about that last comment, because I back-played using my Suburban Card, rendering your trap useless. Sorry, Moogle. :)

Guys, read the first post - all snapbacks are medium, so without written application in triplicate, taking places is forbidden. Oh, and as this is a new game for many players, we really should stick to London Underground stations.

Anyway, I'll shift the points and double back to Waterloo.

Guys, read the first post - all snapbacks are medium, so without written application in triplicate, taking places is forbidden. Oh, and as this is a new game for many players, we really should stick to London Underground stations.

Right, in that case I'll double-cringe Sussex and go to Royal Victoria with the following rappo-increase in powerpoints.

FFFFFFFF, only noticed the first post now.

I start at Paddington Station, i'l stay for the next few turns there, waiting for cards or something, also, i use Paddington Station Imitation card to choose Maddog card (Motorway Alliterative Capture card) to capture all the train stations near me, also, unfortunately, i'l have to give you all a card. You're free to choose the one i give you as long as you don't choose one that i used already (Motorway Alliterative Capture card and Paddington Station Imitation card).

And please, i'l repeat it:

DO NOT ATTACK ME, i don't plan nothing else than using my little routes to comercialize.

Off-Game:

WHY ARE CRAPS DOWN? THAT SUCKS ASS