N-Europe

Virtual Morality

Daft

Thats not what I meant. I was more just saying that most people will understand that its just a game. I mean, people have done "teabagging" in FPS games for years which isn't that far off from rape, but nobody takes that seriously. I would think most people would think the same of online rape.

Exactly.

Unless I completely missunderstand this and please do correct me if I am. Teabag is just sitting ontop of somebodies head and being a general idiot.

Rape is forcing sex upon somebody, violating them in a way that nobody should be put through. Now if virtual worlds (and lets face it second life is a pretty god damn good example of how realistic these worlds get) allowed rape then I could only imagine what the user would have to see, whilst their character is violated by somebody else..

Yes?

Unless I completely missunderstand this and please do correct me if I am. Teabag is just sitting ontop of somebodies head and being a general idiot.

'Teabagging' in online games is an approximation of a sexual act of the same name, which in a multiplayer context is technically without the other person's consent. So whilst I can see where Emasher is coming from, it's so far removed from rape, and so abstract, that I don't think the two can be in any way compared. I also seriously doubt that most people that 'teabag' even know what they're mimicking, merely using it as a taunt directed at their opposition.

This is a good thread, but it's really gotten me writing some odd sentences.

'Teabagging' in online games is an approximation of a sexual act of the same name, which in that context is technically without the other person's consent. So whilst I can see where Emasher is coming from, it's so far removed from rape, and so abstract, that I don't think the two can be in any way compared. I also seriously doubt that most people that 'teabag' even know what they're mimicking, merely using it as a taunt directed at their opposition.

This is a good thread, but it's really gotten me writing some odd sentences.

Makes sense to connect the two, in a somewhat weird and wonderful way, I suppose if teabagging, was placed in it's proper term instead of the abstract way it's done now..then it'd be abit different.

This really is derailing me from my essay haha. But so close to it at the same time.

I would think Teenagers and Adults.

Wait, wouldn't playing a game that you know you could get rapped in technically be consenting to it. If you don't want to get virtual-rapped, just don't play a game where that can happen.

Well thats the arguement, most games cover the rules that sexual references aren't allowed, but there's always the question of whether the rule should be put in place if it's not there.

I agree if it's placed that you can do things like that, then fine, it doesn't hurt others, but what if a game is played similar to second life and this occurs, do people get away with it or do they get penalised?

I would think Teenagers and Adults.

Wait, wouldn't playing a game that you know you could get rapped in technically be consenting to it. If you don't want to get virtual-rapped, just don't play a game where that can happen.

No. We don't consent to rape when we are brought into this world. It's not part of being born. So, just because you play a game where you could get raped, that doesn't mean you've consented to it just by playing.

No. We don't consent to rape when we are brought into this world. It's not part of being born. So, just because you play a game where you could get raped, that doesn't mean you've consented to it just by playing.

..yeah I'm bored and hijacking this thread completely.

..but couldn't you say the exact same thing about murder?

Its in no way the same. In a game, you actually actively choose to play the game and you would know it has rape in it (as it would obviously get an "Ao" or 18+ or whatever rating and say on the back that it was for rape). You don't choose to be brought into this world. But you do choose to be brought into a virtual world. Thats like deciding to play Call of Duty which you know has killing in it and then getting offended if you get killed.

I don't think people are so stupid that they don't understand what they are mimicking.

Then in the weirdest way possible, you have more faith in people than I do.

Also, consensual rape is called sex. This is why the former always has a victim, as by definition it is an act forced upon someone. Virtual violence, on the other hand, is reciprocal: either you are choosing to fight people — rolling a character on a PvP server in an MMO, or searching for a game in an FPS — or you are combating pieces of code, the sole purpose of which is to challenge the player.

..yeah I'm bored and hijacking this thread completely.

..but couldn't you say the exact same thing about murder?

To be fair, I'm so tired and can't even make sense of what I wrote let alone answer your question. I shall check the thread tomorrow and get back to you. :)

Also, if you feel so emotionally attached to a game character that you would be offended if it got rapped to the same degree that someone who had been the victim of racism would feel, you're playing too much of that game and probably should take a break.

Moreso being said, about referring to emotional attachment. Even when characters are just being harmed or feeling most displeased in their abilities, they *feel* the pain. This would probably be more attributed to the RPG genre and those Final Fantasy obsessed chaps.

Same actually to the bulk of the "otaku" crowd.