N-Europe

Would a netbook suit me?

flameboy

I need a portable cheap laptop...and don't have much money so a netbook seems to be the perfect solution for me...

I'm looking at this one;

http://www.netbooks.uk.com/product.php/asus_eee_pc_900_8.9_inch_netbook

namely because it can have windows on it. As I from my googling, itunes won't work on linux? Is this correct? Does the version of windows come as a full package?

How about this one;

http://www.netbooks.uk.com/product.php/asus_eee_pc_900_8.9_inch_netbook

has the advantage of a bigger hard drive meaning I wouldn't have to carry around my external one...is cheaper on john lewis and instock but comes with linux not windows....

or this one with 1 gb of RAM;

http://www.netbooks.uk.com/product.php/acer_aspire_one_blue_8.9_inch,_1gb,_120gb,_xp_home

My girlfriend bought the Acer Aspire One with Linux. 1Gb Ram 120Gb HHD. And I'm so impressed with it. The version of Linux is so easy to use, yet to have any problems. Unless you need any windows Apps then I'd go for the cheaper Linux version. Complete with Browser, Instant Messenger, Email, Word, Excel, Powerpoint (cheap equivalents).

iTunes was a selling point for my girlfriend but with no CD drive we decided against it.

For general browsing the net and occasional typing up lesson on word its the perfect machine to carry around!

namely because it can have windows on it. As I from my googling, itunes won't work on linux? Is this correct?

That is essentially correct. It runs like sludge on WINE, when it does run. You could virtualise, but that would be loads of effort for just a single program.

On Engadget I saw an HP Mini 1000, and it looked well nice. Not sure if it's even out yet.

My girlfriend bought the Acer Aspire One with Linux. 1Gb Ram 120Gb HHD. And I'm so impressed with it. The version of Linux is so easy to use, yet to have any problems. Unless you need any windows Apps then I'd go for the cheaper Linux version. Complete with Browser, Instant Messenger, Email, Word, Excel, Powerpoint (cheap equivalents).

iTunes was a selling point for my girlfriend but with no CD drive we decided against it.

For general browsing the net and occasional typing up lesson on word its the perfect machine to carry around!

See I'm not bothered about the lack of CD drive...as buy a lot of my music on itunes anyway... I do like the idea of Linux being so fast to boot up etc...but annoying that it won't run itunes.

Glad its a good system though

That is essentially correct. It runs like sludge on WINE, when it does run. You could virtualise, but that would be loads of effort for just a single program.

On Engadget I saw an HP Mini 1000, and it looked well nice. Not sure if it's even out yet.

hmmm right sounds like a big thing to do for one program, then I always run the risk of getting problems everytime itunes is updated...

Think I will pay the price for windows...annoying though that this is the way to do it!

namely because it can have windows on it. As I from my googling, itunes won't work on linux? Is this correct? Does the version of windows come as a full package?
You shouldn't worry about that. There's an alternative application that lets you access your iPod just fine under Linux. If you use it as a music player, well... iTunes is freaking horrible. It's bloated, sluggish and ugly. Try Exaile or Rhythmbox, they're excellent.

Linux is a better fit for a netbook. There's nothing it can't provide, and it's stabler, prettier and more customizable than XP will ever be.

You shouldn't worry about that. There's an alternative application that lets you access your iPod just fine under Linux. If you use it as a music player, well... iTunes is freaking horrible. It's bloated, sluggish and ugly. Try Exaile or Rhythmbox, they're excellent.

Linux is a better fit for a netbook. There's nothing it can't provide, and it's stabler, prettier and more customizable than XP will ever be.

Will that software let me get podcasts etc...thats one of my main uses for the ipod so is a big thing...

EDIT;

Plus how does it go about purchased songs, a lot of my music collection is bought off itunes...

Website says:

Manage Music, Videos, Podcast and Photos all in one simple app, anywhere on any computer.
So I guess yeah. There's a Windows version you could try out if you're curious.

I'd use it in Windows as well (if I had an iPod) because iTunes is even more horrible than Windows Media Player as far as I'm concerned. One of my mates uses it on Windows actually.

On Linux, I know that the Exaile music player, my favourite, has an iPod plugin, too. It might mean you wouldn't have to use Floola at all.

This is all hearsay though, so you should try it yourself. The Linux Floola should do everything the Windows Floola can do, though.

Website says:

So I guess yeah. There's a Windows version you could try out if you're curious.

I'd use it in Windows as well (if I had an iPod) because iTunes is even more horrible than Windows Media Player as far as I'm concerned. One of my mates uses it on Windows actually.

On Linux, I know that the Exaile music player, my favourite, has an iPod plugin, too. It might mean you wouldn't have to use Floola at all.

This is all hearsay though, so you should try it yourself. The Linux Floola should do everything the Windows Floola can do, though.

ok cheers....I'll give the windows version a try.

I guess the major thing that concerns me about the linux that is on netbooks is often called lite and reviews on sites such as amazon say it is really limiting in what can be installed and what can't. A bit of concern tbh.

I'm really not into all the specific Linuxes installed on these machines. I know most of them are installed in total noob mode that doesn't offer a desktop but just a menu. That can be changed in the settings though.

I do know that the Ubuntu Netbook Remix allows everything a full fledged Ubuntu installation allows, but just has a modified (desktop) interface to better fit the small screen. The only limitation they should have is that Windows apps don't work on them, but really, that's to be expected. The best stuff on Windows is available on Linux anyway. For normal use, the only thing I can say in favour of Windows is that MS Office 2007 > OpenOffice + Thunderbird, though OO is still pretty good.