NEurope
Helmsly

New Wii System/Firmware update

Weird, if annoying. Can you let me know how you get on with the wired link when you get it?

Weird, if annoying. Can you let me know how you get on with the wired link when you get it?

I sure can, prob get it mid November.

sooo is there any word that this blocks the Homebrew channel?

The update will "remove unauthorised software harmful to your Wii", which translates as removing the Homebrew Channel/Freeloader loophole.

I've read it doesn't allow you to install it anymore, but it won't remove it. Can't verify it though.

Bugger. The Shop Channel won't give you access until you update :(

O rly. If you haven't updated then you are defo missing out. When I checked the Shop Channel last night I was nowhere near prepared enough for the all new wonders that the update brought! :o

(Slightly different music, an all new button to click on to see what controllers work with games, amongst other things...!)

Bah, not surprising. Luckily for me I have no intention of buying any games anytime soon.

O rly. If you haven't updated then you are defo missing out. When I checked the Shop Channel last night I was nowhere near prepared enough for the all new wonders that the update brought! :o

(Slightly different music, an all new button to click on to see what controllers work with games, amongst other things...!)

WHAT!? Damn i'm missing out.

You're kidding right ?

WTF is up with that , Nintendo obviously no longer want my money on NTSC games that won't see the light of day here , and now they no longer want my money from the VC/WiiWare.

Oh well , at least I won't have to worry about 'emptying the fridge' any longer , dumb asses.

EDIT - Looks like I may have to update after all as the alternative Freeloader method doesn't seem to want to run Disaster - Day Of Crisis , seriously not happy.

It's happened before because of Wii Channel Updates. Stupid that it's only for crappy features. I'm not bricking my FreeLoader/WHC for that.

I'd rather import games that take ages or won't get a release over here than old games getting re-released. And if Nintendo are still being penisy... well then, other means if they don't want my money ;)

Im sure they would lose more money over piracy and the way games are more expensive here etc. than they would gain from people importing games that don't exist here.

I always find it hilarious when people blame Nintendo for covering their asses and fighting against piracy, not to mention protecting the publishers interests.

The nerve of them for not allowing people to install fakesigned software! Specially when there are backup loaders without a mod chip! The nerve!

Whoever already has the homebrew channel can install this safely, you just can't install new stuff.

They're not being 'penisy'/'dumb asses'/'fucking morons', Microsoft and Sony don't let you import region-locked games, hack downloadable services or use homebrew software either. You've gotten away with it for months now and they've given you plenty of warning before doing something like this, so it's not really the epic tragedy you're all making it out to be. In the end, you're just depriving yourselves of new software.

They're not being 'penisy'/'dumb asses'/'fucking morons', Microsoft and Sony don't let you import region-locked games, hack downloadable services or use homebrew software either. You've gotten away with it for months now and they've given you plenty of warning before doing something like this, so it's not really the epic tragedy you're all making it out to be. In the end, you're just depriving yourselves of new software.

Actually PS3 games are all region free and there are some 360 region free games too :P Although Sony closed down the biggest import site because they didn't like people importing.

Don't know about PS3, but 360's hacked. On the other hand, some time ago, they decided to brick every modded 360, something Nintendo could have done ages ago.

So, who's the bigger ass, the ones who close down stores and brick consoles, or the ones who try to slow down piracy without actually ruining consoles? hmmm tough call

Actually PS3 games are all region free and there are some 360 region free games too :P Although Sony closed down the biggest import site because they didn't like people importing.

Don't know about PS3, but 360's hacked. On the other hand, some time ago, they decided to brick every modded 360, something Nintendo could have done ages ago.

So, who's the bigger ass, the ones who close down stores and brick consoles, or the ones who try to slow down piracy without actually ruining consoles? hmmm tough call

Well my other points still stand. :heh: Nintendo have only disabled hacked software, they're not bricking your Wii consoles.

I don't understand, if someone has homebrew channel it won't take it off, but you can no longer install it?

I don't understand, if someone has homebrew channel it won't take it off, but you can no longer install it?

Yep, you can't install new stuff. Well, it goes deeper than that, but for most people that's what it means.

It's hardly depriving you of software if you still get games, it's just Disaster you can't play, and for now, I can live without it.

Also this is an epic tragedy. Can't you tell the gaming world is falling apart!? Also I don't care for pirate software etc. I want to play Dawn of the New World and other RPGs in the future, and since i'm really not losing out at all, I can hold up fine :heh:

P.S Hackers will no doubt have a solution soon

It's hardly depriving you of software if you still get games, it's just Disaster you can't play, and for now, I can live without it.

Also this is an epic tragedy. Can't you tell the gaming world is falling apart!? Also I don't care for pirate software etc. I want to play Dawn of the New World and other RPGs in the future, and since i'm really not losing out at all, I can hold up fine :heh:

P.S Hackers will no doubt have a solution soon

It's a DISASSUTAAAA!

It wasn't about the pirated games for me either , it was about those niche US sports titles* that I enjoy that will never get released here ^.

Not a major disaster admittedly but it would have been nice to be able to continue to experience those games without having to consider a US Wii. That being said , the way that most sports titles are completely screwed on the Wii means that me picking up a 360/PS3 would be better anyway.

* amongst other niche titles.

^ or being left at the mercy of NoE for major titles

Apart from the issues of publishing rights , then surely in this day and age of a global economy , region locking is a bit of dated notion anyway.

Ah, man. Looks like I've been forced to update.

I always find it hilarious when people blame Nintendo for covering their asses and fighting against piracy, not to mention protecting the publishers interests.

The nerve of them for not allowing people to install fakesigned software! Specially when there are backup loaders without a mod chip! The nerve!

Whoever already has the homebrew channel can install this safely, you just can't install new stuff.

FINALLY people being logical...

It wasn't about the pirated games for me either , it was about those niche US sports titles* that I enjoy that will never get released here ^.

Not a major disaster admittedly but it would have been nice to be able to continue to experience those games without having to consider a US Wii. That being said , the way that most sports titles are completely screwed on the Wii means that me picking up a 360/PS3 would be better anyway.

* amongst other niche titles.

^ or being left at the mercy of NoE for major titles

Apart from the issues of publishing rights , then surely in this day and age of a global economy , region locking is a bit of dated notion anyway.

You can safely update if you already have homebrew and the freeloading thingy installed, it won't erase it.

Let's say one is on 3.2, aquires the Homebrew Channel and installs the things they want from it and THEN udpates to 3.3, is it then possible to remove the Homebrew Channel?

(I'm just thinking this whole thing sounds a bit risky/shady and I'm looking forward to if I have to get rid of it in an emergency or if I have to send my Wii off or something).