NEurope
Dog-amoto

Foods you hate

I don't really like Cheese as I've never got into the taste... except on Pizza...

Also Mushrooms as they feel weird and slimey as they go down my throat I think I liked them when I was about 3 but I saw someone else not liking them adn so I'm told that I copied them and haven't like them since! :heh:

*Words*

So don't assume that the meaning you apply to the word is the only possible one; if you really want to be pedantic, be so about something you can prove.

*Words*

Did you even read my post? I said that words can have multiple definitions, and different groups of people use them differently.... hence why I didn't want to play the dictionary game.... because you could grab twenty different dictionaries and have them all say something radically different.

I could find thirty dictionaries that say my definition, but it would be entirely useless... hence me using logic rather than false "proof". My argument was that the more commonly used form of the word was to describe the flesh of an animal. Birds, fish, mammals... all of them are animals last time I checked.

The only reason why I posted the oxford link is because DannyBoy was using WIKIPEDIA as his source.... I mean... come on...

You seem to be arguing with me just for the sake of doing so, rather than actually having a reason. I'm half defending my claim as a vegetarian, because there's people out there that say they're vegetarians because they don't eat meat, then go home to some trout or chicken. It's as if those people weaken the word for the rest of us, and it happens because people like you think that it's acceptable to drop fish and poultry from the enclosure of "meat".

I honestly don't get why you even started this argument though. I never said I was a vegetarian or that I thought mammals are somehow in a different category than other animals. If you know me then you should know I love all animals.

Like I said, I was simply stating the difference between the different kinds of meat to make it easier to understand. I don't base that difference on the importance of the animal (since they're all equal), but on the type of animal and the type of meat they have (because in my opinion there is a huuuge difference in taste and texture between fish and meat and thus belong in different categories). They are all meat, but different kinds. I don't think that's hard to understand.

Anyway, I made my point ages ago already and think this is a pointless argument (which seems to be here just for the sake of having an argument or something).

Back on topic: I've started hating potatoes. They're okay when it's mashed potatoes or in chips/crisps form, but anything else I pretty much don't like anymore. D:

You seem to be arguing with me just for the sake of doing so

TBH seems the other way round to me.

I'm half defending my claim as a vegetarian

Why, nobody mentioned vegeterians except you.

I honestly don't get why you even started this argument though. I never said I was a vegetarian or that I thought mammals are somehow in a different category than other animals. If you know me then you should know I love all animals.

.. You don't understand.

I guess it's just kinda a pet peeve of mine..

It'd be like... If you were talking to a christian that actually worships, and said "I'm a christian, but I don't go to church."

... I know you weren't claiming to be a vegetarian... but by saying "I don't eat meat" You're leading people to believe that you are.

I haven't eaten since 2006.

Shit dude, you must be starving.

I agree with Coolness, the only things that taste worse than Mushrooms are death. I hate the texture, the shape, the way they look, the taste. Urrr, just get the shrooms away from mee-ee.

Also, you fools who hate cucumbers: Wasssamattawitchu?! Cucumbers are heavenly. I have been known to slice cucumbers into slices and eat platefuls of the buggers. Mmmmm. I do love my cucumbers.

And finally, this whole thing about vegetarians, meat and fish: Come on now, its all a bit pedantic over nothing, isn't it? Clearly it was just a little misunderstanding over "definitions" and what not. For example, I have always referred to "meat" as the "meat from lamb or sheep." Fish is just...fish, to me. I've never called that meat, and I never will, because I'm set in my own ways. Breakfast lunch dinner? NO! Breakfast, dinner, tea, bitches! If you refer to fish as fish, then that's cool. If you refer to fish as meat, then that's cool, too. Do you really want to send your blood pressure raising through the roof over something as daft as the categorisation of foods? :)

Edit: Just seen the edit above. Surely then you got ahead of yourself and placed her into a category that she never associated herself with?

mushrooms are amazing. Once again, I'm pretty sure you're all mentalists.

In the words of Manuel from Fawlty Towers, "You know Noooothing."

Mushrooms are horrible, horrible thing. I love most things on this Earth, including fluffy bunnies, waterfalls, sunsets, cucumbers, and Radiohead. But I fucking haaaaate mushrooms.

Seriously, dude, nooooo. The amount of times I've sifted through my pizza and removed the mushrooms and put them straight in the bin. Gah. :(

Did you even read my post? I said that words can have multiple definitions, and different groups of people use them differently.... hence why I didn't want to play the dictionary game.... because you could grab twenty different dictionaries and have them all say something radically different.

I could find thirty dictionaries that say my definition, but it would be entirely useless... hence me using logic rather than false "proof". My argument was that the more commonly used form of the word was to describe the flesh of an animal. Birds, fish, mammals... all of them are animals last time I checked.

The only reason why I posted the oxford link is because DannyBoy was using WIKIPEDIA as his source.... I mean... come on...

You seem to be arguing with me just for the sake of doing so, rather than actually having a reason. I'm half defending my claim as a vegetarian, because there's people out there that say they're vegetarians because they don't eat meat, then go home to some trout or chicken. It's as if those people weaken the word for the rest of us, and it happens because people like you think that it's acceptable to drop fish and poultry from the enclosure of "meat".

I used an expanded version of the same dictionary you quoted from, just to point out that dictionaries only give you examples of how words are used, and there are almost always going to be variants. I am arguing with you just for the sake of it, as I love this kind of thing, but ultimately I take issue with you prescribing the semantics of a word simply because the way someone uses it offends your vegetarian sensibilities. We've determined people don't always mean "fish" when they say "meat", now get over it and stop getting angry with people who don't use the language in exactly the same way as you, especially when English isn't their L1.

Regarding cucumber: this stuff is generally really nice, but occasionally can have a really bitter or acidic taste, which makes it nasty. I love mushrooms though.

Wikipedia is in my experience more reliable than made out to be. Besides, it wasn't really relevant how "official" it was, I was just pointing out the obvious. My opinion? Llama read something that wasn't actually said into Eenuh's post (my, what a confusing sentence).

Back on topic: Cucumbers are a tasty snack, but in larger portions they tend not do very well with other foods, as they steal the taste.

I don't really understand all the hate for cheese in this thread. Maybe it's something to with taste buds maturing/dulling over time. I love Brie (just eating slabs of it on its own is nice), and a nice bit of blue cheese can go down very well given a nice cracker.

When I was a missionary I was fed by other people a lot. Some were poor, and others had just gone out of their way to make me a meal so I just ate whatever was in front of me and said it was lovely. I got over a lot of my food dislikes by just eating that way.

Now I'm only really opposed to tuna and sprouts (I just used to swallow them whole on my mission).

I don't really understand all the hate for cheese in this thread. Maybe it's something to with taste buds maturing/dulling over time. I love Brie (just eating slabs of it on its own is nice), and a nice bit of blue cheese can go down very well given a nice cracker.

Cheese is made of win, the stronger the better :D