Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Please Help me

Guest Stefkov

Guest Stefkov

the point of this thread is because it would be greatly appreciated if people would give me some some help on deciding on what subjects to take at college.

i have no idea on what to take, i want to go into computer games software design/ creation and all that jazz. what i would like to know is what subjects to take at A level to help me get a place at Bolton/ Salford/ Manchester Uni to go on a computer games sotware development course.

the only subject i am clear about it Computing, and possibly Graphics. im wondering what 2/3 other subjects to take, the good thing is that i can drop one at the end of AS level, and only study 3 at A2 level.

So please help.

Edit: im going to Holy Cross so if people know what courses they do would help mealso rather than randomly saying course that theydont do.

Guest Stefkov

i though about that but the thing is the are saying you need to have studied higher maths, and im not studying it. i might apply for that anyway

i was also considering media, not sure about it though.

Guest Stefkov

do you know where St Monicas is? well i liveabout ½ hour away from there, 15 minutes on a fast walk home.

if you dont know where that is then i live on Agecroft road East, near Beckly Avenue, dunno why i put it in white, just in case any unwanted visitors come

do you know where St Monicas is? well i liveabout ½ hour away from there, 15 minutes on a fast walk home.

if you dont know where that is then i live on Agecroft road East, near Beckly Avenue, dunno why i put it in white, just in case any unwanted visitors come

Yeah i knwo it.

Holy Cross is an alright college, i chose sciences though.

Guest Stefkov

i also had in mind Business studies. you know cos il be working in a company etc, the prospectus says that the subject is good for company work.

and would anyone agree on me taking Graphics?

You're wasting your time with a computer game course. Just do a computer science, it's much more respected by employers and leaves you more options when you graduate.

You'll need a Maths A Level to do that. For your other choices, just choose subjects you enjoy and you're good at, although unis may prefer you to have a bit of a bias towards science-based subjects. For the love of god, avoid crap subjects like 'Media Studies', the universities will just laugh at you. Then just get the best grades you can and go for it!

Guest Stefkov

cheers for all your help guys/gals.

i remember i talked to a connexions guy and he said, that i dont need to take anything at college to really apply for a computer games course. anyone think hes right?

cheers for all your help guys/gals.

i remember i talked to a connexions guy and he said, that i dont need to take anything at college to really apply for a computer games course. anyone think hes right?

Probably. Seriously, though, don't take doss subjects like media or drama or such like.

Guest Stefkov

i dont know how to do multiple choice polls, just do it here.

out of these subjects: computing (well for sure but putting it here anyway), Maths, Graphics, Business Studies, Media, Physics. choose 4 please

Guest Stefkov
Probably. Seriously, though, don't take doss subjects like media or drama or such like.

never have thought about or wanted to do drama

((sorry for double post))

Well I've just applied for 3 Computer Games courses at three different Uni's. None of them specified any A levels. But Computing in my opinion is a must, you will learn fundamental things that will ultimately help you. I took Maths up to AS Level and then I dropped it because I sucked. I now take Computing, Physics and Electronics.

Each of my subjects help each other really, my Physics knowledge allows me to understand my Eletronics, and Electronics allows me to understand the hardware side of Computing.

Basically what I'm saying is take Computing, maybe Maths, and then take two subjects you'll enjoy and pass.

From your choices, I would go for Maths, Physics, Computing, then something else. They're very science based, perhaps choose something contrasting like English Lit or History? Oh and I may be biased (being a geography student and everything), but Geography is a very good course. :smile: