NEurope
khilafah

FIFA 09

So it's out and there's still no reviews, playtests or even reports from people who have played it. Surely it all points to it being absolute dogshite!!!!

Anyone here bought it? I'm tempted by it, but just want to know how it plays!

We should have a review coming soon. I'm still waiting on EA to deliver. It's terrible that the Wii version seems to have been shunned. Pretty much no impressions online neither. (Btw - The DS version is great and Be A Pro works well on it!)

I had a gander at this in Game yesterday but I picked up SimCity Creator instead. The lack of impressions and reviews for Fifa 09 is definitely a bit weird as you would have thought EA would be pimping it to the max! Maybe they just expect it to sell itself?!

Just been watching a YouTube video of it. It was only posted yesterday, and looks like it's up to date, with the new controls and menus showcased. As expected, it doesn't look that great, and I suspect my feelings about waiting for PES will prove it the sensible thing to do. I'm a bit surprised to find so little opinion of it around the net, but maybe that'll show up in a day or two. I'm sure there'll be some fans, not least of those who simply cannot cope with the Wii setup and are desperate to use the Gamecube pad for their footie fun. But for me the PES controls are sublime, and though they need a bit of polishing for the next version, I've no desire to play FIFA in between. I'm just getting too much out of the current PES at the moment.

Still, I'm curious to hear of forumites feelings about it regardless.

EDIT: The keeper saves the penalty at the end, but they still lose? Hmmm...bugs!

We should have a review coming soon. I'm still waiting on EA to deliver. It's terrible that the Wii version seems to have been shunned. Pretty much no impressions online neither. (Btw - The DS version is great and Be A Pro works well on it!)

Can you give us a little write up in DS board mate.. I thinking about buying this version.

I am suprised I not seen one ad for the Wii version. EA dont really seem too bothered about it.

I can't believe no one has got this. EA have completed let this game fend for itself hasn't it and given its love and attention to the next gen versions. The unwanted child!! The only explanation is that the game is complete shit!! WHich is a deep shame!

Fifa 09 wii = EPIC fail !!

Fifa 09 360/ps3 = one of the best football games made...

This sums it up...

Fifa 09 wii = EPIC fail !!

Fifa 09 360/ps3 = one of the best football games made...

This sums it up...

Have you played it then, or you just flaming?

I can't believe no one has got this. EA have completed let this game fend for itself hasn't it and given its love and attention to the next gen versions. The unwanted child!! The only explanation is that the game is complete shit!! WHich is a deep shame!

You're a strange one, because you claim that EA have let this game fend for itself, and yet claim that the explanation is that it's shite? I don't really know how you've put 2 and 2 together there.

To be completely honest, I've seen nothing on this. No reviews anywhere, no information, no adverts and little all else. I actually thought this was getting released at a later date because I wasn't even sure if a release date was given for this version.

My theory: EA recognise that 08 sold pretty well on the Wii, with very little advertising. So, they're releasing the games, advertising the better looking ones, and hoping that if somebody has a Wii, they'll pick up that version. So, basically, letting the game sell itself, on a console which is flying off the shelves.

I think.

You're a strange one, because you claim that EA have let this game fend for itself, and yet claim that the explanation is that it's shite? I don't really know how you've put 2 and 2 together there.

To be completely honest, I've seen nothing on this. No reviews anywhere, no information, no adverts and little all else. I actually thought this was getting released at a later date because I wasn't even sure if a release date was given for this version.

My theory: EA recognise that 08 sold pretty well on the Wii, with very little advertising. So, they're releasing the games, advertising the better looking ones, and hoping that if somebody has a Wii, they'll pick up that version. So, basically, letting the game sell itself, on a console which is flying off the shelves.

I think.

How's that strange? We both agree that EA are letting this one fend for itself. You think it's because you think EA think it will sell anyway. And I think it may because it's a bad game and they want to concentrate on the next gen version.

Both seem acceptable to me.

The thing is with your case, is wouldn't Fifa sell anyway? Also, it's not just the marketing, it's the playtests and the reviews. No letting people actually play the game is just weird, and there must be a reason for it. I think it's pretty shameful to be honest, EA have been great with the Wii, but this is a truly baffling decision.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=6010

92% Great score. But their review is terrible!!!

They say this game is dfferent to Pro Evo Wii because in this version you just click to a space and the player AI goes towards the ball. THATS EXACTLY THE SAME AS PRO EVO! They make out that in Pro Evo you have to draw a line from the player to the ball which is a lie!

They also say to shoot you just flick the wiimote, just like in Pro Evo......erm, no, you flick the NUNCHUK to shoot (wiimote chips).

Really makes me doubt their opinion. They also slate the Pro Evo defending saying you have no control of them. This is true for the first hour or so of playing, but more time with it shows how deep the defending game actually is!!!

Still, great score!! I'm still completely torn on what to do with this game!! PS3 or Wii, PS3 or Wii?

Dazzy you should defo get it on the Wii then you can tell us once and for all how good (or woeful!) the game really is!

Dazzy you should defo get it on the Wii then you can tell us once and for all how good (or woeful!) the game really is!

Great, I'm the guinea pig :)

I 'll probably pick it up tomorrow. A few of my mates are getting it and I've been scouting around for hands on impressions and everyone seems to be loving it. Good enough for me.

Damn the Be a Pro mode sounds good though :(

As far as FIFA games go it's what you'd expect. Playable but nothing special.

The 'new' advanced play is like a simpler Pro Evo and without being able to drag your players around it makes through balls a bit difficult. I always find FIFA games very defence biased and this means there isn't much space to put the ball into anyway.

Again there is no online league option, except for the pointless league where you play as the team you support in that weeks fixture. I think this is scandalous, but even worse is the fact that you can't set up your own league or tournament with more than one human player. For me this is unforgivable, especially as they've done this 2 years on the trot now. How many people who play footie games don't play them with a bunch of mates? To not have this feature is ridiculous.

The commentary also seems a little broken as Andy Gray says things totally out of context with the action and i heard him say three times in a row that a player had injured themselves whilst tackling when in fact nothing had happened.

The manager mode seems ok but although it adds a little depth to playing against the AI it's still a little vague and ultimately frustrating. As manager of Inter i was told by the board in no uncertain terms that i must win the Derby match against Roma?!?

I traded in a couple of games to get this out of boredom but i'd say if you carry on with pro evo (or wait for the next one) you ain't missing anything.

PLEASE NOTE: i may edit this review after some more playtime as i may unlock some hidden depths i am currently unaware of (but don't hold your breath)

You CAN'T drag the players around the pitch!?!? So the controls are more simple than Pro Evo!?!?! Are you sure about this? What are the controls like in comparison to Pro EVo generally?

I love Pro Evo, if this is as good that'll do me. If it's worse then I might fuck it off

It doesn't play as well as pro evo imo.

You may be able to pick it up and play it a lot quicker than you can with Pro Evo but it certainly hasn't the same depth. You definitely can't drag your players around although you can make them do runs with the - button. Without instruction the AI is pretty woeful and i can't remember one occasion so far when a player has made a decent run for a through ball.

The defending is pretty simple as you can move your defender and press B to tackle or shake the remote for a sliding tackle. For some this may be superior to Pro Evo's defending but personally i thought once you got Pro Evo defending figured out it was pretty good.

Tricks are plentiful and easy to do. I find these necessary to get any kind of space or advantage in these defence biased games.

I have played FIFA since it first came out on megadrive in (i think) 1993 and there's something about it that always tempts me even though i discovered Pro Evo was better years ago. I think it maybe the slick production and full licenses :heh: I wouldn't buy this expecting anything innovative or amazing because its not but it does play an OK game of football if you can't fully get to grips with Pro Evo's controls.

And seeing as i can't log in to WAR for some reason i'll go and do some more FIFA playtesting for you. :)

I love Pro Evo's controls and if these are worse then that's not good.....hmmmmm!!! What to do , what to do!!

When you say you can make players go on runs, do you mean point somewhere and press - and they run there, or do you mean press the button and they will go on 'a' run, but you can't decide where?!

Sounds like EA have done a complete half job with this game and concentrated all their efforts on the next gen versions, same with their marketing!!!

I just thought I might try to help out those who can't decide between getting this title or letting it pass by.

I am personally very impressed with FIFA 09 for the Wii. I was looking for a new football game, since playing PES 08 Wii for some time started to bore me and the club/player content was outdated. So I bought FIFA 09 without any high hopes, but the game sure did surpass my expectations. The gameplay is kinda similar to PES 08 where you point to pass and in some cases dribble. The shooting system is also like FIFA 08 and you have the "strenght meter" on the shots that you didnt have in PES 08. The graphics are far better than PES 08 and FIFA 08, but still nowhere near PS3/360 level. The defending is also far better in my opinion. It feels like you really have control of the defence, rather than panicing (as in PES 08) while seeing your opposite team strikers come against you with the ball.

Few other thing that I thought EA did a good job with are the different modes that the Wii version have, specially the online modes which are really fun (interactive league for example). It's not just 1v1 matches such as PES 08, but you can also have ranked/unranked matches which gives the online mode more depth.

The only thing that the game suffers from are the graphics (if you compare it to PS3/360, but thats expected) and a few gameplay elements that PES 08 introduced (such as dragging arrows to decide the running points for free players). I still prefer FIFA 09 to be ther better game and think that the game as a whole far surpasses PES 08. Since PES 09 comes out in summer 09? I would say get this game if you're a football fan.

Sorry if something isn't clear, it's really late here and I am about to sleep. If there's anything you're wondering, feel free to ask me.

I'm surprised EA hasn't pushed the Wii verisons harder, after all EA made substanial loses last year - over $500 million, which is a lot. Big developers like EA are being hurt big time by the development costs on the PS3 and the 360.

So if you can't DRAG the players, then surely the only thing you can do is pass where ever you want? Hmm...... I think I'll go with the Wii version only because more of my friends are getting that version; but I actually think the PS3 version sounds better :( What a waste EA, what a waste!!

I can now confirm that Andy Gray says the defender has injured himself after EVERY tackle, whether he has or not. :heh:

I've also discovered that every player i've come across who is high in the rankings actually plays on the all play control method. IMO this shouldn't even be allowed for online play and why would you even want the game playing for you? Also it is the default option for online play which is really frustrating when you forget and start a match.

I've started to play the game with a gamecube controller and found it is much better. With the remote/nunchuck advanced play the forward runs made by players when you press the - button are a joke. Rather than run through they tend to try and get away from their marker which can take them in any random direction, or run in a circle, and you have no idea where to put the ball too.

I can now confirm that Andy Gray says the defender has injured himself after EVERY tackle, whether he has or not. :heh:

I've also discovered that every player i've come across who is high in the rankings actually plays on the all play control method. IMO this shouldn't even be allowed for online play and why would you even want the game playing for you? Also it is the default option for online play which is really frustrating when you forget and start a match.

I've started to play the game with a gamecube controller and found it is much better. With the remote/nunchuck advanced play the forward runs made by players when you press the - button are a joke. Rather than run through they tend to try and get away from their marker which can take them in any random direction, or run in a circle, and you have no idea where to put the ball too.

I want you to convince me to get this game, not discourage me :D Tell me is amazing about it, especially in comparison to Pro Evo Wii!

Before anybody jumps the gun and assumes this is Wii-specific, it also appears on my housemate's 360 version, too.

A question though, on the gamecube control method, do the players make the runs automatically, then? Or, do you press a button to do so?

I have more questions and stuff that I want to ask.

So, it doesn't sound like an absolutely shocking game, which means...EA probably thought "it'll sell itself, lets not market it." The 360 PS3 versions got ads, so I reckon they were marketing it off the back of that, if that makes sense. From the impressions on here, it doesn't sound like a terrible game at home?

I was in TESCO today and they had a big FIFA 09 stand at the bottom of the escalator. The PS2 copies were all sold out, the next to be running low were the 360 version, then the Wii narrowly behind. But the PS3 version was full. So it might not sell too badly.

So reading this then seems to confirm my initial thoughts. It's really only of any use for those who simply couldn't get on with Konami's PES revamp. It certainly doesn't look as good as PES, and it has nowhere the depth of gameplay. So, you have the up to date kits and teams, and a simpler, less demanding game with FIFA. It's like the last gen!

I've been reading similar comments around the net, so for me I will definitely be sticking with PES for my football fun on Wii. In spite of the out of date teams, it has the gameplay in spades, and what with promised improved edit mode and further tweaking of the controls in the next version, it's only going to get better. I simply don't see the point adding £30 into EA's "casual" coffers this year.