N-Europe

The War/Panic Thread

Falcon_BlizZACK

It's the sea of LCL all over again!

If you think the bomb is scary then you should check out nerve agents - these can be sprayed over large areas and are invisible to taste or smell - if one droplet comes in contact with you - your dead in 15 seconds - happy days!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand excited. War is always great for tv new ratings. The news loves hypes like they did in Iraq. I think the problem in this war is that no one really knows who the bad guys are in all this. Was russia really stopping ethnic clensing and it would seem Georgia started an attack for some reason ... and the olympics is far more interesting and where this months foreign reportnign budget has been spent.

:hmm:

GD8299557@An-injured-Georgian-w-2995.jpg

Yeah I understand now your as excited as this woman was when a Russian warplane dropped a bomb on her apartment block, killing at least five people. She's really excited eh? - think your choice of the word excitement got lost in translation.

See, its only when you see the realities of war through a picture like that when you begin to see how F'd war really is. But prior to that, Command and Conquer and the Hell March theme were banging in my head...

Cookyman, im a child for god's sake, what if i had a trauma for that picture? I would sue you :P

But seriously, it was bad choice of word, nothing else, im curious, what do you want me to do?

Yo man, I appreciate you trying to get your point across but please keep pictures out of this.

A picture speaks a thousand words.

See, its only when you see the realities of war through a picture like that when you begin to see how F'd war really is. But prior to that, Command and Conquer and the Hell March theme were banging in my head...

I rest my case!

Cookyman, im a child for god's sake, what if i had a trauma for that picture? I would sue you :P

You stepped into a thread about war. It's your own bluddy fault, is what I would say.

Cookyman: You're right, a picture does show a thousand words. What caught me in that picture was the rubble behind the woman, in the distance. Its just everywhere.

D'oh, me and my broken english X_X

Sorry, Cookyman, bad choice of words then, let me reorganize my speech..

Im curious about what's going to happen next but very scary, you know, like when you see a horror movie? Did you get what i meant now by "Excited"?

Edit: Not really, King_V, just because we play War Games, it doesn't make any difference at all, i think that i will never in my life be able to pull the trigger to kill anyone, or even injure...

A game is a game, i play a game to have fun, i don't go to war to have fun, and i don't want to go to war, so that's wrong, King_V (at least for me, if there's a stupid asshole out there thinking that killing Russians is fun, then he can do it, stupid asshole)

:hehe:

Dude, its 3am...Its all just late night banter, nothing too serious lil buddy.

You stepped into a thread about war. It's your own bluddy fault, is what I would say.

lol, i was kidding, i've seen far worse things than that...

Sometimes it's easier to think of things that way to the casual mind. It's not always best to focus on the nitty gritty even when discussing it. :hmm:

Heh, it's a shame because I think we'll miss out on them, but I would love to play an RTS of modern day wars, when they're history, if that makes sense.

D'oh, me and my broken english X_X

Sorry, Cookyman, bad choice of words then, let me reorganize my speech..

Im curious about what's going to happen next but very scary, you know, like when you see a horror movie? Did you get what i meant now by "Excited"?

I think the word you're looking for is 'apprehensive'?

Hum, nope, i don't think that's the word im looking for, :X

Edit: 3 : viewing the future with anxiety or alarm

Ups, looks like you're right... yep, im anxious and alarmed.

A generation brought up by the media's portrayal of wartime situations? From games (Call of Duty 4 combat/story, Medal of Honor etc) to movies and TV (24) that present only key moments of a negotiation etc. It's not a bright future if that's what we're brought up on, but it's the way we're exposed to things..

'Xactly. Even though these are just theories, I feel such has an indirect affect on us.

Yup I'm going to call it a night too, but I'll leave my closing thoughts.

Before I entered this thread earlier I didn't really think much of the conflict. I realised it was important but I didn't give it much thought because it didn't seem like there was much point. However, having seen some of the interesting discussion that's gone on here tonight, I'll pop back in here and continue the discussion at some other point.

Enjoy the discussion people. Keep it civil :D

I understand excited. War is always great for tv new ratings. The news loves hypes like they did in Iraq. I think the problem in this war is that no one really knows who the bad guys are in all this. Was russia really stopping ethnic clensing and it would seem Georgia started an attack for some reason ... and the olympics is far more interesting and where this months foreign reportnign budget has been spent.

TBH Blender, due to your 'comical' posts, your serious ones can get overlooked. I agree with you...Its not so black and white as Nazi Germany v weak and docile Poland.

That war officially started on the same date as the Olympics - the perfect distraction.

Night all!

That war started on the same date as the Olympics - the perfect distraction.

D'oh - One more post :P

I was thinking about this earlier at work. It's the perfect cover for it - the newspaper headline that struck me today was something along the line of "The greatest show on Earth [referring to the Olympics with a huge splash picture of the fireworks] - but whilst the world has its' head turned.. [writes about the war]". Everyone today was talking about the Olympics. It's as if it's a good cover for the Russians to use because there's already a worldwide event going on, so attention is diverted.

Honestly? Smart tactic..

D'oh - One more post :P

I was thinking about this earlier at work. It's the perfect cover for it - the newspaper headline that struck me today was something along the line of "The greatest show on Earth [referring to the Olympics with a huge splash picture of the fireworks] - but whilst the world has its' head turned.. [writes about the war]". Everyone today was talking about the Olympics. It's as if it's a good cover for the Russians to use because there's already a worldwide event going on, so attention is diverted.

Honestly? Smart tactic..

Bloody filthy, but motherfucking ingenious...Sly bastards. Though I wonder why Bush is really in China... Real dramatical stuff, but it makes a common civilian like me feel so out of control.

But your mistake there is thinking that just because you're smart, it means you'll need less discipline. Which isn't always the case. It kinda seems like you're implying that just because you're not academically sound, you're going to cause trouble, as well.

I did say "more likely". I never by any means meant that everyone who is intellectual doesn't need discipline - hell, I'm a lazy shit, I'm sure I'd benefit from something like that and I got straight A's in my exams last week. I just meant that the 16 system would be a more targeted way of doing it. People who leave at 16 are more likely to be the ones who need it - but not always, obviously. It would be a very straight forward way of attempting to address the growing cultural problems we have in this country.

Also, this example was intended for use in the context of merely introducing it as a way of curbing those problems, and was in general unrelated to my other points which were aimed at a war time crisis implementation of the same thing.

There's quite a bit of difference between not paying your MOT and going to war.

Yes, I know. But the general idea of that statement was to show that it would be the law - something you can't merely avoid, and by comparing it to a simple thing as an MOT I was attempting to show a wider context of that.

So, now its the person letting the country down? What about the country letting the person down? Now, I'm looking for a reason, and not one person in this thread has given a reason of why we should be going to war, other than because the other country is firing at us. If thats the case, then why are they going to war?!

They are going to war to fight for what they believe in. If their beliefs allow them to do so, and ours don't, whose beliefs are going to win? It's an unfortunate truth that violence can often prevail.

We shouldn't be going to war, really, other than the reason stated. I disagree with the concept in general. However, it is a sad truth that the way this world works conflict is inevitable. Going once again with the train of thought "their beliefs may "allow" them to fight", if we are attacked, we aren't going to just surrender, are we?

Also yes, the country is letting the people down somewhat, but if it was impossible to reach diplomatic agreement - sometimes people just plain don't agree, like you and me on this matter. I doubt me replying to your post will have any effect on your beliefs on the matter, same way we will be hard pushed to do anything to convince Al Qaeda round to our way of thinking.

Shit, did I just compare Flinky to Al Qaeda? Sorry, please don't take offence to that, it wasn't meant in with any kind of subtext :p

How do you expect other people to respect your beliefs if you don't respect theirs. Its for that reason alone that people are still bombing each other to shit without a second's thought.

It's not that I don't respect their beliefs. I agree that war isn't right and I'd rather not fight. But frankly, if it's between my beliefs, or simply surrendering those beliefs and allowing myself to be overrun by people who disagree, I know which I'd choose.

But then a country is never going to war. Its the people in that country. And you're saying that one person's view doesn't mean all that much against the whole, which in effect makes the whole idea of a war pointless. Its just people killing people. If thats the case, then each and every person in each and every country is pretty much expendable, right? How can a person possibly go to war and defend a country if its country doesn't defend them first?

Surely a country is the people in it? What else is a country if not that?

I can't word my reply to this part properly so I'll leave it at this; one persons view against the whole doesn't necessarily mean it becomes "people killing people", thats a very selective way of looking at it.

I dunno, most of what I'm trying to say probably isn't coming out properly.

Why didn't they wait until Obama before creating this mess? Maybe it would help :'(

Well, but at least it isn't with Mccain, he looks worse than bush.