NEurope

The combined UK lifetime sales of PS2, DS, PSP, Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii hit 32 million units as of January 31, 2009, according to data from sales monitor Gfk Chart Track.

The data, contained in retailer Game’s latest financial presentation, shows combined Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii sales of ten million units in the UK.

Wii leads the way with 4.9 million sales since launching in December 2006. Having released a year earlier, Xbox 360 sales total 3.2 million. PS3 sales sit at 1.9 million units since the system launched in March 2007.

Combined DS and PSP sales have hit 12 million units in the UK. Since launching in March 2005 the DS has moved 8.8 million units, while PSP has sold 3.2 million units since debuting in September 2005.

The ageing PS2 has sold ten million units since launching in November 2000.

Game’s report also contains lifetime hardware sales for the other territories in which the company operates, which includes France, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, the Czech Republic and Australia.

Combined hardware sales in non-UK Game markets total 42.7 million. Individual platform sales figures largely reflect UK sales trends, with one notable exception – PS3 sales are 300,000 greater than those of Xbox 360.

Combined hardware sales in all Game markets (UK and other) total 74.7 million units.

Earlier today Game posted record results for the financial year ended January 31, 2009, reporting gains in both turnover and profit.

UK Totals:

Wii - 4.9 million (launched December 2006)

Xbox 360 - 3.2 million (launched December 2005)

PS3 - 1.9 million (launched March 2007)

DS - 8.8 million (launched March 2005)

PSP - 3.2 million (launched September 2005)

PS2 - 10 million (launched November 2000)

(average sales per month)

DS: 191,304

Wii: 196,000

PS2: 102,040

360: 86,486

PS3: 86,363

PSP: 80,000

Edge

Edited by Dante

Galaxy has sold 8 million worldwide? Not too bad, I thought it hadn't done that well. It's good to see it sold better than Mario Party.

A bit sad to see the difference in Japanese sales though. In the last year Galaxy has only sold 50,000 copies there...yet has sold 1,870,000 in the rest of the world in the same time period.

Actually all that as a whole shows the massive difference between Japanese Nintendo sales and overseas in recen times. For most titles Japanese sales just make up a tiny portion of total sales now.

The installed base of consoles in the UK has reached 24.2 million units in the UK, according to data from GfK Chart-Track.

As of June 27, 2009, the Wii has sold 5.4 million units, 2.3 million up on the 3.1 million units sold by June 28, 2008.

Sales of Microsoft's Xbox 360 grew from 2.2 million units to 3.9 million, an increase of 1.7 million units in the 12 month period.

Sony's PlayStation 3 had sold 2.2 million units by the end of last month, an increase of 900,000 units from the 1.3 million sold in June 2008.

The Nintendo DS leads the hardware market by a significant margin, as it now stands with 9.1 million units sold in the region, up 2.7 million from 6.4 million in 2008.

Since launch in April 2009, the DSi has sold 300,000 units in the UK, 92,000 of which were sold in its first weekend.

Sony's PlayStation Portable has sold a total of 3.3 million units in the UK, up 1.1 million from the 2.2 million recorded in June 2008.

UK installed base of consoles by June 27, 2009:

* NDS – 9.1m

* Wii – 5.4m

* Xbox 360 – 3.9m

* PSP – 3.3m

* PlayStation 3 – 2.2m

* DSi – 0.3m

www.gamesindustry.biz

Hardware

Q109*    Q108*       LTD
NDS: 5.97M    6.94M    107.75M
WII: 2.23M    5.17M     52.62M
PS2: 1.60M    1.50M    139.30M 
PSP: 1.30M    3.70M     53.00M
360: 1.20M    1.30M     31.20M
PS3: 1.10M    1.60M     23.80M

Software

Q109*    Q108*       LTD
NDS: 29.09M    36.59M    596.00M
WII: 31.07M    40.41M    384.09M
PS2:  8.50M    19.30M   1240.00M
PSP:  8.30M    11.80M    101.40M
360:      ?         ?    270.00M**
PS3: 14.80M    22.80M    190.00M

* The 1Q for Sony and Nintendo is actually 4Q for MS. Those are results for the Q ending June 30, 2009 and June 30, 2008.

** MS doesn't release software numbers. This number comes from the current attach rate of 8.6

Sony Q1 2009 Results

Sony Corp. (6758.TO) said Thursday a slide in consumer spending, the strong yen and hefty restructuring costs pummeled it into a net loss for the first fiscal quarter ended June.

Sony, the home of the Walkman music player and Playstation video game system, said that it made a net loss of Y37.1 billion in the quarter compared with a net profit of Y35.0 billion in the same period a year earlier.

That better than a consensus forecast of a Y109.6 billion net loss compiled by Thomson Reuters from 16 analysts' forecasts. But Sony said it still expects losses in the current fiscal year to be worse that last year's as it continues to restructure unprofitable businesses like its TV operations to cope with the downturn that's hit a slew of Japan's technology companies

Sony is predicting a net loss of Y120 billion for the fiscal year through March 2010, compared with a net loss of Y98.9 billion last time.

As all operations bar its movie studio, music business and financial services division lost money, Sony said total revenue fell 19% to Y1.60 trillion from Y1.98 trillion in the same period a year earlier. At the operating level, Sony sank to a loss of Y25.7 billion, compared with a profit of Y73.4 billion last time.

As the company seeks to cut billions of dollars in costs, Sony Chief Executive Howard Stringer is pushing through a turnaround program involving the loss of some 16,000 jobs. In the first quarter, Sony booked restructuring costs of Y33.9 billion, compared with just Y0.6 billion a year earlier. For the 12 months through March 210, it expects restructuring charges of Y110 billion.

Separately, Sony said it will invest Y10 billion in joint venture with Japan's Sharp Corp. (6753.TO) to produce large liquid crystal display panels and modules.

Sony's earnings based on U.S. accounting standards.

2afg4ns.jpg

f1hQy.jpg

oB6Py.jpg

mHGQ5.jpg

Nintendo Q1 '09 Results

289y0pz.jpg

ratio.png

Wii hardware shipments for the quarter : 2.23 M

Wii software : 31.07 M

Edited by Dante

Hate to spoil the party for you guys, but it seems that Nintendo sales are dropping these days and by a significant percentage.

Over at Spong.com there is a news article which I think you should read entitled "Nintendo sales come crashing down" reporting a 40.1 % net sales loss on year-by-year with a whopping 66.1% operating income loss. I think the article is relevant in this thread.

I predicted that something like this might happen in a post under a topic discussing Zelda TLP several months back (I changed my name from RPGfan to Neogamer);that the Wii would lose interest with the casual gamers at one point because of inadequate software and that Nintendo should watch out for the damage it could cause itself SEGA-style if not delivering enough core-titles to market, especially to satisfy the hardcore gamers.

Perhaps this is what seems to be proved now? The Spong article does mention that the casual and light gamers are getting bored with the Wii for lack of new interesting titles! With the Wii Sports Resort looking more like an upgrade to Wii Sports than anything new and revolutionary, I understand them as I feel what they do and have done so for a long time.

What does the forum members think about this?

I think you're insane. Yeah it's dropped, bit it's STILL selling better than PS3 and 360....so what's your point? Why the doom-mongering? It's selling the best out of all the home consoles and that's cause for worry is it?!!

Also, lets see how well it sells this month with Resort out? And monster Hunter in Japan shall we? I'm not being a fanboy, but these are facts!!!

Call me what you like, Dazzebee. But I am definitely not insane. I know how you feel I think when I write such things as I have in my previous reply. But I think they´re headed for an emerging downturn in sales. If they don´t feed the market with enough classic titles, and with too much shovelware on the Wii (which is a fact!), which is being lamented from many sides I have talked to, they will begin to lose out. It´s not about whether they are currently ahead of Microsoft and Sony. That can very quickly change.

I think as things are now the light gamers will tire of it for lack of something more exciting, and as Spong has stated that´s where things are, apparently, going now. I take it they don´t report such things unless there is substance to it. And I am not the one to call the shots. But in any forum one can freely express views on anything discussed. So try to modify your language, thanks.

In my view there are too many superficial titles on the Wii, with too few classic titles that have enough replayability. I don´t know if this has something to do with a lack of developer resources at Nintendo. But I am seeing it, and that is all. If you don´t think there is a lot of shovelware, fine, that´s your reality. But I have heard before that lots of the Wii titles in the current catalogue are more name than content (not the VC titles). People are getting more and more demanding these days, and if their demands are not met, their will find greener pastures. Fierce competition. Fads and trends. I hope it will never end up where Sony gets right about their day one insistance that the Wii is just a fad which will wear off. But that is up to Nintendo´s developer teams and the gamers.

I have personally been very dissapointed with Nintendo since they launched the Wii to market and DS with a Zelda which was too shallow, a Mario being too difficult, and a Metroid which is too difficult to use with the Wii-mote for lack of responsiveness. Even the Wii Motion Plus is not true 1:1 motion as I have heard reported in the media. If you are a true fanboy, you will hate if I say that I think Nintendo are trying to do too many things at the same time and it is hurting the quality of many of their games. That is my reality, my direct experience after over 10 years of playing their games. Nintendo needs more people I think.

Edited by Neogamer

I have personally been very dissapointed with Nintendo since they launched the Wii to market and DS with a Zelda which was too shallow, a Mario being too difficult, and a Metroid which is too difficult to use with the Wii-mote for lack of responsiveness.

Zelda: PH was a bit shallow but neither NSMB or SMG are difficult and Metroid was very responsive. At least that's my perspective on them, and sure, everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but the most of the masses wouldn't agree with all three of those points you made.

;that the Wii would lose interest with the casual gamers at one point because of inadequate software and that Nintendo should watch out for the damage it could cause itself SEGA-style if not delivering enough core-titles to market, especially to satisfy the hardcore gamers.

In this post, you say Nintendo aren't releasing enough casual or core games...

If you are a true fanboy, you will hate if I say that I think Nintendo are trying to do too many things at the same time and it is hurting the quality of many of their games. That is my reality, my direct experience after over 10 years of playing their games.

And here you say they are spreading themselves too thin...

Can I ask which one it is you believe the problem to be or are you trying to suggest they are doing both?

Edited by Captain Falcon

Modify my language :D Are you a cyborg?

And Galaxy too difficult? And Metroid? huh?

I just don't understand how Wii STILL being the best selling console can be seen as bad!! I just don't understand... I guess thats the price you pay for being so stupidly successful...

The Wii isn't a fad, Sony are moronic, and the fact they have ripped off the Wii with their wand shows how moronic they were saying that. The Wii will continue to be the best selling console, and although I'm a bit disppinted with their releases over the next 6 months, it'll still sell incredibly well, and just think next year a new Mario, new Metroid, maybe a new Pikmin, and who knows what else..plus Zelda along the way!! Plus more amazing 3rd party support.... I guess some people love to moan!

I had posted the 1st quarter of the year results few days ago.

Every consoles has fallen down in sales but not the PS2.

Hardware

Q109*    Q108*       LTD
NDS: 5.97M    6.94M    107.75M
WII: 2.23M    5.17M     52.62M
PS2: 1.60M    1.50M    139.30M 
PSP: 1.30M    3.70M     53.00M
360: 1.20M    1.30M     31.20M
PS3: 1.10M    1.60M     23.80M

Software

Q109*    Q108*       LTD
NDS: 29.09M    36.59M    596.00M
WII: 31.07M    40.41M    384.09M
PS2:  8.50M    19.30M   1240.00M
PSP:  8.30M    11.80M    101.40M
360:      ?         ?    270.00M**
PS3: 14.80M    22.80M    190.00M

* The 1Q for Sony and Nintendo is actually 4Q for MS. Those are results for the Q ending June 30, 2009 and June 30, 2008.

** MS doesn't release software numbers. This number comes from the current attach rate of 8.6

Nintendo Q1 09: Net profit 42,316,000,000 Yen

Sony gamedivision Q1 09: Net Profit -39,700,000,000 Yen

Sony as a whole Q1 09 Net profit -12,600,000,000 Yen

Edited by Dante

I'm surprised Brawl didn't sell more. Nintendo were banging on about it as if it was the best thing since sliced bread!

You don't think 8 million is a lot? It'll probably sell 10m when it's done. I think that's impressive

It's certainly a lot, don't get me wrong. I just guess, I was almost expecting it to outsell Mario Kart Wii. The gap between the two of them is quite considerable. Then again, Mario Kart does have that casual appeal whereas Smash Bros. does not.

Either way, it's topped Melee and it's only been on sell for a year and bit.

I think Mario Kart is a bit of a freak to be honest; no Mario Kart has even come close to these sales and no one was expecting it...it'll be the biggest selling wii game without a major peripheral (the wheel is plastic an doesnt contain any tech, I don't count it)

Captain Falcon wrote:

PH was a bit shallow but neither NSMB or SMG are difficult and Metroid was very responsive. At least that's my perspective on them, and sure, everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but the most of the masses wouldn't agree with all three of those points you made.

I don´t know what you mean by "PH" but I assume it is Twilight Princess. I did not play NSMB, but for me it was not fun to see how difficult was some of the later challenges in SMG. And then they are now talking about making it even more difficult in the next Galaxy... You claim that most of the masses wouldn´t agree with the points I made. May I ask how you know that? Are you looking at the sales numbers to arrive at that conclusion?

My direct experience with gamers on the retail-level is that, apart from hardcoregamers or core gamers, most just want to play something that is not too complicated or difficult to play...or they will either not have the time for it, or they will not like to go on with it as it takes time they don´t have to get good at a game of that type.

This was reported in the media a couple of years back around the time where the Wii was launched. Journalists were busy explaining why the Wii was looking to be such a success. One newsarticle (do not recall which or where) mentioned that, say, a dad of a given family has so much to do apart from gaming to maintain the family that he does not have the time to play through games that are too demanding. The article gave a hint that most families wanted to play something which was immediately accessible and not too demanding in the learning curve.

Nintendo knew that and had already figured out that something like Wii Sports, and later the balancing board, would be good with such people who would then buy the console.

My point is that there must be many people in the masses who never complete games like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda TLP because they find them too difficult to play. Nintendo´s history shows that those games were originally made for the hardcore gamers. Gamers who don´t mind a steeper learning curve, and who do have the time to play through them again and again.

Now comes the question of whether there then is enough other titles that are so immediately accessible to the people who do not (!) have that much time...or if those titles are appealing enough to them! If not, they will tire of the Wii. As plain and as simple as that. I know people, so I know how quickly these light type of gamer can change his or her priorities. Not saying they might wander off to PS3 or XBOX360. I am saying they might stop playing alltogether!

So I repeat: that is all up to Nintendo´s developer teams and the gamers.

As for what I mean by saying that Nintendo is not giving enough time to ensure enough content in their classic titles, I do mean that it is a problem. Once Nintendo had long developement cycles, and delivered awesome titles to market. Few, but awesome. Now they have to keep up with a demand which is many times higher, and from where I am looking it appears that they aren´t quite capable of doing that. Yes, they deliver a lot of games to the markets but they are not of the same quality as before.

I could see it in Mario Kart. The gold mine level for instance was too barren to my liking, too devoid of life, and overall there were too few new tracks when you consider that only one Mario Kart game come out with each console launch. Another example was in Zelda TLP. People I spoke to in game shops and forums on other sites who had played the previous Zelda´s were openly dissapointed by the barren Hyrule countryside with too few things to see, too few details in general throughout the game which was to me proof of a game rushed to market.

There may be other titles where that is seen as well.

PH = Phantom Hourglass

I don't get you. One minute you're saying Wii isn't for core gamers, then you say Metroid, Zelda and Mario are too hard!!!! You talk cack... Metroid and Zelda are sifficient for the gamers they are targetting - they're not getting the wii crowd.

And yes, Galaxy is difficult to get EVERY star, but the casual gamers you think it's alientaing will feel satisified getting the 70 you need to complete the game. I know this because my family who have never played games ever, my under 5 nephews and non gaming friends have completed mario galaxy - not every star, but enough to make them excited for Galaxy 2.

And Nintendo are doign enough for these NEW gamers, Resort shows that, and the sales numbers of both the Wii and console for the months of August onwards will show they still cater for these and attract even more.

Mate, you're doom mongering for no reason and sill arguments. Everyone has a right to share their opinion, but you need to try harder...

Dazzybee, I wrote that it is a question of whether there are enough other titles to satisfy the light gamers to keep them on the platform. That is what I wrote. You misinterprete my post and...you need to get your spelling right too! So try harder yourself, mate. I don´t have any problems.

Bloody hell the only come back is the fact I miss-spelt a couple of words? I don't know why I bother. If all you're saying is "Are there enough games to satisfy the casual gamers on the Wii?" then firstly, you need to be WAY more succinct in your writing, and secondly, answered it. Yes, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus and EA Active 2 and all the crap 3rd parties release will be more than enough for them...

Due to the fact I spelt everything correctly you may struggle for a respsonse.

I wrote that it is a question of whether there are enough other titles to satisfy the light gamers to keep them on the platform. Because it is the light gamers who reversed Nintendo´s fortunes in the console war, not the core gamers. And as for Metroid. Well, Metroid has always been, and still is, very hard to play. Retro themselves admitted that Metroid Prime 2, for example, was too difficult (EDGE Magazine interview last year), which was relieving to hear since it was a hell to get through. and it isn´t made better by the fact that in Prime 3 the Wiimote sometimes do not respond when in a boss battle. That puts me off. Make me not want to play anymore. Hard games require spot on controls. The Wiimote is not always that, and in Metroid that is unforgivable because it makes it too frustrating to play, losing ones desire to continue. Nolonger feeling in control.

Further, on one hand you write that your non-gamer friends and family elders play Wii Mario Galaxy, but in the same breath you say that that type of games are not for the Wii crowd! You contradict yourself. What are you getting at? Are you reading my posts at all? Try copying the text in my posts, paste it into the reply field so you can see what I wrote while you write your reply. I do that with yours and others. Otherwise, so it seems, you hastily forget what I wrote, probably because previous posts in a thread cannot be seen when replying.

You also write that you think Nintendo is doing enough for these new gamers with Wii Sports Resort. My reply: time will tell if they are. Wii Sports Resort is little more than Wii Sports 1.5, and this is probably not enough to keep gamers who perhaps bought the console for only that type of games!

I am not a doom monger. I am more like a kind of industry watcher, with a keen desire to keep the best videogame companies out of trouble. In this case, I want Nintendo to avoid repeating their mistakes of the past where they lost their #1 position in videogaming because they stubbornly could, or would not, understand, or care, that they had to make it affordable for developers to make games. Sony won over them because of that with the Playstation 1. So even though profitable, they were nolonger #1 in sales from N64 and forward until Wii. Two console generations where they sat in the shadows, have taught me that nomatter how rosy it looks Nintendo have some inherent ability to make a mess for themselves because of stubbornness. So I am merely watching them now, seeing what they do. Commenting on it, expressing my view on the results of it. Based off of my own experience with what they have done so far in previous console generations.

Recently, during the relocation of their US headquarters, they effectively sacked three top employees (giving them no alternative but to move away from their communities, and everything they knew in life, which they all declined) who had been loyal to them for many years. One of these were mocked during her last public conference with Reggie Fils Aimee, by what appeared to be gaming press. I was appalled, and felt very angry with Nintendo for acting in such an outrageous manner. What it all comes down to, is that if Nintendo forget the PEOPLE who made them the #1, they will pay over the karma. And that is where they could land in trouble. Again.

I followed them for all of these years, read everything there was to read about the reasons for their previous downfall. With the Wii they improved a lot, but I have a problem with too many shallow games on the platform also known as shovelware. And that is not doom mongering, but cautioning.

My verdict so far: They should avoid being perceived as a console for the light gamer, with few AAA titles, and a virtual backcatalogue of honourable but 10-20 year old games.

In these times of intense struggles to win over the other gamemaker, it is all about who manages to keep the non-hardcore gamers happy, not the core-gamers. They are there nomatter what they do.

So again I repeat: It is up to Nintendo, and the gamers.

If you don´t understand me now, either you´re not reading my posts properly or we´re simply not on the same page intellectually here.

I'm not going to lie, I don't know how to quote specific sections....heeeeeeaaalllp!!!!!

"Prime 3 the Wiimote sometimes do not respond when in a boss battle. That puts me off. Make me not want to play anymore."

I find this comment weird. I thought the controls were excellent and faultless. What actually did you struggle with on the boss battles?

"Further, on one hand you write that your non-gamer friends and family elders play Wii Mario Galaxy, but in the same breath you say that that type of games are not for the Wii crowd! You contradict yourself."

No I didn't. I said Metroid and Zelda aren't for these people! Read my post again.

I think Nintendo are safe in the commercial and popularity stakes, but I'm not as bothered about that. I just don't want them to abandon their core franchises, or dilute them; I think they're doing a great job of these on the Wii, I just worry about the frequency of them.

But ultimately, Nintendo will continue to be the best selling console throughout the first phase of this generation (I actually think this gen will last a LONG time, and we'll see UPDATES of consoles i.e. Wii HD) and a slow in sales is nothing to worry about.

I will add that I wish Nintendo were more active in enticing the blinded HARDCORE gamer though... Online being the biggie!!!

Ok, I agree, you wrote that it was Mario Galaxy that was for the Wii crowd. fair enough.

"Prime 3 the Wiimote sometimes do not respond when in a boss battle. That puts me off. Make me not want to play anymore."

I find this comment weird. I thought the controls were excellent and faultless. What actually did you struggle with on the boss battles?

The Ice boss, after the room where Samus is attacked by several enemies on the floor. I could not get the damn thing to respond to my command to hold onto his Ice Armour, and rip it off. It kept happening, and so I lost out too many times after which I took the game and sold it. I didn´t care to wait two weeks while some people examine the Wiimote probably only to get back to me saying nothing is wrong with it. It must be a case-by-case problem which is something to do with programming of the Wiimote in the game. Or something with the Wii-mote or sensor bar itself. I guarantee I am not exaggerating. One gamer here at N-europe.com wrote to me I should use exaggerated movements to get it to work. It didn´t. So I got enough.

I just don't want them to abandon their core franchises, or dilute them; I think they're doing a great job of these on the Wii, I just worry about the frequency of them.

I agree totally. See, the word you used there - dilute! THAT is my problem with Zelda TLP for one game!

But ultimately, Nintendo will continue to be the best selling console throughout the first phase of this generation (I actually think this gen will last a LONG time, and we'll see UPDATES of consoles i.e. Wii HD) and a slow in sales is nothing to worry about.

We´ll see about that.

Dazzybee, you quote text in prior posts within a thread by first marking the text with your mouse. Then you click on the QUOTE-button above the reply field (just hold the mouse over the various buttons and you will get a text popping up telling which button is for what). and, voila!: you get it entombed in a quote-field which looks much nicer in replies.

I just wanna quickly pop in and say:

With the Wii, i've never seen so many gamers who loved one console (Gamecube) go on to abandon the same consoles successor (Wii). For the last 2 years we've been having this debate and people keep getting rid of their Wii's because there's little to play on it and FAR more quality titles on 360/PS3. I mean, just look at metacritic; over 130 360 games have a score over 80% compared to barely 50 Wii games. I'm sorry, but this isn't good enough and Nintendo seriously need to up their game. Us core nintendo gamers last gen only missed out on a few AAA titles on other systems but I was happy there with my RE4, WW, Prime, Melee etc, however this generation the support the 360 has got in terms of games has been mindblowing.

Also about TP, MP3 and SMG:

TP: Amazing dungeons which were very well thought out but the game inbetween dungeons was dreadful. Music was terrible and the game was far too easy (I didn't die once).

SMG: Easiest Mario game ever made. Even after you beat bowser there is no challenge. I waited until i had 90 stars before the final fight simply because I wanted to get as many stars as possible before the final fight but dear god it's FAR too easy. I went to the final fight simply for a challenge (which I kinda got actually, i remember dying a few times before even getting to the fight).

MP3: The game was quality.

Neogamer I've been trying to read what you're saying but non of it is making any sense to me. You're trying to apply your own ideals and thoughts to the strategy of marketing and selling a console worldwide, non of it makes sense.

I don't think the lack of AAA games or amount of shovalware really effects the console - the average Wii house hold buys ~ 3 games per years (Check the NPD reports) so Nintendo's line up of Wii Sports Resort, NSMB, Wii Fit Plus, Mario and Sonic 2 and the third party stuff should easily suffice. The PS2 was never harmed by its software line up either, and that had tons of **** on it.

Nintendo are making their games more accessible - SMG was very easy to complete (just 60 stars!) And MP3 had a hint system take you through the game step by step with an easy difficulty setting. TLW was a GameCube game and targeted at the core Nintendo fan, I found it piss easy but again had that hint system. The fact these games are all outselling their Gamecube iterations shows that they must have appealed to a larger audience then before (Especially Mario Kart).

So why are sales down? Well the obvious reason is the current economy - thats why all console sales are down (Except for the price-cut PS2). I'd also point that in the quarter you're comparing them to last year they launched Smash Bros, MArio Kart Wii and Wii Fit with the asscociated marketing blitz for each, whereas their release schedule this year is more Q2 (Jul-Sept) / Q3 (Oct - Dec) heavy.

The biggest question for Nintendo is what next - Wii HD will probably launch before Sony and Microsoft announce another console and with both of those reaching a mainstream pricepoint by then - plus their further attempts to catch the casual market I do wonder if Nintendo will be able to continue their success. There's no point in either of us debating something so speculative though.