NEurope
Mucky.Fingers

Metal Gear Solid vs The Twin Snakes

I pretty much agree with Jordan, the original MGS is now unplayable because of the camera, I much prefer TS, even the cinematics, they're freaking awesome.

It's not unplayable... up to that point every MGS game was played from a top down view (with the exception of the side scrolling section in the none Kojima sequel to Metal Gear) and they added an extra dimension and it worked then and it still works now. I recently replayed it and yes at first it did feel odd but you soon get used to.

People are spoilt now by dual stick controls where camera's can be more controlled, but MGS stood out as a unique experience at the time as it still stands up as being just as playable. It wasn't unplayable then and just because it is a product of its time as is every form of media does not suddenly make it unplayble.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Think I'm gonna try and hunt down a cheap copy of Twin Snakes (If anyone knows where I can find one, not ebay) If not I will pick up the original.

Thanks again :)

I prefer the original MGS solely for the soundtrack. The Twin Snakes OST ruins the emotional impact of a bunch of scenes completely and the music in the original game is sublime.

Gameplay wise, the new aiming in Twin Snakes really makes the game far, far too easy. They didn't add anything in accounting for the fact it made things easier so it's almost like having a God mode of sorts added to the game.

Not every game need a remake even if it has aged and MGS1 certainly hadn't aged nearly enough to require one at all, especially one that didn't have much new to offer. Even the graphical update is a tad on the soulless side and has an inferior colour palette to the original game.

Hate to be a c-c-c-combo breaker 'n all, but since when does my name have two o's in it? >.>

oh yer... opps, sorry Jordan! ;)

TTS > Original

/thread

those who prefer the original? fine... but SK did a fine job on improving upon what was allready there, it is just the better version IMO. :smile:

It's not unplayable... up to that point every MGS game was played from a top down view (with the exception of the side scrolling section in the none Kojima sequel to Metal Gear) and they added an extra dimension and it worked then and it still works now. I recently replayed it and yes at first it did feel odd but you soon get used to.

People are spoilt now by dual stick controls where camera's can be more controlled, but MGS stood out as a unique experience at the time as it still stands up as being just as playable. It wasn't unplayable then and just because it is a product of its time as is every form of media does not suddenly make it unplayble.

Up to that point there were not MGS there were only MG :P And if you couldn't see the enemies, usually you wouldn't see them either, while in MGS you had to hide, but you couldn't see the people you have to hide from (which is why the camera is so terrible MGS3), which is most likely the main reason why they made the radar. It has nothing to do with being spoilt, I felt this when the game came out.

Up to that point there were not MGS there were only MG :P And if you couldn't see the enemies, usually you wouldn't see them either, while in MGS you had to hide, but you couldn't see the people you have to hide from (which is why the camera is so terrible MGS3), which is most likely the main reason why they made the radar. It has nothing to do with being spoilt, I felt this when the game came out.

Ok so all the MG games were top down. MGS 3 is totally different as yes that kinda camera does not work in an open environment. I still maintain the original is better than Twin Snakes.

All i think is , MGS1 Harder Than Twinsnakes which is clearly right , Twinsnakes prefered over Mgs1 because its more fun and wont bore trying to complete again.

All i think is , MGS1 Harder Than Twinsnakes which is clearly right , Twinsnakes prefered over Mgs1 because its more fun and wont bore trying to complete again.

Well I played reasonably far into it first time round and then recently replayed it and it was far from boring.

both are good. I prefer the music in the PS1 one. Grpahics are much nicer in Twin Snakes.

I've got MGS for the PSone but the disk is deeply scratched and always freezes after i beat the ninja and the cut scene with Otacon starts. I've took it to have the scratches removed to no avail. Does anybody know where I can get MGS or MGS: TTS from for a price that isn't extortionate?

I've got MGS for the PSone but the disk is deeply scratched and always freezes after i beat the ninja and the cut scene with Otacon starts. I've took it to have the scratches removed to no avail. Does anybody know where I can get MGS or MGS: TT from for a price that isn't extortionate?

Dunno, you might get lucky with ebay? Although i know TT does tend to go for quite abit on there but i am not sure on MGS.