NEurope
Chanser

New Wii Update 3.3

The Freeloader shit makes me really angry. It's not long out is it? I was planning on importing No More Heroes and buying a Freeloader when I have a bit of money. I am NEVER playing the European version of that game and I don't give a shit if the Japanese version was the same. Shallow decision or not, I want things closest to their original vision and Suda did say that the violence was what he intended (which is obvious anyway as he's already notorious for liking violent stuff).

What is the twilight hack?

Pretty annoyed at this, though just wont update, theres nothing in the update anyway. Then I'll finish No More Heroes ASAP. And then see what happens with Datel. Regretting buying Smash Bros though; havent really played it since I bought it and it's coming out in the UK soon!!!

Problem with not updating is gonna be that future games will probably force the update upon you whether you want it or not.

Problem with not updating is gonna be that future games will probably force the update upon you whether you want it or not.

You could use the Freeloader on those games to skip the updates.

What is the twilight hack?

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess that permits homebrew developers and every day users to run unofficial Homebrew software from a Secure Digital card card inserted into the slot on the front of the Wii. Notably, this is the first way found to boot homebrew software without the use of hardware modifications to the Wii console.

This hack exploits a buffer overflow error caused by loading a specially crafted save file for Twilight Princess. The save file stores the name of the horse in the game (canonically "Epona"). This save file presents a name much longer than expected to the Twilight Princess game, which causes the Wii system to crash when it tries to load the horse's name. With this crash, the system is made to run a loader program (which was loaded by the game as part of the name) instead of the code of Twilight Princess, that then proceeds to load a program from the Wii's front SD card slot. Any program that is placed on the root of the SD card, with the file-name "boot.elf", will run.

Numerous applications have been written that can be run using this method. Because the hack loads an application through a glitch in Twilight Princess, the game must be loaded each time the user desires to run a homebrew application. Certain programs have been made to install custom Wii Menu channels, so that the applications can be run from the Wii Menu instead of the Twilight Hack.

doesn't it let you download any VC or wiiware games for free or am i barking up the wrong tree

Yes Twilight hack does let you download VC or wiiware games for free.

Well, sorry to say this, but I think Nintendo should attempt to stop piracy by all means necessary. Allthough I think Nintendo should enable people to play homebrew games.

what pisses me off is why i didnt hear of this method until now:) damn i;m losing my touch.

Well, sorry to say this, but I think Nintendo should attempt to stop piracy by all means necessary. .

yamn most of the time it's not the software but what people can use it for..Take a bittorrent program like utorrent for instance. Same with emulators its the roms that are illegal.

Yes Twilight hack does let you download VC or wiiware games for free.

All the twilight hack allows you to do is run the wad installer which allows you to install virtual console games. You download the VC or WW games from your comp.

People found a way to make twilight hack work again.

It’s interesting to look at the timestamps here. The System Menu has a build marker of “systemmenu.rvl.0803060727″ – yes, that’s March 6, 2008, 07:27. This update to the menu only accomplished one thing, as far as I can tell — the blocking of the TP hack. (I guess we can count the IOS30 patch together with it.) They spent 3 months testing it — this isn’t actually that surprising, when you consider the potential financial damage if they roll an update out that bricks Wiis.

Congrats to tmbinc and tehpola for finding a combination of two bugs in the code that Nintendo added that — when combined — allow us to fool their check into ignoring the TP hack. More info will be forthcoming — I still wouldn’t rush to update my system, anyway.

This still leaves the issue of how to deal with IOS30; there are several different ways to deal with this — some of which have already been released by people — and we’ll need to take some time to decide on the best one to use and test it thoroughly. There’s no urgency here, no need to rush into something.

The TP hack is an exploit of a buffer overflow in Twilight Princess.

The only way Nintendo could fix the hack for good is by patching Twilight Princess itself, which isn't possible.

They have to manually patch the Wii system for specific exploitation code segments.

Meh, he's not saying "zomg get it here."

Plus it shows Nintendo don't patch propperly.

This is great. So the update stops the freeloader from working but is completely useless at stopping piracy?

Anybody want a Wii? Was already thinking of selling it, just wanted to get Prime 3 out of the way first.

Damnit, no online for my Wii for a while... Which means I won't be able to download the Ninja Gaiden demo when I get home.:mad:

Glad I completed One Piece: Unlimited Adventure a couple of weeks ago.

I was going to import second Naruto game.. This update makes me a sad Ramar.

Damnit, no online for my Wii for a while... Which means I won't be able to download the Ninja Gaiden demo when I get home.:mad:

Why not? It doesnt update automatically when you go online. You have to accept the update. You're still safe.

Glad I completed One Piece: Unlimited Adventure a couple of weeks ago.

Lucky bastard

This is great. So the update stops the freeloader from working but is completely useless at stopping piracy?

Anybody want a Wii? Was already thinking of selling it, just wanted to get Prime 3 out of the way first.

Try to know what you're talking about. Just the twilight hack alone allows for a lot of piracy, the freeloader works because of a trucha sign bug, which allows games to be hacked and other region games to work.

I too got the freeloader just to play Brawl. But then Brawl is a game you can get replay value from, just get the European version and sell the import if you want the update. Not like unlocking characters was difficult.

Can't say that I'm surprised. I think that it's pretty short sighted of people to have bought the freeloader expecting Nintendo to NOT stop it. They have always hated stuff like that and I say fair play to them.

Hold onto it for the summer and you might get a pretty penny if you sell it in the run up to Christmas. You never know how short in supply they will be this year again.

As for this update... 3.3 is it? Well how fitting because, no joke, my Wii lit up at bang on 3am this morning with news of it. I groggily made the update (as is usual with these seeing as they always come in the wee small hours) and I'm not too worried about what its blocked. I haven't dabbled in the land of the Freeloader or anything. I'll try out this Mii's to the Mii Parade thing, but I doubt its too revolutionary. :wink:

The Mii thing is just an excuse :P I love it how people are quick to go berserk and talk without knowing a single thing about it. Also, remember the WiiShop update back in March? Yeah, that update already had code that was preparing to fix the trucha bug and everyone was warned.