Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

In all honesty, this is the most confident I have felt going into a Champions League match against Chelsea (even though they have become a lot more stable since Hiddink arrived..)

Liverpool are bang on form and fueled with confidence.. I'm not sure how these games will turn out though. They are always tight and cagey.. but part of me feels that it will be different this time. I can really see Liverpool going all out to try to win the tie at Anfield tomorrow night.. but then there is the risk of conceding an away goal, of course :heh:

I'm excited anyway.. you have to enjoy these matches :yay:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really think you can put the equaliser down to spirit...

This is honestly the worst I've ever seen them play, Porto could have quite easily scored 4 goals by now!

Sssh, don't tell everyone that.

Haha, for those who didn't see it, it was the easiest and flukiest goal Rooney will ever score. I was chuckling when it went in.

You're right though, we're not playing great. I've only really seen Evra and Scholes play well, so far.

TEVEEEEEEZZZZZZZ!

Our performance tonight was shocking. At 2-1, it looked like we had escaped and not paid the price for that display. But, 2-2...

We played better in the second half, but it just wasn't a great performance. Pretty angry really.

At 2-1, you'd have expected the defence to tighten up and close off the game.

There were just so many things wrong tonight. The only players that I saw who had any fight in them were Evra, Rooney and Fletcher. The midfield were asleep, and we provided very little to Rooney upfront, who was again tracking back to midfield because that was the only position where he was getting the ball.

I was pleased to see Tevez get the second goal, as I think he works hard, even if it doesn't always come off for him. But, for the rest of the team, where was the closing down? It has been exactly the same for the last few games. The team has sat back, invited pressure, and many opponents have responded and made a game of it.

There's just no fight in the team, and it's worrying. It's not doom and gloom as there is a second leg, but it won't be an easy place to go.

Manchester United were very poor tonight.. Porto came away with the least they deserved!

I was pretty glad to see it.. I suspected United would get a significant lift from the comeback at the weekend, but they came crashing back down to earth tonight! They looked very tired, and big Edwin has been looking a little shakey of late :eek: ..and Porto were unlucky not to get a penalty when it was 1-1!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night.. come on Liverpool :yay:

Manchester United were very poor tonight.. Porto came away with the least they deserved!

I was pretty glad to see it.. I suspected United would get a significant lift from the comeback at the weekend, but they came crashing back down to earth tonight! They looked very tired, and big Edwin has been looking a little shakey of late :eek: ..and Porto were unlucky not to get a penalty when it was 1-1!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night.. come on Liverpool :yay:

I think some of the players are tired. It's the second game in a matter of days since International Duty, but that can't be helped.

The break between now and the game against Sunderland will be crucial, I think. The players need to find their focus and think back to what they were doing months ago that they're not doing now. Maybe it is complacency kicking in.

Well I wouldn't say Vande was shakey, but yeah it was a poor performance. Since the Liverpool game it's like they have lost confidence. Maybe I expect too much out of the side - they have been bogged down with fixtures this year and make no bones about it - any side that is still in the competition now is very good.

I think it is key we get Vidic and Rio together along with more capable centre backs. Rooney is always brilliant - really grown on me (further) the past few games 100% effort, great skill and most of the time pivotal.

If they hadn't beat Aston Villa at the weekend, I think Liverpool would have been in the driving seat for the Premier League.. but as it is, Man United still have a significant edge and can be thankful they are playing Sunderland this saturday and not a team who are likely to pose a more significant threat!

As for tomorrow night, I haven't seen a lot of Chelsea recently but I definitely don't go into the quarter final with any fears.. only optimism :heh:

Well I wouldn't say Vande was shakey, but yeah it was a poor performance. Since the Liverpool game it's like they have lost confidence. Maybe I expect too much out of the side - they have been bogged down with fixtures this year and make no bones about it - any side that is still in the competition now is very good.

I think it is key we get Vidic and Rio together along with more capable centre backs. Rooney is always brilliant - really grown on me (further) the past few games 100% effort, great skill and most of the time pivotal.

Rooney will always do that. He'll chase lost causes, and the crowd love him for that.

I think we've missed a solid player at right back, like Wes Brown. He had an outstanding season for us last year, and tonight was the sort of game we needed him in. In a way, I do feel sorry for the likes of Johnny Evans, because he is relatively young and still has a lot to learn, so it must have been really difficult for him in the last few games.

If they hadn't beat Aston Villa at the weekend, I think Liverpool would have been in the driving seat for the Premier League.. but as it is, Man United still have a significant edge and can be thankful they are playing Sunderland this saturday and not a team who are likely to pose a more significant threat!

As for tomorrow night, I haven't seen a lot of Chelsea recently but I definitely don't go into the quarter final with any fears.. only optimism :heh:

The thing is, I personally think United are a better team when the odds are against them, or when they're chasing, rather than being chased. So, had we lost at Villa, or drawn, I think we'd still have a right go at it til the end of the season.

Tomorrow should hopefully take a lot out of Chelsea and Liverpool. Although, I'm feeling a 1-0 win for Chelsea, with Essien getting the winner. Should be a good game, I think.

Interesting prediction.. I actually anticipate a strange game with more goals than previous years :heh: I hope Liverpool can maintain the intensity of recent weeks and take the game to Chelsea from kick-off! It is the sort of night where Dirk Kuyt usually chips in with an important goal.. and there is no sign of Riise for an unfortunate away goal this time :heh:

Interesting prediction.. I actually anticipate a strange game with more goals than previous years :heh: I hope Liverpool can maintain the intensity of recent weeks and take the game to Chelsea from kick-off! It is the sort of night where Dirk Kuyt usually chips in with an important goal.. and there is no sign of Riise for an unfortunate away goal this time :heh:

Chelsea have their own way of bossing the game, particularly at home, although Anfield will be a different atmosphere entirely. I think they'll try to slow the game down from the start and place at their own pace. If Liverpool can get early possession, though, they can dictate the game and play it at a higher tempo. I guess it really depends on how the teams start off.

Plus, Chelsea are bastards at sneaking goals.

Chelsea have their own way of bossing the game, particularly at home. I think they'll try to slow the game down from the start and place at their own pace. If Liverpool can get early possession, though, they can dictate the game and play it at a higher tempo. I guess it really depends on how the teams start off.

Plus, Chelsea are bastards at sneaking goals.

Haha.. I remember how low I felt after that goal 'sneaked' in from Riise last year.. I knew it would be crucial :hmm:

You can never predict football though.. anything could happen tomorrow night! However, if Liverpool are on their game and hounding every ball it could make Chelsea's night very uncomfortable :smile:

Haha.. I remember how low I felt after that goal 'sneaked' in from Riise last year.. I knew it would be crucial :hmm:

You can never predict football though.. anything could happen tomorrow night! However, if Liverpool are on their game and hounding every ball it could make Chelsea's night very uncomfortable :smile:

See, more proof that Chelsea are buggers. I personally want to outlaw own goals, or basically any goals that Chelsea score, but it really wouldn't be allowed.

I think it depends on if Chelsea can get the likes of Essien and Drogba into the game. You get Essien in, and he'll boss that midfield. Likewise, with Liverpool, it really depends on the service to Torres. If Chelsea can block off that service, produce a strong defensive display, I think they'll nick it.

Haha, I don't want them to!

If I had my way, both games would end goal-less with the entire extra time played, penalties, and maybe you could all come down with the flu. Haha, if only.

..and stay out :blank:

Obviously I would like Liverpool to go and practically kill Chelsea off tomorrow night if possibly, but I'll be happy if we go into the second leg at Stamford Bridge with an advantage (however slim :heh:)

..and stay out :blank:

Obviously I would like Liverpool to go and practically kill Chelsea off tomorrow night if possibly, but I'll be happy if we go into the second leg at Stamford Bridge with an advantage (however slim :heh:)

Heh, I'm off to bed, so hopefully hugs from Ine/Eenuh will cheer me up after tonight.

As long as Lampard doesn't get the only goal in the game, I'll be happy.

Heh, I'm off to bed, so hopefully hugs from Ine/Eenuh will cheer me up after tonight.

As long as Lampard doesn't get the only goal in the game, I'll be happy.

..it's nice to get the hugs for comfort, but they'll never understand the true pain we suffer :heh:

Enjoy the cuddles : peace: I'm sure we will resume communications tomorrow night when the results are in :yay:

There's only one word really.

HULK

That guy was bloody awesome, can't believe he is only 22. Needs to distribute the ball a little better but his all round play is awesome. Thought he was a bit unlucky not to get a pen at the end, Tevez chopped him down and got none of the ball.

:( What it must be like to support decent teams :cry: :p

I only watched the first half of the utd match, but i've got to say your defending was piss poor; better than ours, but never the less, piss poor. your passing game and attacking play got better as the half progressed and all in all it made for a decent watch.

Shame i had to miss the second half :mad:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!