N-Europe

Bourne Conspiracy

flameboy

Just completed the quick 3 "level" demo of this. Wondered if anyone else had played it as is due out soon?

Firstly I am a massive Bourne fan read the books years ago and despite the films being quite different in some of the plotlines I do still love them and was eagerly waiting for this game.

The game kinda works and kinda doesn't. What it succeeds in doing is portraying the kinetic and frantic nature of the films, in its combat system and mission structure. The combat has that same visceral feeling as the the films and when doing takedowns they feel every bit as brutal as the best fights from the film trilogy.

Where it kinda falls down is in its attempt to demonstrate cinematic prowess. Firstly it does do it well as eveything remains in game engine so you are not taken away from the experience. The game can often be split into mere seconds of gameplay followed by a cut scene where Jason does some cool combat related stunts and then back to hand to hand or run and gun play, where it gets hard is when it splices the cut scenes together with some quick time events which sometimes don't work as well as you would expect. You can be running down a corridor normal as you like it and then the button pops up for QTE and you totally miss it...if you are pressing the trigger to sprint it will sometimes take this as your button press and result in failure. There is a sound that is played just prior to a QTE but these sometimes can be missed in the madness... There is no doubt though it feels really cinematic and epic and this is just with some of the films smaller scenes.

It also has driving areas which look cooler than they are are. The best bits are actually quick time events which is where most of the stunt stuff happens the rest of the time its kinda a generic dodge the cops affair.

I think this title will largely get missed amongest the crowd, especially on PS3 because of MGS 4. But I do think it looks like it could be a film license (ok technically not film as is based on the books so the character is a generic Jason not the Matt Damon version, but a lot of the set pieces seem to share being "shot" in the same way as the film) that benefits from not being rushed out at cinema or dvd release.

I thought it was pretty shit, I've never been fan of QTE's and the graphics are ugly. I would've much preferred an Assassin's Creed or GTA style game where you can take your own time. I hated the idea of being ushered along with no exploration.

I loved the demo. Except for the driving part.

But I do think it looks like it could be a film license (ok technically not film as is based on the books so the character is a generic Jason not the Matt Damon version, but a lot of the set pieces seem to share being "shot" in the same way as the film) that benefits from not being rushed out at cinema or dvd release.

It's kind of a mixture of both. Matt Damon would only let them use his likeness if they made it into a Myst-like game.

I quite like the cinematic style of the game, and the way it does QTE (although I think it would have been better if they make the buttons you need to press resemble the actual game controls more rather than random buttons).

It won't be absolutely amazing, but it will still probably be a lot of fun. Something that some supposedly great games seem to forget.

I loved the demo. Except for the driving part.

It's kind of a mixture of both. Matt Damon would only let them use his likeness if they made it into a Myst-like game.

I quite like the cinematic style of the game, and the way it does QTE (although I think it would have been better if they make the buttons you need to press resemble the actual game controls more rather than random buttons).

It won't be absolutely amazing, but it will still probably be a lot of fun. Something that some supposedly great games seem to forget.

yeah that would work better because it is completely random and changes everytime...

I still think this game could be pretty good and won't get it now but maybe in the future...think it could be a lot of fun...

I was put off by the controls. Seemed kinda awkward. I'm sure I'd get used to them but after playing GTA for so long they seemed weird, also I didn't like the shooting/cover parts. Hand to Hand was great though.

I was put off by the controls. Seemed kinda awkward. I'm sure I'd get used to them but after playing GTA for so long they seemed weird, also I didn't like the shooting/cover parts.

I found the controls to be really smooth after playing GTA for most of the week.

Well people who hate the driving section of the demo need not worry there is only one in the game i think;

Similarly, the game's lone driving sequence does a nice job of replicating another scene from the films. It's strange to see a button-pressing minigame pop up in the middle of a car chase -- these minigames are everywhere you look, and Bourne presents them relatively well -- but this lone sequence is especially impressive and good-looking.