NEurope
Tellyn

Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip (Balance Board Compatible)

New images:

71921520080717_153337_0_big.jpg

71921520080717_153337_1_big.jpg

71921520080717_153337_2_big.jpg

71921520080717_153337_3_big.jpg

71921520080717_153337_4_big.jpg

These new screens look much better. It actually looks pretty good... bah, who am I trying to fool?

C'mon Nintendo, announce 1080 white hurricane!

its going for a smooth clean look and its succeeding there... but its not very detailed at all. :(

It looks weightless. From the snowboarder, to those buildings and the rocks.

They may as well all be made out of paper.

Trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36946.html

Damn you Ubisoft, I actually liked that trailer! though I think it was the music and use of a reasonably hot girl that helped matters!

Still think we deserve far far more [5 years on from 1080 Avalanche], but I'm looking at this slightly better now.

Extremely boring course in that trailer mind you! There best be better than that!

Trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36946.html

Damn you Ubisoft, I actually liked that trailer! though I think it was the music and use of a reasonably hot girl that helped matters!

Still think we deserve far far more [5 years on from 1080 Avalanche], but I'm looking at this slightly better now.

Extremely boring course in that trailer mind you! There best be better than that!

That's actually a pretty good trailer for the game. :)

Good song used in it, and it was cheesy, but not overly or so cheddar that it made you sick.

1080 on gc stil lllookn beter than this.why ninty no makde new 1008? It would by much better for thhem , the wii and the gammer than this form ubi

1080 on gc stil lllookn beter than this.why ninty no makde new 1008? It would by much better for thhem , the wii and the gammer than this form ubi

drink much?

I actually thought it was 1080 when I first saw the first glimpse of the game in the conference. This game seems like it could be fun, even with the cardboard box mountains.

I had no idea who Shaun White was.. so when all this talk of snowboarding was taking place all I could think of was "This is gonna be 1080.. I've been waiting for this day! :yay:"

There was a guy on the balance board, it cuts to a clip of him where all I can see in the background is part of the word 'Snowboarding' and I was so happy :smile: ..then came the revelation that it was Shaun White Snowboarding and my heart just sank..

"If Nintendo are showing this, that means there's no 1080 :sad:", I said to my girlfriend.

Despite my disappointment, the demonstration looked better than I expected.. but it's just not the game I want :hmm: Nothing has ever come close to 1080 for me..

With the lack of 1080 Snowboarding, I continued to watch hoping to see at least one or two of my favourite games (such as Wave Race and F-Zero) brought to the Wii but nothing was mentioned..

I'll keep an eye on this but I have tried other Showboarding games (SSX Tricky/3/On Tour/Blur, Amped and Coolboarders 2) and none of these touch the original 1080 or, in my opinion, the very underrated 1080 Avalanche!

SWS gets some new visual effects and a new subtitle:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/901/901686p1.html

US, August 21, 2008 - There he was, hair as wildly unkempt as a lion's mane and as red as the fires of a California forest: Shaun White, shedding down the virtual slopes on-stage during the Nintendo Press Conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo last month. The game was used as a point to show off that third-party publishers have been working on their own games that use the WiiFit balance board (as well as to add punctuation to Cammie's snowboarding injury anecdote). The game was nearly finished when it was shown off at E3 in July, and a month later at the German Games Convention this week it's in its final ready to ship form.

Once again, UbiSoft is spotlighting the compatibility with the WiiFit balance board by demonstrating the game using the peripheral exclusively. When the game ships it will control using the tilt motion of the Wii remote (no Nunchuk) for its snowboarding gameplay, but the team is extremely proud of the work it's put into balance board support so that's what we've been playing at Games Convention.

Oh, and Ubisoft quietly revealed that the game will be called Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip, the subtitle added to strengthen the fact that this isn't a port of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games. It's its own game. The Road Trip is used as the game's progression: work your way through the challenges and you'll upgrade your touring bus from a beat-up Volkswagen van to an enormous stud pad…with friends that will join you on your quest.

Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip is a trick-heavy arcade-style snowboarding that's a little friendly to the casual crowd – you'll be able to pull of mad air and some serious maneuvers if you time it right, but it's very forgiving when you land – if you're tumbling through the snow in a massive bail you must've done something seriously wrong. It certainly happens, but mostly you'll just wobble on a bad landing. Another "casual friendly" element is the automatic grinding: when you aim for a rail, your character will automatically leap up on it where you can pull of some moves while you slide along it.

The Balance Board controls take a little to get used to, but they do add a lot of fun to the game – since we haven't played the game the traditional Wii Remote way yet we don't really have much to compare it to. But the leaning and jumping controls work well (don't jump on the board…just 'pump' downwards and your character will leap) and there's plenty of sensitivity there to turn sharp or shallow.

The Games Convention build – called "final" by UbiSoft – showed off new visual effects that weren't yet applied in the E3 build: sloppy landings are emphasized by a videotape-like glitch that puts digital wrinkles on the display for a split second. There's also the traditional lensflare when you're zooming down the hill into the sun. And when you do happen to bail spectacularly, your clothes will cake up with a hearty glaze of snow.

Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip is scheduled for release just around the time when real snowboarders are ready to hit the slopes.

shaun-white-snowboarding-road-trip-20080820114517027_640w.jpg

shaun-white-snowboarding-road-trip-20080820114520792_640w.jpg

shaun-white-snowboarding-road-trip-20080820114523980_640w.jpg

shaun-white-snowboarding-road-trip-20080820114527308_640w.jpg

shaun-white-snowboarding-road-trip-20080820114530120_640w.jpg

Those night time screenshots with the fireworks have a nice atmosphere. I still reckon the game will be bollocks :hmm:, but its kinda nice that there are some positives leaking out such as the tour bus and stuff. It would be nice if it was surprisingly good, but I won't be holding my breath.

Looks fairly alright, especially considering the Wii screenshot problem.

But not especially considering Ubisoft tendencies to heavily photoshop their screenshots...

But not especially considering Ubisoft tendencies to heavily photoshop their screenshots...

Yeah, who knows if the fireworks are actually in the game, or if Ubisoft themselves "MS Paint"ed them in afterwards. :heh:

Still, it's not looking half bad.

Matt has a two page preview up at IGN.

...place the Balance Board on the ground as though it were a real snowboard. I use a regular stance, but editor Mark Bozon is a goofy-foot; the game easily recognizes and supports both (the controls work fine), but your on-screen snowboard does not change his footing based on yours -- he rides regular or nothing...

Pity about that. Wouldn't it be simple to have the goofy stance reflected by the onscreen boarder? Aside from that, the preview is fairly promising and gives the impression that Shaun White Snowboarding has alot of arcadey potential.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/923/923285p2.html

I'm still crying ot for 1080 to be made.. I love those games so much!

As far as the player stance goes, I can understand why it wouldn't necessarily reflect the way you are standing on the balance board. For instance, if you are coming of a ramp with regular stance and do a 180º Spin in the air, the character on screen will now be on goofy stance when they land but obviously the player will not have somehow rotated the balance board around 180º to reflect this change, and therefore the character will be facing the opposite direction you are.. to be fair, you can't really blame the game for that!

Aye, I wasn't really meaning that it should always mimic your stance seeing as you will be doing 180's, 520's and 900's that will leave you landing facing the opposite way to how you started. I was meaning that its a bit weird that you can't pick between goofy and regular before you start racing, so that atleast at the beginning of each race your character starts off facing in the desired direction. Like you do in Ten Eighty. I think thats what they were getting at in the IGN preview. :heh:

Anyone got NGamer? They gave it 64% :( Would like to know why as I was really looking forward to this game!!

Anyone got NGamer? They gave it 64% :( Would like to know why as I was really looking forward to this game!!

Where did you read that? It got 84%.

Not quite as stuffed with content as SSX Blur but the charm-filled SWS takes snowboarding games to new heights with its controls.

Graphics - 8

Audio -8

Gameplay - 8

Innovation - 8

Where did you read that? It got 84%.

Graphics - 8

Audio -8

Gameplay - 8

Innovation - 8

gonintendo.com

I'm so pleased with that :) Really excited about this game!!

gonintendo.com

I'm so pleased with that :) Really excited about this game!!

The submitter got that score wrong and missed off a load of reviews, so I submitted the amended list to RMC. It is good to hear. That makes two good Ubishite games in one issue (the other being Rabbids TV Party - 80%). What the hell is this world coming to?!

That makes two good Ubishite games in one issue (the other being Rabbids TV Party - 80%). What the hell is this world coming to?!

This...

rrr2_visual_bunnyearth.jpg

It's only a matter of time now... Gyaaaaaaaah! :heh:

This...

rrr2_visual_bunnyearth.jpg

It's only a matter of time now... Gyaaaaaaaah! :heh:

LOOOOL, i lol'd hard

Hmm! A very good review score. Bodes well indeed. :) I'll be checking out some other reviews before deciding whether to get Shauny or not. Has it got remote and nunchuk controls for those times you might wanna kick back and play?