NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ultrajamie

Hang on: Wii is owning all, where are the games?

Gizmo, the Wii can do what XBox does and more. Unless you're talking about 360.

I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of games on 360/PS3/Wii at the same time, it is indeed hard to scale down certain games, some of them wouldn't even be possible to some extent, but tbh, so far this isn't the case for a lot of them, it wouldn't be hard to see some 360/PS3 on the Wii. I'm curious to see Sonic.

But that's not why I bought the Wii for, on the contrary :P

The Wii will have a very hard time beating the original Xbox. it simpley doesn;t have the same shader power in the GPU, on paper it is slightly faster... but that doesn;t mean it can do everything the first xbox did.

That's not a criticism of the wii at all... it just means that you'll never see a game like chronicles of riddick... look at conduit, it's tech has been heralded as 'amazing for wii' but it only just matches an original xbox FPS in terms of looks.

HOWEVER...

The wii can do amazing things when it's strengths are played to: case in point - Mario Galaxy.

The point of this thread, though, was not to get into to the age old 'how powerful is wii?' arguement, because that much has been proved already, but rather why more people aren't trying.

This will probably end up going unnoticed amidst everything in here- but atleast its closer to being on topic than most of the stuff thats been said.

RUMOR - game industry dev fed up with third party attitude towards Wii

May 26th, 2008

For anyone that keeps tabs on the internet’s seedy underbelly, 4chan is on the radar. It may not be the first place you think of for video game discussions, even though they do have a section for those topics. Reader Anonymous was scanning through the VG section when he stumbled upon a post from someone claiming to be involved in an upcoming Wii title. Whether you believe the following post is real or not, it’s not hard to see devs going with this logic.

“So I started working in the games industry recently on a fairly major project for the Wii. I’ve sat through a couple big reviews, where the studio’s executives sit down and play through the latest additions to the game and voice their feedback. Let me tell you that, as a newcomer to the games industry and a Nintendo fanboy, I was unprepared for what I heard.

The people that matter in this fairly large studio (and their publisher, marketing staff, etc.) think that the Wii is a kiddy console and are forcing us to tone down our game to make it more casual. While I can’t go into details, we are making a skill-based game that has a lot of potential, but the execs keep telling us to strip out core gameplay elements in order to make it more friendly for the casual player. We can’t have difficulty settings to be raised or lowered, gritty stories, or complicated puzzles, just a fun casual game that can be picked up and put down at will. THANKS GUYS, I’VE ALWAYS WANTED TO MAKE A Sh!77y CASUAL GAME.

Also, they talk in f*(%ing review numbers. “I think reviewers will give this about a 85 right now, but if you change this, we might bump it up a couple of points.” What the f^%k, guys.

TLDR: 3rd parties are ruining the Wii.”

http://gonintendo.com/?p=44255

Make of it what you will.

As said before, the publishers are the main problem with the industry and this doesn't apply just to the Wii and not just to this gen either.

Because more games are sold on the 360 and even the PS3. And game sales are what matter to publishers and developers I guess.

not true even now wii fir is outselling gta4 and is nowhere to be found in the us.

Basically third party devs are idiots.They either make an original game and don't advertise it plus make is look nothing like what it's target audience need,like for exmaple zack and wiki and boom blox(i think thats what its called).

both great games(i havent played BB though to be fair but im assuming)but really both look childish how is the average player going to differentiate these games from crap like...oh i dont know crusN(cant think of a better example sorry).

or third parties copy the success of wii sports and wii play.

Third parties make a ton of excuses like tehre are no core gamers on wii.. THERES NO ADVERTISING FOR CORE GAMERS ON WII.. if halo 3 and gta4 came out on wii do you REALLY think it would sell badly? NO maybe not quite as well but for gta 4 WAYYY better than the ps3 version anyway.

This will probably end up going unnoticed amidst everything in here- but atleast its closer to being on topic than most of the stuff thats been said.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=44255

Make of it what you will.

Even if this isn't true I garuentee this is what's happening in the industry. It's very saddening but i Would say it's a reversal for 360 owners. I mean while everything looks like wii sports on wii everything looks like halo on 360.

We may discuss for ages analyzing all the reasons but in the end,as I have stated before,publisher's atittude is the problem.

The funny thing is that in a year from now,when Wii's installed base is bigger than 360/PS3's combined we'll probably see a change.

The same publishers who now backlash Wii will start to talk enthustiatically for the same hardware.And this is business.

I've been singing WiiWare's praises for months. How many people in here who are complaining have played a WiiWare game, may I ask?

Nintendo should really offer people the chance to demo the games before they play them as they would sell so many more. You can do this with the Xbox Live Arcade and I've bought a lot of games because of this. I wouldn't have wanted to risk paying money for them if I wasn't going to enjoy them. A fiver's a fiver, afterall.

This actually goes for retail games too. Please Nintendo, release a demo channel (and hard drive)!

I find it funny that people have seemed to ignore the fact that E3 is just around the corner. Nintendo have been repeating themselves tenfold that they will be pulling back the curtain for the near future for the Wii. This may also include a lot of 3rd party games.

Can we just have this discussion later in the summer please?

I find it funny that people have seemed to ignore the fact that E3 is just around the corner. Nintendo have been repeating themselves tenfold that they will be pulling back the curtain for the near future for the Wii. This may also include a lot of 3rd party games.

I was thinking about that. It's like this every year. The months before E3 are always supposed to be quieter. Everything is going to be revealed at the Expo, that's what it is for. I don't see the reason for all this shitstorm.

You're right. Sort of.

Nintendo promised us lots of great games last E3, and the only new game announced that I remember, was Mario Kart.

I'm not expecting much, most games we get come out of nowhere, most conferences are barren as hell.

Thank fook someone said it. Jamba, sir: You're still a legend. :bowdown:

Thank fook someone said it. Jamba, sir: You're still a legend. :bowdown:

But last year Reggie was at pains to says thy've not forgotten the core gamers... and mario kart was the only 'gamers game' they really had.

I expect more of something non-game related... wel, lots of that, lots of me-too exercise games from 3rd parties... and perhaps a pikmin game and animal crosing if we're really lucky.

But last year Reggie was at pains to says thy've not forgotten the core gamers... and mario kart was the only 'gamers game' they really had.

I expect more of something non-game related... wel, lots of that, lots of me-too exercise games from 3rd parties... and perhaps a pikmin game and animal crosing if we're really lucky.

Well yeah but that's because Nintendo still had lots of games to release in Fall last year. They can't make that many games so just simmer down for now Mr. I-Need-A-New-Nintendo-Masterpiece-Every-Single-Month. Nobody has anything to complain to Nintendo about really it's only the third parties.

You won't know anything til E3 ok. Plain and simple. You can winge afterwards if need be but until then you don't know if there won't be lots of games or if there will be. Chnaces are that you will all be extatic for about 2 days and then start complaining irregardless. It's always the way.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I found this interview very interesting.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=45617

Again,if the publisher decides,then dedicated developers can do wonders.

Also,our old discussion about how the CoD4 engine is possible for Wii has ended with the obvious answer.:smile:

yup at the moment and for a loooong time now I have only played games on my 360.. theres nothing for me on the wii.. last one I bought was Boom Blox..

And the next is probably De Blob..

Well ill get lego Indiana Jones too, but I havent decided wich platform im getting it for yet

Well yeah but that's because Nintendo still had lots of games to release in Fall last year. They can't make that many games so just simmer down for now Mr. I-Need-A-New-Nintendo-Masterpiece-Every-Single-Month. Nobody has anything to complain to Nintendo about really it's only the third parties.

You won't know anything til E3 ok. Plain and simple. You can winge afterwards if need be but until then you don't know if there won't be lots of games or if there will be. Chnaces are that you will all be extatic for about 2 days and then start complaining irregardless. It's always the way.

And the winner is... JAMBA!

Sign in to follow this