NEurope

You may prefer the God of War series with it's big brauny muscular lead and it's ripping heads of shoulders, but the game is less focused on combat than Bayonetta, and the combat itself has been simplified to reach a broader audience. The combat in God of War is childsplay next to Bayonetta's.

It's fine if you don't like the visual aesthetics of the game, or the genre of which the game belongs to. It's all subjective in that regards. But in terms of how great and brilliant the game is in regards to what the game is out to achieve.. it is untouchable. And this is why the game has been getting praise.

Untouchable? Dear lord... This is like Ninja Gaiden, in my eyes, a very competent and precise hack & slash with a fantastic, if somewhat unpredictable combat system. And nothing else. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a fantastic game, I'm not denying that... but while it's very strong in that particular field, the demo gave me the idea that in everything else it kind of fails to captivate. I'm sure it's gonna be one of the best games of the year, but I doubt it'll have the pertinence the GoW franchise has achieved.

What really sets God Of War apart is the narrative (don't confuse narrative with story/plot!) and the magnitude of the games. Not the combat. The combat is probably the most accessible out of all the "4" (ninja gaiden, devil may cry, bayonetta and God of war) and it's very good, but nowhere near as good as in ninja gaiden, and, it appears, this game.

All this is based on what I played on the demo. I'm merely saying that based on the demo alone, it'll never be as complete an experience as GoW is. And you haven't even played the game and are already talking about how great it is and how it's untouchable. How do you know that?

(as for the visuals, yeah I don't like them, but that doesn't really matter, it's a matter of personal preference there, like you said).

As for the camera, you genuinely don't see the problem? It's Ninja Gaiden allover again.

Oh, and as for the framerate and all other issues, you seem to be following the reviews so closely, you surely must have noticed that the ps3 is getting very high scores of it's own. So maybe "unnacceptable" is too strong a word, no?

Just to make this clear, I pretty much agree with you that it does look like a great game. I just don't believe it's gonna become an archetype.

Maybe he has watched the gameplay videos or has the game because the demos dont really help tell in detail was the game is going to be like.

Untouchable? Dear lord... This is like Ninja Gaiden, in my eyes, a very competent and precise hack & slash with a fantastic, if somewhat unpredictable combat system. And nothing else. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a fantastic game, I'm not denying that... but while it's very strong in that particular field, the demo gave me the idea that in everything else it kind of fails to captivate. I'm sure it's gonna be one of the best games of the year, but I doubt it'll have the pertinence the GoW franchise has achieved.

What really sets God Of War apart is the narrative (don't confuse narrative with story/plot!) and the magnitude of the games. Not the combat. The combat is probably the most accessible out of all the "4" (ninja gaiden, devil may cry, bayonetta and God of war) and it's very good, but nowhere near as good as in ninja gaiden, and, it appears, this game.

All this is based on what I played on the demo. I'm merely saying that based on the demo alone, it'll never be as complete an experience as GoW is. And you haven't even played the game and are already talking about how great it is and how it's untouchable. How do you know that?

(as for the visuals, yeah I don't like them, but that doesn't really matter, it's a matter of personal preference there, like you said).

As for the camera, you genuinely don't see the problem? It's Ninja Gaiden allover again.

Oh, and as for the framerate and all other issues, you seem to be following the reviews so closely, you surely must have noticed that the ps3 is getting very high scores of it's own. So maybe "unnacceptable" is too strong a word, no?

Just to make this clear, I pretty much agree with you that it does look like a great game. I just don't believe it's gonna become an archetype.

You have made 2 mistakes:

- Assuming I haven't played or got the game.

- Assuming I haven't played both the 360 and PS3 version.

I have done both, and I am a big fan of the genre. You are the one who originally bought up God of War. God of War isn't focused on Combat like DMC, NJ and Bayonetta are. The combat in God of War is simplified and concentrates more on the overall adventure or exploration if you will.

Since we are currently talking about the combat of the game, and because combat is the sole focus of Bayonetta, this is where comparisons break apart. Between the two, there simply isn't any comparison. The combat is more flexible, more deeper and more varied than God of War in every single way.

And no. I don't see a problem with the camera. In Ninja Gaiden.. the camera almost acted along side the enemies making it even more difficult to dispatch them. I really don't see where you're getting camera issues from..

And regarding the reviews, and there have been two high profile ones. Famitsu and Edge. Famitsu gave the 360 version a 40/40 and the PS3 version a 38. Edge tested the 360 version of the game. Because I have played both, and have seen the differences, I can say the differences in my eyes are unacceptable. For me.. I don't really care, it's an easy decision for me to make, because I have both consoles to choose from.

Even GOW combat system designer confirms differences between DMC and NJ.

God of War unlike the other two games allows for many Pre-hit frame cancels and incorporates several of the methods found in the other two games. The main difference is that it is not trying to be a hardcore game from neither a technical nor flashy point of view. It’s just smash and kill fun with some goodies tossed in under the hood for the fans of the other games that gave us a shot while they waited for the next installment of Ryu’s or Dante’s saga. The rules for canceling are all over the place but for good reason, our intended audience does not want to learn the techniques, they just want the game to play the way they think it should because combat is not the only focus unlike the other two games.

Moreover for novice players they are used to teach the concept of risk vs. reward without placing this burden on the basic combat which would make the game much harder for the average player. I know this can be argued from many different angles with regards to balancing but trust me I have heard them all and this was the decision we made but feel free to tell me how foolish we were anyhow.

At the end of the day you have to look at your intended audience and I think we captured our audience the best we could. To those that were left upset and disappointed because of 4 little moves in the game that cannot be cancelled earlier then I am sorry you missed a much greater experience.

OXM Review = 9.0

+ Outragous mix of violence, Sexuality, and humor.

+ Beautiful and flexible core combat; fantastic boss battles.

- Upgrades too expensive; some fussy combo timing.

? Does Joe Pesci get a check every time Enzo Speaks?

Edited by Dante

I've seen this game just now at a local store...not sure if it was a pre-order box or the real thing...I guess it was the full game...but isn't the release date in January?

France,Netherlands and Switzerland also getting shouldn't be release in December until next month on the 23rd.

Probably.

The official release date(s)

NA January 5, 2010

EU January 8, 2010

AUS January 2010

Edited by Dante

Bayonetta also has Enochain voice acting, the 16th century text that believe to be the angelic language.

Enochian.jpg

IGN Reviews

360 version:

8.0 Presentation

Incredible style mixes with a fantastic backstory. Mildly hampered by low-budget filmstrip cutscenes and a loose plot.

9.0 Graphics

Bayonetta is an extremely good-looking game, both in terms of its art design and visuals.

9.0 Sound

Irresistible mix of upbeat jazz with intensely serious choirs. Voice acting is a bit campy but still extremely enjoyable.

9.5 Gameplay

Bayonetta has one of the best combat systems I've ever experienced. Fluid, fun and unique.

9.5 Lasting Appeal

Bayonetta was designed for multiple playthroughs. Chapters can be replayed at any time upon completion and there's plenty to unlock and purchase even after you've beaten the game.

Incredible OVERALL

PS3 version:

4.5 Presentation

Bayonetta has a great sense of style, but the constant load times are simply horrendous.

7.5 Graphics

A good-looking game, but there's a lot of slowdown to be found in the PS3 version.

9.0 Sound

Irresistible mix of upbeat jazz with intensely serious choirs. Voice acting is a bit campy but still extremely enjoyable.

8.5 Gameplay

Bayonetta has one of the best combat systems I've ever experienced. Too bad the technical issues get in the way of the player's enjoyment.

9.0 Lasting Appeal

This game was designed for multiple playthroughs. Chapters can be replayed at any time upon completion and there's plenty to unlock and purchase even after you've beaten the game.

Impressive OVERALL

IGN UK

360 version:

9.5 Presentation

Bayonetta's loading screen itself is a marvel, prepping players with a training arena that's almost as fun as the game itself.

9.0 Graphics

A cacophony of colour, Bayonetta comes perilously close to being complete sensual overload - and can sometimes prove a little too much for the 360 to handle.

9.5 Sound

It's got Magical Sound Shower in it.

10 Gameplay

Bayonetta is a giddy joy to play, its combat fluid, rewarding and deep and its campaign throwing a cavalcade of challenges to the player.

9.5 Lasting Appeal

Online leaderboards provide a longterm pull, and the game itself doesn't reveal its true genius until subsequent playthroughs.

Incredible OVERALL

1UP

So sure, if you look hard enough you can pick at occasional cobwebs from the Devil May Cry school of design, but really, this is as good as action games get. It controls like a dream, is extremely well balanced (not terribly difficult on Normal and incredibly challenging on Hard), has tons of variety, features great retro game references, contains tons of unlockables and challenges to keep you busy after you finish the story, and when it comes down to it, is the best game Sega has published in years.

After extensive time with PS3 and 360 copies of Bayonetta, I decided to score the 360 version higher than the PS3 game due to crisper visuals, a smoother framerate, and shorter loading times. Content-wise, the two are essentially the same.

360 version: A

PS3 version: A-

Gameradar

It’s an almost flawless exhibition of gaming greatness, which can effortlessly make even the most ham-fisted of gamers feel like they’ve got elite skills. Bayonetta is already an early contender for GOTY for 2010.

10/10

still don't see it myself played it eurogamer and just didn't enjoy it...might download the demo on PS3 and see what its like...

still don't see it myself played it eurogamer and just didn't enjoy it...might download the demo on PS3 and see what its like...

Seriously, if you didn't enjoy it, then the likely hood is that you don't enjoy these types of games, and thus making it pointless trying to force yourself to play through it.

Seriously, if you didn't enjoy it, then the likely hood is that you don't enjoy these types of games, and thus making it pointless trying to force yourself to play through it.

I do like third person combat/adventure games though...just don't see what is sooooooooo great about this that its getting all these great scores...

I also played the demo last night, loved it, I can't wait to pick this up on release day! It was that good that Dante's Inferno felt rather weak in comparisson.

I do like third person combat/adventure games though...just don't see what is sooooooooo great about this that its getting all these great scores...

I'm in the same boat, but I'm more than happy to play through it and have my mind changed, you should do the same! ;)