NEurope

"We’ve decided to celebrate TGS the same way we celebrated San Diego Comic Con – by making one-of-a-kind Bayonetta game consoles! This time, we’ve made both an Xbox 360 and a PS3.

But right after we ordered the hardware, the PS3 Slim was announced… (@o@)!?

So unfortunately, it is the previous model of the PS3, but this is what it looks like!

First up is the 360."

b_360_01.jpg

b_360_02.jpg

b_360_03.jpg

b_ps3_01.jpg

b_ps3_02.jpg

b_ps3_03.jpg

b_ps3_04.jpg

First page:

Within

Upper left

On top of the systems we have covered, such as "Witch Time" that slows down the flow of time and "Witch Walk" that allows walking on walls, we are going to reveal another stunning system. Bayonetta can transform into three types of living things, this transformation system is called "Within".

Lower left

Beast Within

Bayonetta transforms into a dark panther. When in this form, speed and jump power are enhanced, allowing Bayonetta to reach places that otherwise inaccessible.

Upper right

Crow Within

Bayonetta transforms into a crow that is able to fly. In this form, Bayonetta can still consume magic power to attack.

Lower right

Bat Within

When being hit, the player can input a command and let Bayonneta transform into many bats, thus nullifies the damage. The button used is the same as that of the Witch Time, making this move much more valuable when the players fail to dodge the attacks coming after Witch Time.

Second page:

New weapons

Upper left

Durga

A pair of artifacts that are said to have sealed the power of Durga - a god with thousand hands. The portals at the front end can summon and control fire and electricity. Durga is good for melee, it can also be equipped at the feet. Also, its elemental property can be changed.

Upper right

Light of Selene

An artifact that was once owned by an Egyptian witch called Cleopatra. When the wearer is attacked, this artifact consumes some magic power and initiates Witch Time automatically. It is said that Cleopatra was a very good magic tutor and she made this for people who are not too good at perfecting their witch craft. It's a highly effective artifact when battling with groups of enemies.

Middle right

Demonic Walkie Talkie

A walkie talkie used by the notorious triad gang "Little Devils". The user can establish a short contract with the Little Devils and use them to attack. Bayonetta can use this attack as a chain combo. It has a long reach, making it quite effective.

Lower right

Bad Karma Akshamala

Owned by a witch, Akko, who used to serve Queen Himiko in ancient Japan. The wearer can evade a dangerous hit and counter with magic attack.

Lower left

Summons

Fantazumaneara - A demon living in the Sea of Magma of the Hell. It is seldom seen in the Hell, not to mention on the ground. It's also called the "Ghostly Spider".

Last page:

Angels

Bayonetta's enemies are the divine army from the heaven. They come in different froms. Also, they have a serious hierarchical system. The four "Cardinal Virtues" seem to be at the leader rang. Here we will introduce another four.

Middle left

Sapientia - One of the Cardinal Virtues who represents thoughtfulness and wisdom. It's often described as a sea monster swimming in the ocean. It affects people through waves and tides.

Lower left

Joy - Belongs to the highest class of angel, seraph. It sometimes appears to be a human woman. Also it can duplicate itself.

Upper right

Dia(?) and Decorations - angels with lower power who are more often spotted by human beings. The serious looking one is Dia, who is accompanied by countless Decorations, who are often confused with Cupid.

Lower right

Bike Stage - a new stage with Bayonetta riding a motorcycle is released. The gauge at the lower right of the screen seems to be showing the speed.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Haha that console looks both awesome and stupid at the same time, I could never have it in my living room. That controller looks quite nice though. Like Dorothy's red shoes.

Dante, with these HQ scans you are truely spoiling us... :heh: at first I was unsure on this game but the more I see of it... the more I want it! :o

Now it's slipped back to Q1 2010, I'm tempted to pre-order this again, it's looking better and better everytime I see it!

Can someone briefly explain: what makes this game anything more than just Devil May Cry with a female lead?

Can someone briefly explain: what makes this game anything more than just Devil May Cry with a female lead?

No idea, that's pretty much the thing that's putting me off getting it, why play/buy a game that's the same as something else? However, DMC is a great series and a game that's very similar to it, by the same creator, should surely be just as good?

That's why I really can't decide on wether to get this or not...

There are lolipops in the Power Up Section of the Website.

So that means her Lolipops grant her special abilities aswell?

And was this mentioned before? Because i cant remember seeing that, its completely new for me, lol.

Ah, so i got this whole Lolipop stuff translated by a friend..

Its about creating Lolipops and what the Lolipops do!

Red = Temporarily raising attack

Yellow = Temporarily raising defense

Violette = Restoring Magic Power

Green = Restoring Health

Flute = Giving heavy damage to all Angels nearby

To create em you need to get these Yellow/Green/Red items. And the more items you use for the creation, the better the effect of them gets.

So that means her Lolipops grant her special abilities aswell?

And was this mentioned before? Because i cant remember seeing that, its completely new for me, lol.

Lollipops.jpg

Untitled.png

Edited by Dante

Gamer hands-on the Japanese XBLA/PSN Demo

Okay, I just spent half an hour playing through the tutorial and the Vestibule (falling clock tower stage). Now I'm in the first room of the city. I've been playing around with the combat system up to this moment, and I have to tell you, I'm completely floored. The variety and responsiveness is like nothing I've experienced in an action game. I can say right now that with this game Kamiya has taken a massive leap toward perfecting the genre he created with the original Devil May Cry. Some miscellaneous observations:

- Nearly every move can be jump canceled as in DMC, but Bayonetta does one better: in many cases, the jump comes out without canceling the attack. Serious advanced applications here, but to state it simply, the ability to evade and attack simultaneously means that your offensive momentum doesn't have to stop for anything. Bayonetta's combat system is unparalleled in its fluidity.

- Bayonetta has a wall jump that can be performed before or after her butterfly wing jump. This means that if you're near a wall you can squeeze in two jump cancels without touching the ground or seeing even a second of recovery animation.

- All the text I've come across is in English. Nice. (I'm playing the 360 version.) And speaking of text, there are tons of places in the background that can be checked for text descriptions like those in the original Devil May Cry. I love details like this.

- Bayonetta can perform her dodge in the air, which everyone already knows from various gameplay videos. What I hadn't heard reported is that she can do more than one—as many as you want, in fact, until she touches the ground.

- Speaking of the dodge, the only move I've found that it won't immediately cancel is the falling aerial kick. Everything else, even the huge motherfucking chargeable sword slash of doom, can be halted immediately at the touch of the dodge button.

- The aforementioned aerial sword slash can be charged indefinitely, allowing Bayonetta to remain suspended in the air until a hapless enemy wanders underneath her blade. Naturally, while suspended you can freely change the direction you're facing.

- The 360 degree rapid fire mode is freely cancelable into nearly anything else, just as I was led to believe from a clip I saw last month. You can even go from hands 360 mode to feet 360 mode (not vice versa, though).

- Almost every move can be charged. Besides conferring the obvious advantage of extra damage, this offers the secondary benefit of letting you tweak the timing of most any combo. This has some important applications, one being you don't have to worry about missing the strongest hits of your attack strings; just delay the first one or two hits prior until your targeted enemy comes into range, then pummel it with the big hit.

- Touching the ground in the middle of many air combos will not halt them. Bayonetta will finish them without skipping a beat, unless you want her to start a different combo, in which case all you need to do is hold the gun button for half a second.

- The closest comparison to Bayonetta's combat is that of the original Devil May Cry. The inputs function in much the same way, involving rhythmic taps as much as momentary delays between inputs to initiate different combo branches. Gameplay is also similar in the way you can cancel out of most attack animations with a jump. The main difference is the responsiveness: Bayonetta moves lighting fast. With very few exceptions, you have complete control over her even during the times you'd expect a recovery delay.

The is the action game of the generation, folks. If you're a fan of the genre, pick up Bayonetta on day one, no excuses. If you don't understand what's so great about the combat, play a few different action games then return to the demo. PlatinumGames deserves all the support it can get for this brilliant title.

Edited by Dante

Definitely renting at least. Hopefully they fix the rough framerate on PS3 quickly lol.

Gamer hands-on the Japanese XBLA/PSN Demo

Hm, can you still get Japanese demos with a Japanese 360 account? I made one for Resi 5 but they never made it available to silver accounts.

Hm, can you still get Japanese demos with a Japanese 360 account? I made one for Resi 5 but they never made it available to silver accounts.

Presumably, although obviously it's Gold-only for the next week. I just downloaded it from here and burnt it to a DVD; you can choose to run it from your Game Library and everything's in English.

Edit: Oh, seems the download has been removed. Well, I'm sure you could grab it elsewhere easily enough if you searched for it.

I´m currently getting it here but I dunno if it will work

EDIT: If you only get one file at a time and use the blue download button on the filestube page you should bypass the download limit.

Edited by Mundi

PS3 vs 360

bayonetta-ps3-1.jpg

bayonetta-xbox360-1.jpg

bayonetta-ps3-2.jpg

bayonetta-xbox360-2.jpg

Key

P = punch
K = kick
. =delay
< = press direction away from opponent
> = press direction toward opponent
(lock) = while locked on
(air) = while in the air
(ground) = while standing on the ground
360 = rotate the left analog stick in a full circle
[ ] = hold the buttons or directions that appear in these brackets
+ = press the buttons or directions on both sides of this sign at the same time
... = tap the preceding button rapidly

Scarborough Fair

PKP
P.P
P.K
PPKP
PPKKK
PPKK.P
PPKK.K
PPK.K
PP.P
PP.K
PPPKKK
PPPKP
PPPKK.P
PPP.P
PPP.K
PPPPK
PPPPP
PPPPPK
PPPP.P
KKK
KK.P
K.P
360P
(lock) <P
(lock) <K
(air) PPKP
(air) PPPKP
(air) PPPKKK
(air) PPP.K
(air) PPPPK
(air) PPPPP
(air) PPPPPK
(air) K
(air) 360P
(air) 360K
(air) (lock) <+P
(air) (lock) <+K
>>+P
(air) >>+P -or- (air) (lock)>+P
>>+K -or- (lock) >+K

Scarborough Fair Unlisted Moves

(lock)+any direction (Alternate dodge input.)
(after PPPKK, on grounded enemy) PPP... (Repeatedly slap grounded enemy.)
(on grounded enemy] KKK... (Repeatedly stomp grounded enemy.)
(after (lock) <+P) PPP... (Hold enemy by foots and repeatedly slam it on the ground.)

Katana + Shotguns

PKP
P.P
P.K
PPKP
PPKKK
PPKK.P
PPKK.K
PPK.K
PP.PPP
PP.PP.P
PP.P.P
PP.K
PPPKKK
PPPKP
PPPKK.P
PPP.P
PPP.K
PPPPK
PPPPP
PPPPPK
PPPP.P
KKK
KK.P
K.P
360P
(lock) <+P
(lock) <+K
(air) PPKP
(air) PP.PPP
(air) PPPKP
(air) PPPKKK
(air) PPP.P
(air) PPP.K
(air) PPPPK
(air) PPPPP
(air) PPPPPK
(air) K
(air) 360P
(air) 360K
(air) (lock) <+P
(air) (lock) <+K
>>+P
(air) >>+P -or- (air) (lock) >+P
>>+K -or- (lock)>+K

Katana + Shotguns Unlisted Moves

(lock)+any direction (Alternate dodge input.)
stand still, hold (lock) until first or second spark, P (This is impossibly cool, everyone try it now!)
(air) PPK(ground)KK
(air) PPK(ground)K.K
(air) [P] (This is the infinitely chargeable aerial sword slash.)

Torture Attacks

(in front of enemy) Y+B (Iron maiden.)
(behind enemy) Y+B (Guillotine.)
(above enemy) Y+B (Chain.)
(on downed enemy) Y+B (Gravestone.)

Text (360 version)

Selecting Difficulty

Very Easy Automatic: This option is not available in this demo.
Easy Automatic: A mode aimed at beginners, where simply pressing Y will allow you to jump into the heat of battle and execute a variety of techniques.
Normal: Execute complete control over Bayonetta's techniques in a mode for those ready to enter truly climactic battles!

Tutorial Screen

Regular Controls

Left Stick = Move
Right Stick = Move Camera—Press RS to reset camera.
D-Pad = Use Items—Hold a directional pad (sic) to use.
X = Action
Y = Punch
B = Kick
A = Jump
Left Bumper = Taunt
Left Trigger = Change Weapon
Right Bumper = Lock-On
Right Trigger = Evade
Start = Pause Menu
Back = Help

Torture Attacks

Attack enemies to fill your Magic Gauge! If you take damage your Magic Gauge will decrease! Close in on enemies and finish them off with deadly Torture Attacks!

Tutorial

Punch: For a quick punch press Y.
Kick: For a powerful kick press B.
Combo: Combine Y and B to unleash countless combos!
Evade: Evade any situation by using the RT to dodge!
Witch Time: Dodge at the last possible instant to activate Witch Time! (Enemies will appear to move in slow-motion for a set period of time.)
Shoot: Shoot your way out of a combo by holding Y or B!
Bullet Climax: Rotate the LS and press Y or B to fire all around! (Step 1: Activate Bullet Climax! Step 2: Once activated, aim and fire at will!)

More Observations and Things (Some of this info has already been mentioned. I'm including it because the purpose of this post is to collate a bunch of good stuff for easy reference.)

- Tap a direction on the d-pad to see which items you have. Hold a direction to use the corresponding item. (I listed this in the controls section, but lots of people seem to miss this feature so I want to point it out here)

- On the mission complete screen, you may notice a missing medal. To find the hidden verse that awards it, return to the area where you start the city level after you've cleared the courtyard battle. A pack of enemies will spawn in the first room.

- One thing that's guaranteed to annoy me in a game is a laggy menu. Ninja Gaiden is a notable offender here. In contrast, Bayonetta's menus, much like its in-game controls, respond crisply to any input. Kamiya's games have all had great menus, and Bayonetta is no exception.

- All breakable objects and items respawn if you leave an area. This includes the treasure chest on the right side of the courtyard in the city. You can exploit this to collect extra halos and magic-restoring items.

- Magic-restoring items drop much more frequently when Bayonetta is damaged. I destroyed a group of pots with about 1/10 of a health bar and got 5 purple butterflies.

- Bayonetta can target multiple enemies with her guns during combo extensions (just hold an attack button mid-combo). This is ridiculously effective with the second weapon set when she's standing in the middle of an enemy group. Her shotguns will slaughter everything.

- Enemy-dropped weapons won't weaken if used on breakable objects. (Exceptions: the trumpet, the halberd's spinning pole move.)

- Enemy jump is in, and it works just like in Devil May Cry, except the timing is far easier. (For those who don't know how to perform it: while airborne and next to or above an enemy, press jump.)

Source

O_o at 10 secs in.

Played the demo, it was actually a lot of fun, but it felt exactly like Devil May Cry, even down to the running around smashing up benches to find gold rings. What was a shame was that after the intro, I was allowed to run around outside the train station passing people, but I couldn't interact with them. For a moment I thought hey! NPCs? Interaction? Potential for puzzles or RPG elements? That could set this game apart from DMC. But then I found out that the only way I could interact with these people was to fire guns crazily through them til they ran off screaming.

It was great fun to play, the typical Kamiya Hideki arcadey score based combo-fest with some really cool moves - but after buying DMC4 and then leaving it shelved permanently since completion, I can see this game being a rental. A well enjoyed but short lived rental.

This game is looking sexy. It looks like the next step for the DMC series. I saw the QL on giant bomb for the demo. When she summons the hair dragon, man it's so full of awesome.

The demo surprised me, I didn't think I would like it much. But I really enjoyed it. Its on the Jap PSN store if anybody is interested.

Apparently Famitsu gave this a perfect score of 40/40, everyones still waiting for confirmation so take this news lightly for now.

played the 360 demo and enjoyed it.

Gonna import the japanese version next week if I can.

First multiplatform title with a 40/40 score.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
  2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
  3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation)
  4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo for Nintendo GameCube)
  5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
  6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
  7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
  8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)
  9. 428: Fūsasareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)
  10. Dragon Quest IX (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)
  11. Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)
  12. Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for PS3 and 360)