NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nicolasmasset

The lowdown on the Revo... New Info!!! (from an IGN forum user)

I'm quoting odinfire73, a user from the IGN revolution boards.

Imo he sounds honest and believable, but perhaps he's a sicko with horrible evil hyping plans! Who knows? Debate debate and spe-cu-late woo-hoo! :p

Here it is...

http://boards.ign.com/revolution_general_board/b8263/102919334/p1/?67

Date Posted: 11/13 2:30pm Subject: The lowdown on the Revo... New Info!!!

"I was at the Best Buy in Lexington yesterday and was checking out the new kiosk for the Xbox 360. I have to say its looks pretty nice. Nothing any better then a pc, but nice. In any event, I went to Best Buy in order to return an lcd monitor that I had purchased. Stuck pixels and I wasnt very happy at all. While I was waiting up at the counter, I overheard the manager talking to a Nintendo representative. They were talking price of the system, and the in store space that would be needed among other things. The rep (and Im absolutely positive this is the real thing), said the system would be selling for $249.99. There will be one controller and one add-on nunchuck style attachment. I suppose Ninty will be relying on the Gamecube pads for classic gameplay unless you buy a classic attachment. Im not sure if this is new news or not, but Im positive this will be the price.

They also talked about shelf space and what they would need in order to display the system properly. In listening, I overheard a June 2006 date mentioned for release. Seems funny they are talking shelf and kiosk space this early. Perhaps, Ninty has some in store surprises coming up relatively soon. The only other thing I heard from the conversation that might be of any interest is that the displays are "unconventional" as compared to typical kiosk displays. It really made me wonder why the kiosks would be so different. Im not really sure where they were going as I really didnt hear much more. They walked off into the back room as they were talking. It was my turn in line anyway and I had to get on with my lcd return.

Some of you will probably think this is bull, but oh well. No skin off my back. Just thought I would be nice and post my findings. Its funny because sometimes information comes where you least expect it. I never would have heard anything if I hadnt a return to make. eh... it made my day...

:-)"

I already read that on the Gamespot forums - btw. the guy there used the same user name so I guess both postings are identical.

The stuff he says sounds very logical to me and it is nothing really "exiting" because 250$ for the Revolution, early summer release, ... that is all stuff I already thought about. Only thing I wonder is why Nintendo is directly contacting a BestBuy employee. I doubt that they would do that - after all even the store manager is not really a person anyone would need to talk to. I think it is a plausible but fake news post.

Agreed. 249 sounds like a smart price though, not too high, not too cheap-sounding.

Any rumour that has origins in some guy in some store is fake. Seriously, the stores know even less than we do.

Sure it is fake. The price is decided at the end of the production of the hardware - e.g. revolution. It depends from the year, the total cost of the hardware parts and the agreements of other 3rd parties like Panasonic for the Disc Drive (DVD). How can they know from now the final price? I highly doubt it. Even Nintendo don't know it until March-May 2006. Also, Nintendo said that it will be cheap.

I wish you could still use the Cube DVD thing with the GBPlayer...I'd get one then!!

That was random, haha!!

I highly doubt nintendo will send a rep to every store that sells there products to discuss shelf space and price etc. The only place a nintendo rep would go is a board room management office for best buy or toys r us or gamestop etc. They discuss the plans with the big wigs at the company and then the executives of the store chains spread the word to their stores. Do you know how much of a waist of time that would be for a nintendo rep to litterally go to every toy store chain? That doesn't happen so this is fake. Or he heard maybe a best buy exec explaining what was going down in the future but he definitely did not here it from a nintendo rep.

I heard a nintendo rep talking to my mother on the phone the other day...

Its classic speculation, you over hear something. I wonder what people come up with next

I wonder if its SG007 using a different name. All this "info" can be guessed easily though.

All I can say is that if Nintendo doesn't include the shell with the system I'm going to be pissed.

The shell is stupid to include in the box. Nobody will take advantage of the revolutionary part if they can make games for regular control. The shell should be sold seperate. The rev needs to come with the remote and the nuchuk controller. nothing more.

I dont like the whole 'shell' idea really.... but i guess its a good back-up plan. Thing is, the only real reason people wana buy the REV in the first place is for the 'wand', so lets give them fully fledged 'Wand controlled AAA titles'.

The shell is stupid to include in the box. Nobody will take advantage of the revolutionary part if they can make games for regular control. The shell should be sold seperate. The rev needs to come with the remote and the nuchuk controller. nothing more.

You cannot play any game with the shell unless it's designed for it. The shell is there so you can play N64, snes and 3rd party games that don't take advantage of the remote. A lot of people will want to play N64 and snes game from the download service as well as 3rd party games that use the normal way of playing.

I hear most stores here dont get too much support from nintendo when it comes to display stuff etc etc. But maybe thats just Holland...

0_0 so I dunno, and I doubt theyd tell store keepers the retail price first before making an official announcement....

But still, whatever, I'll buy it as long as I can afford it

Retro lover, why don't you try using google? Perhaps you'll find one of the thousands of currency convertors to your liking!

I was in GameStation today and like . . . Shiggy was in there, and he was all like, "yeah, so the new Revolution Zelda will be released for Chrsitmas next year, it's a lot like the new Zelda for the 'cube but answers a lot of questions. We er . . . scrapped Mario 128, and hvae gone for erm . . . Mario 256. . . . Really."

I was in GameStation today and like . . . Shiggy was in there, and he was all like, "yeah, so the new Revolution Zelda will be released for Chrsitmas next year, it's a lot like the new Zelda for the 'cube but answers a lot of questions. We er . . . scrapped Mario 128, and hvae gone for erm . . . Mario 256. . . . Really."

Is that the Gamestation in Lincoln, because I was in there today too!!! :hehe:

Nintendo emailed me to tell me that the DS redesign will be out soon, sadly i deleted the email.

My toothbrush told me the Revolution will be available in the colour 'Britian-Sky Grey' but this spun me out so i snapped the toothbrush in half

it was a good toothbrush too, told me what to wear

thats a low price for a new console. and the rev will need good shelf space where i live because the gc is invisible and while the ds is outselling psp they give it more space (the psp) but most of that is movies and they have 3 or so of each game

You cannot play any game with the shell unless it's designed for it. The shell is there so you can play N64, snes and 3rd party games that don't take advantage of the remote. A lot of people will want to play N64 and snes game from the download service as well as 3rd party games that use the normal way of playing.

I agree Leaving out the shell is too big a risk, especially when your telling developers 'you dont have to make your games work with the wand', which is what jim merrick said.

Itll be like the DS multifunctional, you can use all or none of the extra functionality. Your only limited by your creativity. Not including the shell is a move i seriously doubt they will make.

The real problem comes in handling the situation with the shell. If you announce that its going to be inlcuded it looks like you dont have faith in your new control method. Where as if you dont include it, developers wont have enough faith to make games for it so we get less games from the ones that dont want to use the shell.

The you will also have problems with the virtual console. All those who think that nintendo has killed the classic controls with the wand are being too fanboy minded. Even nintendo dont believe they have done that. Id be willing to be that even if there was no virtual console there would still be a shell.

Nintendo are trying to cater to everyone, without the shell there are far too many potential alienations, which is less profit. With the shell you got all bases covered and are in a position to potentially rake in a lot of money

Is that the Gamestation in Lincoln, because I was in there today too!!! :hehe:

Really? Awesome.

I actually was, what time roughly were you in there?

Sign in to follow this