N-Europe

Connectivity Problems

jayseven

Been having serious trouble getting onto the internet via wireless connection the last couple of days. Shorty's been kind enough to help me out by setting up a Belkins thingiwotsit wireless majig to see if it's my internal wireless card that's fried, and while the connection speed is better it appears the main problem I am having is I am not sending any information -- I can view several pages on the web, but I cannot submit posts here, upload images elsewhere, nor even *shock* browse facebook.

When viewing the details of the connection, it says I'm basically not sending any packets of information at all. Anyone got any ideas? Is it my laptop, the network, or what?

Thanks.

You must be sending some packets of information, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect to the wireless network or load ANY web pages (unless they're cached).

Tried reinstalling the wifi driver?

My firewall/antivirus has been dead for nearly a year anyway :P I live ON THE EDGE. It's not just my wireless card either, as I get the same problems with other wireless wotsits, and even a direct cable to the router.

Shorty did re-jig the network recently, I was wondering if it was possible he had altered something..? Is that even possible?

Gah. It's just ridiculous.

Go to the the Tech section.

I did. Didn't help. I'll talk to Shorty about what you said Fish, ta.

EDIT: Well We've not got a netgear router, and our MTU size is set to 0 (so the default is used...) And while we're all having problems with connection in general, mine appear to be the most severe. Had some fun in DOS but still no resolution. I expect these posts will be moved :)

Does a wired connection work?

You could try to download something like Ubuntu (a linux distro) and run the Live CD (it'll not affect your hard drive at all) - if that connects fine you'll know it's entirely software based.

Router firmware is up to date, and it should be worth clearing up two important points:

1. the connection works on my PC and on my girlfriend's laptop just fine. It also works with jayseven's laptop when wired with an RJ45 cable

2. jayseven has problems even when using a different, external wireless adapter (mine, which works fine for me)

I've run out of potential solutions, but as far as I can see these two points seem to rule out the adapter and the router as being the problem, and suggests it's something wrong with his laptop/settings/software.