N-Europe

Iwata Talks Wii Memory Issue

Retro_Link

I think that speed problem maybe could be solved via a firmware update too.

However, As you maybe don't need the whole game in the RAM at once it should even work with a slower SD bus speed...

But as long as you can't load games (save games, VC, Wii Ware) directly from there...

Also: If they release a HDD and if we can only copy content to there but not load directly from there - as with SD cards (I mean it isn't even possible with SD cards, so why should it be with a HDD) - we would have the same issues as currently.

I think that speed problem maybe could be solved via a firmware update too.

However, As you maybe don't need the whole game in the RAM at once it should even work with a slower SD bus speed...

But as long as you can't load games (save games, VC, Wii Ware) directly from there...

Also: If they release a HDD and if we can only copy content to there but not load directly from there - as with SD cards (I mean it isn't even possible with SD cards, so why should it be with a HDD) - we would have the same issues as currently.

Unlike increasing BUS speed it shouldn't be a problem to add support to load things from external storage devices via an update.

But in any case I think the SD as well as the USB2 bus would be too slow to load bigger games within reasonable time.

Normally both should be more than enough to load big games from them.

The only question is if the bus speeds on the Wii might have a hardware limit or a software limit (e.g. from the firmware - which could also explain a slow speed).

However, especially with SD cards the only real slowdown is the writing process.

If you just read from there you can copy 50MB and higher files in a few seconds...

Theoretically USB2.0 can go up to speeds of 60MBytes/sec, however reallistically it still would should get 30MBytes/sec (probably more) and therefore a N64 game would be loaded in 1-2 seconds (not even really noticable).

However the speed also depends on the HDD and SD card used or USB Stick used.

However, HDD should more or less for sure have enough speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo have commented on the issue again...

http://www.cubed3.com/news/10030

Nintendo recently commented on the Wii's storage solution during the WiiWare promotional event in Germany.

" At the moment, we of course know that some people are strug… well, it’s not that they’re struggling, it’s just that they don’t like the system as it’s set up at the moment. But at the end of the day, the system is manageable.

I realise that some people would like to store everything in one place, for easy accessibility, which is understandable. For them, it would be more convenient to have more space. But having said that, I don’t think that’s the general feeling of most of the people.

Most of the people are happy with what they have. Of course, we could increase our technology and add a hard drive, but then what we lose is simplicity and accessibility, which is one of the important things for us. We want our consoles to be easy to access and not cause headaches. "

Nintendo Europe’s senior marketing director Laurent Fischer

At least they could give people the option!

Clearly they see the SD cards as an efficient solution.

Why don't they run an email campaign linking to an online poll on the official website?

I already posted this in the HDD topic over on the Wii Channel boards.

Yeah the memory topic is being discussed in a lot of threads these days. I think the problem of the memory issue is more of a Wii channels centric issue, (what with the VC games, Wiiware and Wii channels being what takes up all the space,) so I reckon its time we took this back to the thread in the Wii Channels Discussion.

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=750509#post750509