NEurope
Dante

Nintendo Earnings Result: 24.45m Wii & 70.60m DS

I love the arguments, I want to see this numbers compared to other consoles. You can't accuse people of fanboyism when all you say is "oh its either Nintendo games or shitty games". What sold so well on Xbox360 or the PS3 for people to start accusing Nintendo?

And its not like developers have been trying a lot, just a few honourable mentions.

Edit: I knew it, fucking top of the page... I don't like attention over my illiterate rantings.

sorry what does hardware LTD stand for?

Life to Date, so basically the total sales till now.

25m in the next year?

So 50m by this time next year for Wii...

Thats a lot of consoles, console-generation winning form...

Some Ltds.:

DS

• Nintendogs - 18.67m

• Pokémon Diamond/Perl - 14.77m

• New Super Mario Bros. - 14.16m

• Brain Age - 12.98m

• Brain Age 2 - 10.83m

• Mario Kart DS - 10.45m

• Animal Crossing: Wild World - 9.53m

• Super Mario 64 DS - 6.12m

• Big Brain Acadmey - 5.01m

• The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 4.13m

• Mario Parts DS - 3.62m

• Yoshi´s Island DS - 2.91m

• Pokémon Ranger - 2.70m

• Flash Focus - 2.52m

• Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2 - 1.58m

Wii:

• Wii Sports - 21.56m

• Wii Play - 11.51m

• Super Mario Galaxy - 6.10m

• Mario Party 8 - 4.86m

• Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 4.85m

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 4.52m

• Super Paper Mario - 2.28m

• Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree - 2.26m

• WiiFit - 1.85m

• Mario Strikers Charged - 1.77m

• Link´s Crossbow Training - 1.71m

• Metroid Prime 3 Corruption - 1.31m

They're forecasting 25 million Wiis for next fiscal year. That means more than double what they sold now. Holy crap.

Nintendogs has sold 18 times as much as Metroid Prime 3. There is no justice.

I didn't dodge them, I answered them in the edit lol

To be fair mate i wrote my post 4 minutes before you did your edit. The original was pretty moronic.

I pretty much agree with everything in the edit and the last post though. Very interesting figures these, shows a lot about the Wii and how it sells.

Nintendogs has sold 18 times as much as Metroid Prime 3. There is no justice.

Indeed :/

To be fair mate i wrote my post 4 minutes before you did your edit. The original was pretty moronic.

I pretty much agree with everything in the edit and the last post though. Very interesting figures these, shows a lot about the Wii and how it sells.

Yeah I understand that, but what I sais in my first unedited post is obvious and I don't know how you didn't understand it. But, what matters is that in the end, the love came through.

SHOW THE DON SOME LOVE! :heart:

Nintendogs outsold Brawl, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy combined. Where is your god now?

Wait... third parties complain about their games not selling on Nintendo systems?

Wait... third parties complain about their games not selling on Nintendo systems?

You can't really compare games like Mario and Sonic and shit like that that sells well to big games 3rd parties want to make can you?

Look at the DS, it's mostly 3rd parties now and that's evident by the fact that the only good games coming up this year that we know of are Ace Attourney and erm, Mystery Dungeon 2...

DQ Monster Joker, DQ IX, FFIV, Fire Emblem, Chibi Robo, Kirby, Nanostray 2, Perfect Prosecutor, Rondo of Swords, FF:TA 2, Trauma Center, Sonic Chronicles, Band Brothers 2, etc Mind you I have no idea when these come out and sine I import everything I don't care about EU dates, but these are at the top of my head and I'm pretty sure there are lots more coming.

I also don't see where you're getting at with your post.

DQ Monster Joker, DQ IX, FFIV, Fire Emblem, Chibi Robo, Kirby, Nanostray 2, Perfect Prosecutor, Rondo of Swords, FF:TA 2, Trauma Center, Sonic Chronicles, Band Brothers 2, etc Mind you I have no idea when these come out and sine I import everything I don't care about EU dates, but these are at the top of my head and I'm pretty sure there are lots more coming.

I also don't see where you're getting at with your post.

In that list of games the ones that are most interesting are...erm....Fire emblem and trauma centre, and that's pusshing it, because i LOVE TC but it's hardly a big game. Oh, and Joker is already out.

And my post basically means that 3rd parties are basically thinking 'well, we COULD make a big epic game on wii, but we might aswell make a party compilation'. You can't really blame them, because unless it's a nintendo game or part of the main series (RE4 for example), they're better off saving money and making a party game (Carnival games for example) and they're pretty sure to make more money.

In that list of games the ones that are most interesting are...erm....Fire emblem and trauma centre, and that's pusshing it, because i LOVE TC but it's hardly a big game. Oh, and Joker is already out.

And my post basically means that 3rd parties are basically thinking 'well, we COULD make a big epic game on wii, but we might aswell make a party compilation'. You can't really blame them, because unless it's a nintendo game or part of the main series (RE4 for example), they're better off saving money and making a party game (Carnival games for example) and they're pretty sure to make more money.

Why not? Games like Zack and Wiki would sell more than 10 copies if third parties put effort into their titles and produced similarly innovative and fresh games.

Why not? Games like Zack and Wiki would sell more than 10 copies if third parties put effort into their titles and produced similarly innovative and fresh games.

The sales of Zack & Wiki have nothing to do with big name developers...it's just that most wii owners are people playing it casually (well, certaining a big % of wii owners anyway). Hardly any wii owners are interested in that type of game.

If more big 3rd party games came out for wii, more hardcore games would buy the console and games like Z&W would probably sell more, but it's got to a point where it's difficult for developers to commit because they don't really know where the Wii is going right now.

but it's got to a point where it's difficult for developers to commit because they don't really know where the Wii is going right now.

I think that's a pretty fair comment. But they still need to understand that they will be part of that picture.

Hardly any wii owners are interested in that type of game.
Get out. This forum, and each gaming forum on the internet is filled with those Wii owners. Z&W sold quite well, not much, but well enough. It would've been a cult hit on any given console anyway, and the Wii gave it a solid base.
it's got to a point where it's difficult for developers to commit because they don't really know where the Wii is going right now.
You mean other than a ridicilously huge installed base?

It's damn clear where the Wii is heading, but there's such a disgusting air of conservatism in the Wii development community :sad:

Look man, if you don't like the games, it's due to your taste, lots of great games are coming out for the DS, if you don't like them or choose to ignore them because it makes you sleep better it's not Nintendo's fault.

IF developers don't make an effort, they won't sell, it's as simple as that. We know that casual games have it easy for now, so if a dev does a good core game, market it well and it will do it's job hopefully.

Difficult to see where it's going? Indeed it is, you know who's in charge of changing that? 3rd parties. Nintendo is releasing core and casual games, they have VC and WiiWare up, now it's up to 3rd parties to make sure that we get to see PS360 multiplatform titles coming to Wii too and more exclusive games with effort put behind it.

It's also very funny that you say that most Wii players are casual, when out of the supposed list of 26 million sellers (the list might not be accurate), 16 are "hardcore". It's kinda hard to say for sure that most players prefer this or that though, but these numbers serve as a little help.

Z&W is a great game, but it would have been a risk on any of the current systems. Being a cutesy game means it would have probably flopped all the more on Xbox360 and PS3- and I don't think its been an utter failure on Wii. If it was an old tried and tested, billion selling series that they brought to Wii which then subsequently sold poorly, then you could say something is up. But the odds were always stacked against Zacko- cutesy, not casual, new franchise... not your game for the "typical" Wii demographic.

Oh, Nintendogs rocked and deserves its success. (Not that the games don't, but you make it sound like stuff such as Nintendogs and all are crap.)

So what would the plan be then forum users? Publishers plough tons of cash in to hardcore games on the Wii in order to try and change the fanbase? Then what? They sit back and pray their money isn't wasted?

Where do they get the man-power to do these games? Do they use the crap studios that they're currently making churn out mini-game compiliations? Or do they pull good resources away from Xbox 360, PS3 and PC games? If they use the former then the games will likely turn out crap. If they use the latter then they're taking a further risk by reducing output on the more "hardcore" focussed platforms.

Publishing Houses are businesses. They'll publish the games where they know they will sell, testing other markets with the occasional game to make sure they aren't missing out on the big money. The Wii is the polar opposite of the Xbox 360. You guys are the minority, in the same way that casual gamers are the minority on the Xbox 360. No More Heroes is to the Wii what Scene It! is to the Xbox 360, an experiment to see if there's a potential new market.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to make an hardcore game that takes full potential of the Wii then port it for the 360, than making one solely for 360? That would be awesome.

Anyway its not like hardcore games don't sell on Wii, just that a lot of casual do too. And of course the hardcore games seem to sell better on 360, because there's no casual games to counter those values.

And I would HARDLY call anything made by Suda51 as something capable of market testing.

World total TOP50 by game console

01. [NES] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 40.24m

02. [GB] Pokémon: Red and Blue (Nintendo) - 31.37m

03. [GB] Tetris (Nintendo) - 30.26m

04. [NES] NES Zapper: Duck Hunt (Nintendo) - 28.31m

05. [GB] Pokémon: Gold and Silver (Nintendo) - 23.10m

06. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 21.56m

07. [sNES] Super Mario World (Nintendo) - 20.61m

08. [NDS] Nintendogs (Nintendo) - 18.67m

09. [GB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - 18.10m

10. [NES] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - 17.28m

11. [GBA] Pokémon: Ruby and Sapphire (Nintendo) - 15.14m

12. [PS2] Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Rockstar Games) - 14.88m

13. [PS2] Gran Turismo 3 A-SPEC (SCE) - 14.84m

14. [NDS] Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl(Nintendo) - 14.77m

15. [GB] Pokémon: Special Pikachu Edition(Nintendo) - 14.64m

16. [PS2] Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Rockstar Games) - 14.20m

17. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros.(Nintendo) - 14.16m

18. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo) - 12.98m

19. [N64] Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) - 11.91m

20. [PS2] Grand Theft Auto Ⅲ (Rockstar Games) - 11.60m

21. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 11.51m

22. [GB] Super Mario Land 2 (Nintendo) - 11.18m

23. [GBA] Pokémon: FireRed and LeafGreen (Nintendo) - 11.00m

24. [PS] Gran Turismo (SCE) - 10.85m

25. [NDS] Brain Age 2 (Nintendo) - 10.83m

26. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 10.45m

27. [N64] Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo) - 9.87m

28. [PS] Final Fantasy VII (Square) - 9.72m

29. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 9.53m

30. [PS] Gran Turismo 2 (SCE) - 9.37m

31. [sNES] Donkey Kong Country (Nintendo) - 9.30m

32. [sNES] Super Mario Kart (Nintendo) - 8.76m

33. [PS2] Gran Turismo 4 (SCE) - 8.20m

34. [XBOX] HALO 2 (Microsoft) - 8.19m

35. [N64] GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo) - 8.09m

36. [360] HALO 3 (Microsoft) - 8.00m

37. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square) - 7.95m

38. [PS] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) - 7.86m

39. [N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo) - 7.60m

40. [PS] Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (SCE) - 7.57m

41. [NES] Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - 7.46m

42. [PS] Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (SCE) - 7.12m

43. [GC] Super Smash Bros. Melee (Nintendo) - 7.09m

44. [PS] TEKKEN 3 (Namco) - 6.91m

45. [PS] Crash Bandicoot (SCE) - 6.80m

46. [GC] Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (Nintendo) - 6.60m

47. [NES] The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo) - 6.51m

48. [PS2] Need for Speed: Underground (Electronic Arts) - 6.49m

49. [XBOX] HALO (Microsoft) - 6.43m

50. [GBA] Pokémon: Emerald (Nintendo) - 6.40m

European hardware sales:

United Kingdom:

Wii: 2.562.000 [till end of March 08]

360: 2.000.000 [till 04/06/2008]

PS3: 1.063.000 [till end of March 08]

France till end of March 08:

Wii: 1.470.000

PS3: 630.000

360: 610.000

Germany:

Wii: 920.000 [till end of March 08]

PS3: 400.000 [till end of March 08]

360: 384.000 [till end of Dec. 08]

Spain till end of Dec. 07:

Wii: 660.000

PS3: 410.000

360: 225.000

Italy till end of Feb. 08

PS3: 423.000

360: 364.000

Wii: 300.500

Norway till end of Dec. 07:

Wii: 57.000

PS3: 57.000

360: 45.000

Austria till end of Nov. 07:

360: 47.000

Wii: 40.000

PS3: 34.000

Switzerland:

Wii: 100.000 [till end of Dec. 07]

PS3: 20.000 [till 08/04/07]

360: ??.???

Benelux till end of Aug. 07:

PS3: 100.000

Wii: ???.???

360: ???.???

Portugal till end of Nov. 07:

PS3: 30.000

Wii: 8.000 - 12.000

360: 7.000 - 10.000

Poland till end of Sep. 07:

360: 20.000

Wii: 10.000

PS3: 10.000

Total:

Wii: 6.131.500

360: 3.705.000

PS3: 3.177.000

Sources: GfK, Media Control, ChartTrack, AC Nielsen, Screen Digest, NG&MA, (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft).

Australia/New Zealand hardware sales:

Australia:

360: 320.000 [till end of March 08]

Wii: 293.990 [till end of Dec. 07]

PS3: 155.000 [till end of Dec. 07]

New Zealand:

360: 40.000 [till end of March 08]

PS3: 20.857 [till end of Dec. 07]

Wii: 5.996 [till end of March 07]

Total:

360: 360.000

Wii: 299.986