NEurope

There's no point in comparing screens as they're on two completely different machines. Compare The Conduit to COD:WAW on the wii or Red Steel but Not Halo 3 or Killzone 2 because it's obvious how much better the graphics are on a HD machine..

For a Wii game it has good, but not great graphics. It has excellent effects though.

Edited by Nicktendo

liking Red Steel, yes it had issues because it was a rushed launch title, but the potential was there and the setting and pace of the game was incredible.

I hear ya! I still like Red Steel to this day, despite all it's flaws. The setting is great, and atleast doesn't involve a secret agent of bald space marine to avert an invasion by blasting every alien in sight. I feel The Conduit is just seems so... 'been-there-done-that'. You could indeed argue that's the case too with NSMB, but there is a difference between classic and just old-fashioned.

When I see the videos, and don't see bad game. iIjust don't see anything that appeals to me personally. I really liked Halo, wasn't that fond about Halo 2 and completely skipped Halo 3. I've bought Killzone 2, and it looks incredible... but it plays like any shooter I've played since who knows when. I don't even play it anymore. When I see The Conduit, I don't feel any excitement. Maybe this is will change over time, but truth be told, at the moment I feel bored when I watch footage from The Conduit. No doubt it'll control wonderfully, but why the same ol' setting and backstory? Atleast Red Steel tried to do something different, even though the controls were far from perfect.

COD:MW was a rare exception for me: traditional controls (that worked very well. Nothing wrong with traditional controls, after all.) and some interesting new ideas.

Edited by Strange Cookie

I want another timesplitters actually, I would like another shooter that scraps the regen health to make it seem more of a challenge.

I hear ya! I still like Red Steel to this day, despite all it's flaws. The setting is great, and atleast doesn't involve a secret agent of bald space marine to avert an invasion by blasting every alien in sight. I feel The Conduit is just seems so... 'been-there-done-that'. You could indeed argue that's the case too with NSMB, but there is a difference between classic and just old-fashioned.

When I see the videos, and don't see bad game. iIjust don't see anything that appeals to me personally. I really liked Halo, wasn't that fond about Halo 2 and completely skipped Halo 3. I've bought Killzone 2, and it looks incredible... but it plays like any shooter I've played since who knows when. I don't even play it anymore. When I see The Conduit, I don't feel any excitement. Maybe this is will change over time, but truth be told, at the moment I feel bored when I watch footage from The Conduit. No doubt it'll control wonderfully, but why the same ol' setting and backstory? Atleast Red Steel tried to do something different, even though the controls were far from perfect.

COD:MW was a rare exception for me: traditional controls (that worked very well. Nothing wrong with traditional controls, after all.) and some interesting new ideas.

Apart from the sword fighting, and the couple S rank bugs I found, I really enjoyed Red Steel. Can't wait for the sequel. Any news on it, actually?

Yeah, Halo 2 was painfully bad. I bought it for £5 and even regretted it then. You should give Halo 3 a try. The 4 player online co-op is such a blast. The most fun I've had online ever.

If you've got KillZone you should play it with us lot on the Other Console Boards. The more we get the better but we have pretty solid group going (which I really need to play with more :heh: ).

There's no point in comparing screens as they're on two completely different machines. Compare The Conduit to COD:WAW on the wii or Red Steel but Not Halo 3 or Killzone 2 because it's obvious how much better the graphics are on a HD machine..

Not "an HD machine", please. A "more powerful machine". I play the 360 in SD and on a 12 year old CRT 28'' TV and it still looks far superior. It's not the HD functionality that distinguishes the 360/PS3 from the Wii. Comparing 360 to Wii, even in SD, is like comparing Gamecube to N64.

I don't own Halo 3, but that screen comparison between that and The Conduit is beyond biased! Show me a close up of a texture on The Conduit and show me a close up of a texture in ANY 360 game, not just Halo 3. Even Condemned, a launch game which I own looks better.

When will people stop saying that the 360/PS3 look like Wii when running in SD? It just isn't true. SD, HD, doesn't matter, they are more powerful machines, they look better, full stop.

Nintendo will catch up next-gen, but not this one. Wii is what it is. It is more powerful than what we've seen so far, yes, but not in the 360/PS3 category.

Since when did I become trustworthy...?

Anywho as I see the game; its an entertaining FPS but part of the charm will probably be lost if you have played a lot of PS3 and 360 FPSes (FPS'?) but in terms of the Wii its certainly unique.

I think that made more sense in my head. Whatever.... ::shrug:

Not "an HD machine", please. A "more powerful machine". I play the 360 in SD and on a 12 year old CRT 28'' TV and it still looks far superior.

And in one sentence, you've nailed my problem with these HD Machines. They're promoted as such machines, arguably its why their on the planet- but yet a sad number of people play in standard def. Seems absolutely pointless- few would buy Sky HD with no High Def TV simply for the extra content and better SD image, so why have so many bought a PS3 or 360 without the accompanying display?

Since when did I become trustworthy...?

In respect of The Conduit, you're a far more trustworthy source than someone who hasn't played it, and simply wishes to flame it because its not on 360 and considers it heresy to have a game on Wii developed with passion and respect.

You've completely missed the point, yes these consoles look great in HD but the improvement in standard definition is still amazing because it's the actual graphical output that makes the games look great in the first place.

And the visuals aren't everything anyway, it's a factor, but I bought the PS3 because of the games.

I'm sorry, but this sounds very silly, to put it mildly... :blank: You buy games you don't play just "to support the cause", whatever that means. Right... :indeed:

If the games aren't worth playing (obviously they aren't to you), then "the cause" isn't worth supporting.

For the next 2-3 months I won't really have to time to play games, but i've still went out and got Madworld. From what i heard it's a great game so surely there's nothing wrong in buying it? I used to be a harcore gamer and I know Wii gamer's out there want more core titles so that's why I went out and got it, even though I've only played about an hour of it.

It's a quality game, just i'd rather revise for a few hours than play on. I said 'support the cause' because I want there to be more core Wii games out there.

And in one sentence, you've nailed my problem with these HD Machines. They're promoted as such machines, arguably its why their on the planet- but yet a sad number of people play in standard def. Seems absolutely pointless- few would buy Sky HD with no High Def TV simply for the extra content and better SD image, so why have so many bought a PS3 or 360 without the accompanying display?

What? Did you read his post?

In respect of The Conduit, you're a far more trustworthy source than someone who hasn't played it, and simply wishes to flame it because its not on 360 and considers it heresy to have a game on Wii developed with passion and respect.

What flaming?

You've completely missed the point

No. You're the one who has missed the point- you're the one who has got a machine that you're simply not getting the most out of. The FACT is that these machines are here in their chosen state is primarily as HD Machines- neither Sony or Microsoft promote these as great looking SD Machines. The fact they have composite connections is a concession to those without a High Def display- or perhaps more accurately to ensure they're not closing the market on themselves.

No. You're the one who has missed the point- you're the one who has got a machine that you're simply not getting the most out of. The FACT is that these machines are here in their chosen state is primarily as HD Machines- neither Sony or Microsoft promote these as great looking SD Machines. The fact they have composite connections is a concession to those without a High Def display- or perhaps more accurately to ensure they're not closing the market on themselves.

They are optimised for HD TVs. They work on all TVs. You've not only missed the point, but the one you are attempting to make makes very little sense.

Stop being silly david. I've played the console on a 42" plasma 1080p TV, it looks great, but having it set up in my room on a smaller SD TV is still just as worth playing because on no other home console can I play against 59 other people in a shooting fest online.

They are optimised for HD TVs. They work on all TVs. You've not only missed the point, but the one you are attempting to make makes very little sense.

I'm not doubting the power of these machines, they're damned impressive. But who on earth are you kidding with the term "optimised"- they're built around HD simple as. Find me any statement from execs where they push the SD performance of the consoles- or use the word 'optimised'. SD is simply a concession- Sony and Microsoft would happily drop composite support if they felt the market would sustain such a move.

The point I am tryin to make is, which is quite simple really is- i don't see why you'd not want to get the most out of your tech.

But if you don't have an HD TV you still get the benefits of the systems power. The only thing you are missing out on with an SD TV is the resolution.

I'm not sure what you mean by SD performance. SD has been maxed out, you can't make things look any better on an SD TV.

Well maybe because the games look great anyway and I don't want to burn £400 + quid right now? Who cares about what the execs want you to think? They push the HD thing because it is quite a good advancement that needs mentioning but in the end as long as the consoles sell who gives a shit but about the performance you're getting but you?

Edited by dwarf

I've played the console on a 42" plasma 1080p TV, it looks great, but having it set up in my room on a smaller SD TV is still just as worth playing because on no other home console can I play against 59 other people in a shooting fest online.

Again, i'm not doubting the abilities or the enjoyment. I don't see why you'd not want to get the most out of your tech. Simple. The whole point of HD is for larger screens- SD images simply couldn't be made much larger than 32in.

Years ago, i read an interesting article in Home Cinema Choice, the writer commented on HD tech and how confusing it was going to prove when hitting the market.

How did they mark New Super Mario Bros? Thats a well executed, fun but rather old fashioned platformer. And i doubt they sounded quite so negative.

NSMB was a return of the 2D Mario which hadn't been seen since the SNES days. It was a great 2D platformer, a genre which is dying in and has little competition. The Conduit is a FPS, a genre which is pretty much overloaded.

Again im not saying the game will be bad it just does nothing for me. When a mag like ONM starts getting a little negative in a preview I tend to take more notice due to the fact that they usually hype the hell out of anything Nintendo related and any exclusives heading for Nintendo platforms.

I never got the argument about HD not making a difference on screens smaller than 32". I notice the difference on my 19" computer screen.

Can we rename this to the "General Bitching Thread" now please?

Even though the comment you just made was the most pointless and bitchiest?

The topic is going wildly off though. This is for The Conduit not for discussion of HDTVs and the benefits of ubergraphics on the 360 and such. Please try and stay on topic everyone. Thank you :)

The topic is going wildly off though. This is for The Conduit not for discussion of HDTVs and the benefits of ubergraphics on the 360 and such. Please try and stay on topic.

Dank u, good sir. :)

I'm somewhat in a tussle between getting this, or picking up Medal of Honor 2: Heroes. Doesn't that feature 16 (or is it 32) player online? Do people still play that around here? The only reason I'd pick it up would be for a few games with folks on here. I think a lot of people will be picking this up, though. Hmm.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I'm not sure what you mean by SD performance.

How it looks on an SD display.

SD has been maxed out, you can't make things look any better on an SD TV.

But that depends on what you're talking about. There's plenty of scope for Freeview, Sky with improved bit rates and games consoles never really reached a look comparable to DVD of Shrek or Monster Inc, so in that respect there's plenty of room for improvement. In regards to the actual displays, theres simply no market for improved SD display.

Dank u, good sir. :)

I'm somewhat in a tussle between getting this, or picking up Medal of Honor 2: Heroes. Doesn't that feature 16 (or is it 32) player online? Do people still play that around here? The only reason I'd pick it up would be for a few games with folks on here. I think a lot of people will be picking this up, though. Hmm.

Your best bet would be to pick this up. As you said alot of people on here will be buying it and online games are great when everyone is a noob and hasnt a clue where the weapons are or where the hell to go on the map :D