N-Europe

Asus Eee Box Unveiled (It's a Wii)

Dante

The scoop wire was running late tonight and these shots of Asus' upcoming Eee Desktop made their way to our inbox just now, so we thought we'd give you the digital relay on the skinny... literally. Though it's hard to get a sense of size here, this thing is obviously svelte. We don't have firm details but since this is an Asus "Eee" product, we can assume it follows the same mantra of "Easy to Learn, Easy to Work, Easy to Play". Maybe a beefed up Linux distro and application bundle? We'll see...

small_eeebox2.jpgsmall_eeebox1.jpg

We should caution you that these are not "official" pictures per se. In fact, we can't really comment on the source of these pics except to say that they are indeed shots of an Asus Eee PC Desktop product that should be arriving to market some time in the next quarter or so.

www.hothardware.com

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My respect Asus for has just dropped a little.

it looks far to much like a Wii it's a joke, it's not hard to make something original up.

So no manufacturer is allowed to make a rectangle a couple of inches thick anymore?

So no manufacturer is allowed to make a rectangle a couple of inches thick anymore?
The colour, photography, blue power led and the way it stands are so Wii-like, there's no way they haven't stolen it. I can't really blame them, but it's a copy alright.

The colour, photography, blue power led and the way it stands are so Wii-like, there's no way they haven't stolen it. I can't really blame them, but it's a copy alright.

The Wii has a green power LED. Unless mine is broken???

TBH it's just the stand that makes it look Wii-like. The unit itself looks a lot nicer than the Wii

The Wii's main light (the disk drive) is the same colour blue.

My PC monitor uses the same shade of blue, so does my PC Case, keyboard, mouse and loads of other devices. It's a popular colour in the PC market, ASUS have been using it a lot longer than Nintendo.

If it was the disk slot then fair enough, but it's just a power LED.

Having a stand is the only thing that refers to the wii, glossy white was stolen from iPods in the first place, the Box shape is stolen from, say, every device you can think of and the blue light is nothing original either.

Again, we need a bad guy to steal from Nintendo. It looks barely like a Wii...

Mac mini as in 'low-cost' computer, or as 'it looks like it'.

I'm guessing the first, though it's not really that expensive as a mac mini, and at least it runs Linux instead of Windows. :wink:

I really think that this stand has barely any resemblance to the Wii stand, though. It lifts the thing up, and it doesn't really look as plastic as Wii's...

So now Nintendo owns that Angle? You guys are really trying to find a needle in a haystack.
If so many people think it, it's a strong hint that Asus really did design it with that in mind. There are a lot of differences, but the machines general look (which is hard to describe) is really Wii-like.

Any word on the specs of this thing? May make a great home theater box for little money.

I personally think it looks more like an external hard drive - and so does the Wii, except, well, for that disc slot glowing blue (and making my mom insane if I'm not home - she even unplugged the thing because the blue light next to the tv distracts).

But okay, if you start out by saying it looks like a Wii, then off course everyone is going to think that. I could do a comparison list, and the only thing that looks alike is the box-shape (roughly three dvd's stacked together?) and a blue light, but not disc slot.

Wait a second - it doesn't have a disc slot... That's not right, is it?

Wait a second - it doesn't have a disc slot... That's not right, is it?

It probably is, the Eee PC doesn't have one either. Asus are going for cheap with these machines, if they can knock a few quid off their costs by dropping an optical drive then they will