N-Europe

Starwars

• 4 weeks later...

Yar the next one should be decent- it seems pretty relevant to the Nintendo gamer. What about Galaxies though... you played it? I thought it was gonna be a boring look at it, but I didn't know about all that stuff with it being updated ("NGE" was it?) and I found it pretty interesting how things has panned out with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Captain Falcon

Here you go guys - Episode IX - Rebel Assault and Rogue Squadron

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39609.html

Brings back some good memories does that. I'm still amazed to this day how good Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike look.

The narrator mentions how RS2 set new standards for Star Wars graphics, but lets be honest, nothing on any console even came close to looking that good - at the time.

To honest, I didn't really mind some of the on foot sections of RS3. Sure, some outstayed their welcome (the bonus missions mostly) but they weren't horrendous.

I think I was more annoyed at the flight levels. For me, they were nowhere near as good as RS2s were. They were lacking something special - I probably spent more time on Luke's section of levels rather than Wedge's, in terms of repeated play.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Captain Falcon

And finally to complete the series, I present for your viewing pleasure, Episode X...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40053.html

"The circle is now complete - the Force will be with you, always." reads the caption. I think I'll go with "The crap you wouldn't play even if your life depended on it".

Even if I weren't a Star Wars fan, it would still pain me to see such shoddy use of the licence. I know some of the other episodes saw some bad titles, but at least most of them were based on a good idea. I can't even say these scream "Ch-Ching" because who in their right mind would realistically expect them to sell in enough quantites to make a decent return - licence or no licence.

Rogue Squadron is the best in the series - a unique (albeit not great) storyline and it just had interesting missions. RS2 looked cool but it just wasn't quite as epic - although I did love the fact that you could play it cooperatively in RS3 - it really did make the Battle of Endor that little bit more epic.

Best Star Wars game ever (in my opinion) = KotOR - just funkin' amazing. Everything about it was awesome and the story really does just drive you through the game.

Jedi Knight 2 is also absolutely brilliant. But that goes without saying. The Battlefront games are also worthy of a mention. X-Wing Alliance was so much fun, especially online and it also had some great missions.

My most favourite Star Wars game ever though? Galactic Battlegrounds - my friends and I adored this online/on a network to the point where we still play it fairly frequently - the sheer scale of the battles really did make it a winner. I was so disappointed when they decided to follow up with Empire at War. It just wasn't the same.

By the way, that train planet in Shadows of the Empire is called Ord Mantell. The book version of the game was so much better though - my copy is actually signed by Kenny Baker as my brother got to meet him once!

I really enjoyed Shadows of the Empire at the time although playing it again it feels very dated and cumbersome. My faves though are probably the Super Star Wars games on the SNES, Tie Fighter, Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader and KOTOR. I also enjoyed Bounty Hunter even though it was a bit of a blast away linear kinda game, it was still cool.

Guest Captain Falcon

I'm going to say it, and I don't care if you guys give me strange looks, but I really enjoyed The Clone Wars game on the GC.

It certainly helped that I picked it up cheap, but it was still a pretty fun game.

Sure the parts when you played as a Jedi weren't exactly fantastic thanks to having hardly any moves, it being impossible to actually block shots, the fact that the force was absolutely useless, and the tank-like controls. But unlike RS3, at least the on foot controls were actually responsive - meaning once you've worked out the limitations of your character, it made them much easier to use, as appose to just being broken.

And some of the levels were quite epic. It was just a shame that only about 5 of the 16 levels let you use the gunship because it was great swooping over the battlefield and seeing all the troops underneath. Sure, they were mostly sprites admittedly, but it still added to the sense of scale.

And one of the last levels (I think it was the second to last before you got into the city) has a massive open field in which you had to zip all over it in order your tank to protect your walkers as they advanced.

Great stuff indeed.

It just needed more proper missions and less filler crap - I don't want to race a speeder bike or stap thank you very much. I want to lead of an army into battle against another.

When it was good, I thought it was very good.

I'd so love them to do a new clone wars game and I don't mean those recently revealed Jedi games.

The developer interview said they set out to make the rogue squadron of ground combat and I think they achieved it. I would just like see them take another shot to see if they could bring it up to the same standard set by RS2.

I'm going to say it, and I don't care if you guys give me strange looks, but I really enjoyed The Clone Wars game on the GC.

It certainly helped that I picked it up cheap, but it was still a pretty fun game.

Sure the parts when you played as a Jedi weren't exactly fantastic thanks to having hardly any moves, it being impossible to actually block shots, the fact that the force was absolutely useless, and the tank-like controls. But unlike RS3, at least the on foot controls were actually responsive - meaning once you've worked out the limitations of your character, it made them much easier to use, as appose to just being broken.

And some of the levels were quite epic. It was just a shame that only about 5 of the 16 levels let you use the gunship because it was great swooping over the battlefield and seeing all the troops underneath. Sure, they were mostly sprites admittedly, but it still added to the sense of scale.

And one of the last levels (I think it was the second to last before you got into the city) has a massive open field in which you had to zip all over it in order your tank to protect your walkers as they advanced.

Great stuff indeed.

It just needed more proper missions and less filler crap - I don't want to race a speeder bike or stap thank you very much. I want to lead of an army into battle against another.

When it was good, I thought it was very good.

I'd so love them to do a new clone wars game and I don't mean those recently revealed Jedi games.

The developer interview said they set out to make the rogue squadron of ground combat and I think they achieved it. I would just like see them take another shot to see if they could bring it up to the same standard set by RS2.

I agree entirely with your comment regarding The Clone Wars on GC - I almost forgot about that game - t'was fuckin' awesome! Some of the missions really did give off that massive Star Wars-humongous-battle-feel, such as the missions on that last planet of which the name escapes me.

Also, the co-op 4 player Geonosian arena mode was great fun, albeit a tad simple!