N-Europe

Formatting Wii Memory

david.dakota

Should I ever need t format the Wii memory, what exactly will I loose? Obviously all saves and VC games - however, could this be remedied by placing saves and VC onto SD card and copying them back across?

Would VC games still work - does it change the Wii System Number - and what about Shop Points?

I think you have to download VC games again. When you format, it asks you whether you want to keep your Wii shop data.

Besides game saves and VC games, you'll lose channels as well as your Miis but everything except Miis can be copied to an SD card. However copying things back can be quite annoying because to copy a save, the game to the according save must be inserted into the Wii.

Your Miis can be backed up via Wiimote.

I made a thread about this a while ago.The wii save system is cumbersome and compared to the simple process of memory cards seems like a massive step backwards. It should have just been easy to back up to SD card and plug into any wii and play. Annoying. And the fact certain games can be transferrable is nieve and stupid.

There is a way to keep ANY save file (it which was covered in my thread).

Answers here, within the thread

Long story short:

You loose:

-Your saves

-Your downloaded channels and VC games

-Your Miis

-Your settings

-Your pictures and messages of the Wii message board

You DON'T loose:

-Your Wii points, and you can still download the VC games you had for free

-Your Wii number

-Your Wii updated firmware

I'm not sure if you loose your list of registered friends, but I guess you loose them too.