NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MachRider

Is Revolution region free?

Since many of my Gamecube games are NTSC imports, I was wondering if I'll be able to play them on Revo out-of-the-box or there'll still be need for freeloader discs to play games from another region?

Simple answer is we don't know. But I highly doubt it will be region free.

True, I guess it won't be, because of backward TV standards compatibility (framerate, interlaced vs. progressive scan etc.), but don't know how HDTV fits in that picture, though. Isn't HDTV the same all around the world?

Also I think 640x480 progressive resolution at 60fps should work everywhere. Some PAL GC games (Geist for example) already require 60Hz TVs (PAL standard is 50Hz but 99.9% of TVs support 60Hz).

But then, I guess we'll have Freeloader discs/cards once again... does Nintendo actually support those or does it treat them as illegal? Will GC Freeloader work in Revo?

ah yes but did i not hear that the downloaded nes snes and n64 games can bee from any server i.e. we in the uk can download a american version of earthbound from the american server. so for the downloaded games it will be reagion free so they could always make the rev accept any region for the disc games, whilst on the subject there are rumours that the ps3 will be reagion free.

whilst on the subject there are rumours that the ps3 will be reagion free.

After the fuss Sony kicked up with ppl importing PSP's, I highly doubt they will make the PS3 region free

I hope they at least make the cube games part region free, hopefully the whole thing will be region free.

Originally Posted by 1upking

After the fuss Sony kicked up with ppl importing PSP's, I highly doubt they will make the PS3 region free

So did i but the reason behind the rumour was something like makingit easier to determine that anyone who mod chip's (is that right?) their ps3 will be for piracy reasons instead of ingnorance on wanting to mod it for import reasons or something like that anyway

Hmmm, if they do make it region free, it could make NTSC -> PAL transitions faster, because then the Revolution is locked to 60 Hz (PAL60, like Metroid Prime 2).

but people without pal 60 tv's can't play them...

And with games like Metriod Prime 2 and Geist it seems like Nintendo only want people who have 60Hz TV sets to play there games. :P

Well, I think that they want there games to be played only one 60Hz tv sets, ovbiously I can't speak for Nintendo but there has to be a reason why they made a few games 60Hz only.

Why do you people ask these stupid questions, we know very little about as it is, we dont even know its tech specs, how the hell would we know if its region encoded.

Sign in to follow this