Kirkatronics

Sexist?

Is it sexist?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is it sexist?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • I dont care

Do you think its sexist that it costs more for a male driver to insure their cars than a female driver?

In some cases it can be less 1/2 of the Males cost.

Yes, I find women drivers irratating, and no doesn't include myself because I can't legally drive yet woo ^.^

It is. Also, men have better spacial awareness than women, so are infact better drivers (if they put their mind to it, and only by a tiny amount, mind).

It's extremely sexist, just because you get some 18 year old guys driving souped up cars and dying, doesn't mean every other guy should suffer.

No, its less of a risk to insure women, so the companys can afford to charge less, just as if you are a professional skydiver it would cost more for life insurance than if you were an IT guy

Yes it is stereotyping, as they are offering a better deal to women just because they are women. You can't help being born how you are, and you shouldn't be charged more because of it.

It is. Also, men have better spacial awareness than women, so are infact better drivers (if they put their mind to it, and only by a tiny amount, mind).

It's extremely sexist, just because you get some 18 year old guys driving souped up cars and dying, doesn't mean every other guy should suffer.

pssh, I doubt it. I use to ride a bike and found that that gives you better awareness compared to just hopping in a car and going ''I'm a man therefore I'm a better driver''

utter bollocks ^.^ I agree that women can be quite idiotic drivers, but there's a fair share of men who pay no attention to whats around them, specially when I was on a motorbike, and my bike wasn't bloody small either.

No, its less of a risk to insure women, so the companys can afford to charge less, just as if you are a professional skydiver it would cost more for life insurance than if you were an IT guy

But whos life insurance would cost more?

Female Sky Diver, or male?

Your example wasnt to do with gender.

But whos life insurance would cost more?

Female Sky Diver, or male?

Your example wasnt to do with gender.

Depends entirely.

Put it this way, if it were the other way round women would be going mad.

I can see why they do it, and they're right to do it, but it doesn't stop it being sexist.

Yeh, a job of a skydiver is a personal choice, and one that you would know the risks of before taking it up. But your gender is set in stone - and I don't consider surgery to say otherwise. :p

It might also be better financially to pay, say, a female builder less than a male builder than have to pay a woman the same amount, yet laws stop this from happening. The same laws should exist within car insurance IMO.

Yeh, a job of a skydiver is a personal choice, and one that you would know the risks of before taking it up. But your gender is set in stone - and I don't consider surgery to say otherwise. :p

It might also be better financially to pay, say, a male builder more than a female builder more money than have to pay a woman the same amount, yet laws stop this from happening. The same laws should exist within car insurance IMO.

Set in flesh :p

pssh, I doubt it. I use to ride a bike and found that that gives you better awareness compared to just hopping in a car and going ''I'm a man therefore I'm a better driver''

utter bollocks ^.^ I agree that women can be quite idiotic drivers, but there's a fair share of men who pay no attention to whats around them, specially when I was on a motorbike, and my bike wasn't bloody small either.

Hehe, thats what both my pyschology teachers told me, both women. They're probably wrong though, like you say.

The reason women are in less accidents is merely because there are less women drivers..

I highly doubt thats true.

Hehe, thats what both my pyschology teachers told me, both women. They're probably wrong though, like you say.

haha, no men and women are both pretty crap when it comes to driving, I'm not amazing myself when at my driving lessons.

There's something about being on the road on another vechicle that isn't a box that has to make you more aware, which is handy when you get into a car.

:indeed:

this is a silly argument.

I am a motor insurance underwriter, and the premiums are set by statistics and statistics only. Premiums are affected not just by gender, but by age, area, occupation, mileage, use, martial status and more things than i can be bothered to list here.

If the statistics show a certain type of person is more likely to cost the insurer money then they will be charged more, and the statistics iverwhelmingly show that young males will crash, i believe its about 1 in 3 17-19 years olds have a fault accident in their first year driving. Plus the accidents are generally more costly to insurers.

If you are one of the people who is a safe driver, you get no claims discount and premiums reduced.

edit: thought it might further make my point to add that many companies are now not offering insurance to young males as they make such a loss on them, despite the high premium. The company I work for will not insure a male under 19, or 21 for fully comp as it is so costly. They are among a large variety of differnet jobs, areas etc that we refuse to insure because of the statistically proven high cost and risk

I am a motor insurance underwriter, and the premiums are set by statistics and statistics only. Premiums are affected not just by gender, but by age, area, occupation, mileage, use, martial status and more things than i can be bothered to list here.

If the statistics show a certain type of person is more likely to cost the insurer money then they will be charged more, and the statistics iverwhelmingly show that young males will crash, i believe its about 1 in 3 17-19 years olds have a fault accident in their first year driving. Plus the accidents are generally more costly to insurers.

If you are one of the people who is a safe driver, you get no claims discount and premiums reduced.

I put miss instead of mr with direct line, and i got a quote for 1200. When i corrected it it went up by 600. So whats that mean then?

But statistics would show that a man is capable of lifting more, possibly allowing him to be more efficient at a job, yet the law states either gender must be paid the same. Don't get me wrong, women might well be better at something else yet men would be paid the same.

So why can't there be laws charging genders the same too? I'm not talking about age, since obviously a younger driver has less experience, and an old one might be senile. But gender is specifically taking into account the 'lads like going fast' concept, which is stereotypical.

edit: thought it might further make my point to add that many companies are now not offering insurance to young males as they make such a loss on them, despite the high premium. The company I work for will not insure a male under 19, or 21 for fully comp as it is so costly. They are among a large variety of differnet jobs, areas etc that we refuse to insure because of the statistically proven high cost and risk

it means that differnet insurers have different risk matrixes

You just said that they arent affected by gender.

so are you suggesting that everyone pays the same premium regardless? would your claim free, points free parents be happy paying £800 for their own car insurance, just to keep some mentally deficient young men with cheap premiums?

edit: warandchaos: can you read?? i said not just by, meaning that it isn't the only thing that effects it, obviously.

so are you suggesting that everyone pays the same premium regardless? would your claim free, points free parents be happy paying £800 for their own car insurance, just to keep some mentally deficient young men with cheap premiums?
Were not saying people with little experience should pay the same as those with lots. Were saying its wrong to treat men and women differently by charging them different prices.

edit: warandchaos: can you read?? i said not just by, meaning that it isn't the only thing that effects it, obviously.

Read my post again, I said that age was obviously something fair to judge since a young fresh driver would have no experience. To judge on the grounds of having a penis though is frankly offensive.

But your gender is set in stone - and I don't consider surgery to say otherwise. :p

What rubbish.