N-Europe

Why is my PC so slow?

EEVILMURRAY

Recently my PC has been most unresponsive. It takes about a minute for WMP to play a new track, and even simple things like clicking save when saving a picture seem to take a fair bit of time.

I've virus scanned twice and it's found nothing. I've tried restarting my computer as well.

You're using Vista right?

No, I joke. Check all of your start up programs, often these can be using up a lot of your RAM just being in the background. Norton Anti-Virus is a classic example. Also it might just be the newest version of WMP, I stopped using it for similar reasons.

I just "updated" WMP again, I went back to 10 because 11 was a piece of shit. But it's still slow as fuck and the format of the library is bollocks. I think I'll go back to 10 in a minute.

Specs

AMD Athlon 64 Processor

3000+

1.81 GHz, 1gb of Ram

I've got around 50gb left on my hard drive. I'm trying that Spybot now [used to have it ages ago] I downloaded a video converter yesterday/day before which my housemate may have had spyware on it. Then I'll go back to sexy WMP 10. With a proper fucking library.

System restore to a much earlier time. This helped after I installed Ragnarok Online on this PC. Despite this PC being a beast it for some reason didn't like it (while my old PC ages back had been fine), as a result doing anything was tremendously slow.