N-Europe

Xmas Wii Problems on Watchdog

flameboy

Show just started now on BBC 1. Not sure whether it is criticizing Nintendo or retailers as it is on later in the show, but they just showed some stuff about it...

Half listening to the sound-From what I heard sounds like delivery issues, and not directly Nintendos fault. But I'II continue to watch.

Yeah Total Scam, makes me wonder how can people be so careless? Whenever I order from online retailers I always use big name companies and I'm very wary of small time stores. The only time I'd trust the smaller shops stores would be if I was shopping there in person.

It sucks for the people that lost the cash.

I have a feeling it was the cheaper4you scandal. People trusted it because they had an ad in the sun and the mirror. And because they trust those papers they also trusted the company. I know there was another place people brought from, and it turned out to be a scam also.

News article on it

British consumer rights show Watchdog is on the post-Christmas hunt for high street justice following a BBC news item highlighting a shameless seasonal scam preying on the massive appeal of the Nintendo Wii videogames console.

Specifically, according to the consumer report, as many as 2,500 Christmas shoppers in the UK have been stung by Oldham-based store Ozone Electronics, which guaranteed to deliver Nintendo’s hugely popular gaming machine by the middle of December - but failed to make good on that promise and instead made off with the subsequent rush of seasonal customer money.

With credit and debit card payments taken but no Wii units delivered, some 200 disgruntled shoppers hoping to secure Nintendo’s console before December 25 have now reported Ozone Electronics to the Oldham division of the Trading Standards office.

With the Wii seemingly all-but unattainable on the high street this Christmas, and only over-the-odds prices on eBay offering any real success for those attempting to track down Nintendo’s innovative console, customer Kate Donaghey rushed to place an order with Ozone Electronics based on its delivery promise.

However, when the delivery date came and went, a concerned Kate phoned Ozone Electronics only to be met with a recorded message. Similarly, the store’s Web site simply stated that it had closed and would not be able to dispatch orders.

Worryingly, the owners of Ozone Electronics have not yet been located by Watchdog, while the building the store was housed in is to be auctioned at the end of January and the official Ozone Electronics Web site has now shut down, leaving unhappy customers also facing the prospect of never receiving a refund.

Although credit card payments will be refunded - as credit card companies are considered equally as liable whenever a breach of contract such as this occurs - those having paid for their non-existent Wiis via debit card may not be granted a refund and will have to apply directly to their card issuer for further clarification.

Yeah I never order off smaller sites unless I do my research and find a ton of people who have shopped there and said good things about them on forums etc...

then again, if you use a decent credit and get scammed, there is no real loss or liability on your part... or maybe I am just care free. i think the christams thing sucked though

Yeah Total Scam, makes me wonder how can people be so careless? Whenever I order from online retailers I always use big name companies and I'm very wary of small time stores. The only time I'd trust the smaller shops stores would be if I was shopping there in person.

It sucks for the people that lost the cash.

I think its probably poor parents who have kids who still believe that Santa is the one that delivers Wiis and iPods... its a difficult position to be in.

"do you think Santa got my letter mummy?"

Its really sad that folk got burned with this scam.