Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

High Definition War

fex

Do i really have to go through my history and dig up sources for every point i made there? I'll tell you what, if you highlight which bits you think are untrue i'll go find the source.

Bull. Shit.

The difference between Blu-Ray and DVD/VHS etc is that Blu-Ray 2.0 was the original Blu-Ray spec. The BDA kept certain features out due to time/cost restraints so that they could compete with HD-DVD. The added bonus of this is that all current players are obsolete before they leave the shelves.

With DVD it was years before dual layer DVDs came out, years before DTS and years before HDMI. It wasn't technologically possible to implement these changes when DVD first came out (1997). Same goes for VHS with stereo sound etc. They were all upgrades, they improved the format and were quite a few years apart.

And as for consumers being told, how exactly? A little bit of writing in the back on the manual, some small print on the underside of the box or a line of text on a web page aren't enough to excuse the manufacturers of blame. If they truly wanted consumers to know what they were buying then they would have put a nice big sticker on the front.

Don't get me wrong, im not surprised they didn't put a sticker on the front. After all, that would have lost them sales and quite possibly some market share to HD-DVD. Much easier to manipulate consumer stupidity and then blame it on those very same consumers.

I really take you're opinion with a pinch of salt anyway. If you did some research for a change i might start to take you seriously, at the moment though you just come across as a fanboy. If you'd actually taken 5 minutes to read up on the matter you'd know that 1.0 players cannot be upgraded to 1.1 because of the hardware requirement. Blu Ray 1.1 requires a minimum of 256MB local video storage, a secondary video decoder and a secondary audio decoder. On top of that 2.0 requires 1GB of local video storage and an Ethernet port. These are all hardware components, they cannot be added in at a later stage.

No one cares. The point is you put in the Blu ray disk and it will play. Also buy a PS3 if you want the best. Not tomention it does other things that are really good.

One part of it. BD+ (used on newer discs) remains non-breakable.

Its only a matter of time :p

It just lacks the games to warrant a £300 spend at the moment.

PS3 owners would disagree more than strongly to that bullcrap. If anything the Wii is deserted in comparison besides afew good nintendo games. Unless you like stuff along the lines Barbie Pony Riding Stories.

This video is stupid but really funny. Been making the rounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=friS4OOcdgQ

Very well done.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one cares. The point is you put in the Blu ray disk and it will play. Also buy a PS3 if you want the best. Not tomention it does other things that are really good.

Stop talking about the PS3. The PS3 isn't the only player on the market. Yes, it's superior, but still, people who didn't pay for the games machine want a little box on their TV's (or below). And those boxes are being screwed over.

Just accept that it's not right what SOny is doing with the new standard. I'm not saying it's going to affect the market - the percentage of stand-alone players is pretty low and the market itself is pretty small at the moment, too - but it's still something that's crippled.

Let's see how iTunes Movie Rentals work out before we define BluRay or HD-DVD the winner.

Stop talking about the PS3. The PS3 isn't the only player on the market. Yes, it's superior, but still, people who didn't pay for the games machine want a little box on their TV's (or below). And those boxes are being screwed over.

Just accept that it's not right what SOny is doing with the new standard. I'm not saying it's going to affect the market - the percentage of stand-alone players is pretty low and the market itself is pretty small at the moment, too - but it's still something that's crippled.

As people keep saying. PS3 dwarfs the other players sales wise. Dont buy other players. These new profiles are minor reasons to get a PS3 on their own.

Let's see how iTunes Movie Rentals work out before we define BluRay or HD-DVD the winner.

So you are suggesting HDDVD has a chance to win over Blu Ray? :indeed: Itunes and other rental services arent really competing with Blu Ray or DVD. Ownership is still very big for movies and people mostly watch on TV rather than their Ipod.

No one cares. The point is you put in the Blu ray disk and it will play.

Is that you're idea of a retort?

Im not talking about the mass market here. Most of them couldn't give a shit about BD, never mind how the players function. Within the current Blu Ray market though there is quite a lot of people who care.

The enthusiast market on the other hand are not happy. Old players don't support new features, load really slowly and will only keep loading slower as BD-J is relied on more and more. Many of them would use a PS3, but it's a crappy option if you happen to use analogue sound equipment.

Then there's the concerns over remote DRM, and disks requiring validation via the internet. There's also a high likely hood of another BD update (3.0?) that makes WiFi a requirement and further increases the minimum spec of the machines.

The real battle begins now. Will Blu Ray's picture and sound quality outshine it's stupid load times (typical between 90 and 120 seconds) and DRM? Or will DVD continue to live on?

Is that you're idea of a retort?

Im not talking about the mass market here. Most of them couldn't give a shit about BD, never mind how the players function. Within the current Blu Ray market though there is quite a lot of people who care.

The enthusiast market on the other hand are not happy. Old players don't support new features, load really slowly and will only keep loading slower as BD-J is relied on more and more. Many of them would use a PS3, but it's a crappy option if you happen to use analogue sound equipment.

Then there's the concerns over remote DRM, and disks requiring validation via the internet. There's also a high likely hood of another BD update (3.0?) that makes WiFi a requirement and further increases the minimum spec of the machines.

OMG DRM lets all cry... :indeed: Lets pretend people;e new tv arent HD etc.

The real battle begins now. Will Blu Ray's picture and sound quality outshine it's stupid load times (typical between 90 and 120 seconds) and DRM? Or will DVD continue to live on?

You might want to research that. Its instant on PS3.

Wow is this still going?

Lol Still can't believe people think the PS3 has no good games yet, that's just fucking stupid. It probably has as many good ones as the Wii now, if not more. Just the Wii has Mario Galaxy, which is like awesome! :D

I'm not much of an audiophile, so I'm not sure what you mean by connections? I mean I've heard some games are starting to do 7.1, surely the PS3 and Xbox 360 can still do those with the speakers on the market? O_o

Ignore it, some tit told me that the PS3 doesn't have Optical and as it turns out it does.

Didn't check til just now cause i made that post from my mobile phone :blush:

Anyhow, this is going round in circles a bit so i guess it's time to die *locked*

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!