NEurope
bmoose

Gaming Cartoon - Episode One 'AnniversiWii'

Super Turbo Gaming Deluxe: Episode One 'AnniversiWii' (Newgrounds Link)

Episode One (Stage6 Link) [HQ]

Me and a few friends have started making an online gaming cartoon which will focus on up to date games news and events. The first episode in the series has just been released and we would really appreciate any feedback that you can offer.

'In this episode the three flatmates Ben, Matt and Lewis look back on a year of UK Wii gaming and what living with Mario and Link is really like.'

I'm going to be honest: it's good. Enough. What you miss is a more interesting sound track (there's too much talking with no background noise or sound). Try to find a recurring tune for every time you zoom into the appartment. Speed up the animation a little (everything is moving a tad to slow) and make you jokes faster en more to-the-point (by wich I don't mean 'change them', I actually mean, make them get to the point a little faster). The animation is 'nice' (although it's sad that some things are drown very detailed and others are just basic shapes) - try to get some consistency in the visual appearance of characters and decide to make you background fit in with the characters (and the other way around). If you wantg to make it look crap (wich isn't always bad), do so - but do'nt mix up crap with kind-of nice art (like realistic link and the guy in blue).

But if you keep this up, speed up the talking scenes and get a decent sound-track behind it, you'll probably make a pretty succesfull cartoon if you want to.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

To Jasper:

I completely agree with your comments Jasper and one of the main things I wanted was some incidental music in those exterior shots and in the background of scenes. However, we started the project far too late and so had to work extremely fast to release it anywhere near the deadline. Unfortuneately this meant that the music had to be excluded for now.

Expect the next episode to have more polish to it. As for the drawing differences, it was because two of us did the artwork and we each have a different style which can be a bit of a distraction. We just wanted, for this episode at least, to get the characters all done and a more distinct style will be used in the future.

To ReZourceman:

It probably took about 70-80 hours altogether, not including the script. 42 hours were done in the space of 4 consecutive days around the time of the deadline. Its not too bad a timescale for a flash cartoon, which is good as we hope to eventually make the episodes frequently to keep up with current gaming events. That is if they keep people entertained.

Anyone got any other comments on what they liked/ didn't like or even things you would like to see in future episodes?

Hello, I was one of the creators of this cartoon and also want to say thanks for all the feedback. Someone one Newgrounds complained about it being too long but I seemed to think it was just the right length by straying away from being too long and at the time no being too short.

i thought that was halarious. the humor was very family guyish... i mean when family guy was good. the animation was a lil lacking, but i know animation is hard so i won't give you crap about that. anyway keep it up man :D

That's really brilliant, I really laughed at some parts. The 2p MGS exclaimation mark bit was great. :heh: Keep it up, you need to do more. :D

Anyone got any other comments on what they liked/ didn't like or even things you would like to see in future episodes?

The last joke of the episode needed to be funnier, to give it more of a kick into the credits, but like I said before Im massively impressed.

PS Check out Balls. ;)

:heh:

I thought it was very good. The style kept in line with what flash is good at. Strong contoured lines with an almost 90's tv show look (think Daria, Beavis and Butthead). I take it you're perhaps using a library of movie files for mouth movements/jaws? If not it's perhaps a quicker way to get mouth movement done. But what's there is very good.

The atmospehre was a little lacking at times yet as a flash user I understand the time issues surrounding this. The audio compression seemed good with only the timings out a little. Oh and the length was perhaps a little too long for a webisode.

I would perhaps offer a downloadable version in mpeg/avi (and I know it kind of goes against flash) but it's a great alternative and you only want more people to get your material afterall.

Shorter episodes are better as loading is quicker and more people are willing to stick the download out. Concentrate on a minute or two and keep the jokes coming thick and fast. When you've got the interest THEN start with the longer episodes.

Viewers will then be more likely to stick with the characters they have grown to like.

Other than those few tips I would say it was an excellent start. If you need any help let me know. I'd be more than willing to help out with any original audio work. :)

To Tellyn:

The coin idea was a last minute idea, we needed a distraction and the coin was the best idea we had

To ReZourceman:

In future episodes I think we will try to do faster jokes, although we did really like the 8 bit Mario scenes and the Link one at the end. It could have been my voice that was the problem about the delivering the final line, we probably won't upload the same episode yet again though.

To tapedeck:

For the mouth movement we drew 6 images of a mouth in different positions and synced them with the dialogue, which took us ages to do.

To be honest we thought it was a bit short at times as we where originally going to have the episode about 10 minutes long, good thing we went with 5 to 6 minutes instead. The next episode will most likely be a lot shorter.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

To Tapedeck

Yeh we did the mouth movements the way you said, it seems to be the most efficient method. I was going to ask though, do you know a decent way of exporting to MPEG/AVI as we have used Actionscript and it doesnt read it when exporting to any other format but SWF. I am thinking a screen capture program maybe the best bet but thought you may know another way. In terms of helping out with audio, do you mean voice acting or music/sound effects?

We are now generating ideas for the next episode but can't start production until about February due to working on other projects. If people have anything they would like to see in the series or even do a voice for a character then just tell us.

By the way, we posted a completely unrelated submission to Newgrounds yesterday as well. Its got swords and dragons!

Genuine Authentic Japanese Sword

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

To Tapedeck

Yeh we did the mouth movements the way you said, it seems to be the most efficient method. I was going to ask though, do you know a decent way of exporting to MPEG/AVI as we have used Actionscript and it doesnt read it when exporting to any other format but SWF. I am thinking a screen capture program maybe the best bet but thought you may know another way. In terms of helping out with audio, do you mean voice acting or music/sound effects?

We are now generating ideas for the next episode but can't start production until about February due to working on other projects. If people have anything they would like to see in the series or even do a voice for a character then just tell us.

By the way, we posted a completely unrelated submission to Newgrounds yesterday as well. Its got swords and dragons!

Genuine Authentic Japanese Sword

Good to hear it. I really did enjoy it, and eagerly await the next episode.

Dont go stealing my voice actors though. :heh::bowdown:

Originally Posted by ReZourceman

Dont go stealing my voice actors though

Don't worry, we will just 'borrow' them. :smile:

For those people who can't watch the video on Newgrounds for whatever reason there are newly uploaded versions on Youtube and in high quality on Stage 6.

Stage6 Link

All the links to this episode and future ones can be found on the Royal Toaster website.

Royal Toaster website

Finally, we uploaded a trailer for our next flash animation that we have been working on for months and is nearing completion so if you have some time check that out also at.

Pariomortis Trailer

To Tapedeck

If you're only using actionscript for maybe PLAY/PAUSE/STOP buttons I would just ditch them. What actionscript are you using? I'd think of various ways but I have flu!

Anyhoo, I play music/ do audio work and if I get round to it I'll send you a couple of samples of background work. I'm not promising anything at the moment though as I'm up flu creak with no paddle in sight.

Yeah I think the little references to gaming culture are great. The 2p coin bit still makes me laugh.