NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Have Nintendo Made Amends?

I was browsing through a topic earlier, and somebody said something along the lines of "Thank you Nintendo, for making up for the Gamecube"

I thought that deserved a thread on it's own.

Have Nintendo made amends for last generation?

Have they learned from their mistakes?

Are they taking a step in the right direction?

And, finally, was their ever anything to make amends for in the first place?

Those are the questions I consider you to think about.

Discuss. I'll post my views later.

I don't think they need to make amends for the GameCube, nothing was wrong with it. It didn't deserve to be beaten by PS2 (and Xbox which had a really poor selection of games). But yeah, the Wii's doing a lot better, and I'm finding I am enjoying the games more than last gen.

If I just look at how I recieved the Gamecube compared to how things are going with the Wii, I think they've gone downhill. I'm only using myself as an example, but I got my Gamecube with three launch titles and in a year had acquired half a dozen more. I have had my Wii for a year and only bought Zelda and Metroid Prime 3, there's nothing else I care about (although obviously Mario Galaxy is on my birthday list).

For me, yes, but that's more just how I've grown up since the GameCube days and the times when I could play Socom 2 online for 6 hours every night are long gone. I've seen my free time cut dramatically, and the Wii's approach to gaming has sort of co-alined perfectly with my demands and needs changing.

So for me, they're definitely making amends. Last generation I had both a PS2 and GameCube, but eventually sold the GameCube simply because I only played Socom. If I was at that age again in that position, I'm pretty sure I'd choose the 360 over the Wii, but alas times have changed.

I find it hard to complain about a lack of games. While it's not been a huge glut of games, simply due to having a lack of time I've yet to purchase Metroid Prime 3 and Guitar Hero III, and that's not to say there are other games I'd like to play. Hell, I'd never played RE4 on the Gamecube OR PS2, and it's taken me about 5 months since launch to get around to buying it.

So I guess it depends on your situation, I can imagine the Wii being pretty sucky if you're playing video games for 3 or 4 hours every night, and perhaps have a limited budget to how many you can buy. For me though, it's been pretty awesome thus far, and probably has too many games I want in the upcoming months then I can ever hope to play.

Not in my eyes, because they've changed completely. They ahven't managed to become great from the old formula, they've aimed at a completely different market and become succesful with them.

I don't think they need to make amends for the GameCube, nothing was wrong with it. It didn't deserve to be beaten by PS2 (and Xbox which had a really poor selection of games). But yeah, the Wii's doing a lot better, and I'm finding I am enjoying the games more than last gen.

It sure as hell did.

Sony got out to the market way ahead of the worthwhile competition (no offense Dreamcast) and got the exclusives that the masses cared about; San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 2, Dragon Quest etc.

Then there's the fact that the PS2 and it's games were very well marketed, it offered CD and DVD playback for a very affordable price by the time the competition arrived (£199 Christmas 2002) and the online service, while a bit shit compared to Live at the time, was at least there if you wanted it.

While I personally loved the Gamecube it sure as hell didn't deserve to win when there were so many more quality titles on the PS2.

Although no, Nintendo doesn't have to make amends for the Gamecube, it was a perfectly satisfactory console for a gamer like me at the time, as for the Wii..... lol...

And if you're having more fun on the Wii than you did on the GC then you didn't buy the right games.

text

I'm not saying it out of fanboyism, I got myself a PS2 and games earlier this year, and I really don't think it did anything special. And you're probably right about not buying the right games on GameCube, I hardly owned any, I didn't get money so just Xmas presents.

They've certainly made amends to their stockholders.

And by default, the Wii is Nintendo's best console ever since it is all of them in one. But as always, a console is only as good as its library and in that respect, the Wii (for now) is basically 'the PS2 that plays Mario Galaxy'

I'm not saying it out of fanboyism, I got myself a PS2 and games earlier this year, and I really don't think it did anything special. And you're probably right about not buying the right games on GameCube, I hardly owned any, I didn't get money so just Xmas presents.

Then you didn't buy any of the right PS2 games either.

Get Shadow of the Colossus and Silent Hill 2, they're two pretty unique games and personally I think they're fantastic (although some may beg to differ with SH2).

There's lots of gems on the PS2 that suit everyone's tastes.

They've certainly made amends to their stockholders.

And by default, the Wii is Nintendo's best console ever since it is all of them in one. But as always, a console is only as good as its library and in that respect, the Wii (for now) is basically 'the PS2 that plays Mario Galaxy'

Hmm, McMad just basically said the PS2 had a good selection of games, so now I'm confused in what sense you mean that the Wii is a "PS2 that plays Mario Galaxy."

Do you mean it's a good console with an already good selection of games, with another great one added to the list?

Is that what you meant?

they need to make amends for twighlight princess!

to be honest i think the standard of nintendo games has gone downhill since the n64... those were the glory days

Hmm, McMad just basically said the PS2 had a good selection of games, so now I'm confused in what sense you mean that the Wii is a "PS2 that plays Mario Galaxy."

Do you mean it's a good console with an already good selection of games, with another great one added to the list?

Is that what you meant?

Im saying that when developers decide where to spread their resources between the many many platforms, the Wii usually gets lumped together with the PS2/PSP. I dont think i need to cite any of the dozens of examples of this.

As i mentioned before, its still Nintendo's best console ever, for what its worth

Im saying that when developers decide where to spread their resources between the many many platforms, the Wii usually gets lumped together with the PS2/PSP. I dont think i need to cite any of the dozens of examples of this.

As i mentioned before, its still Nintendo's best console ever, for what its worth

Ah, ok. There were many different ways to interpret that sentence, so I wasn't quite sure what you meant. :)

I think what Nintendo is trying to do is create a balance of traditional and non-tradition games.

However, this is going to take a long time.

They are going after all sorts of people, one by one.

If the DS is any indication of what we might expect wii to become eventually, then i'm looking very forward to the future of Wii.

I'm actually thinking of selling my Wii on ebay, since they sell for more than the retail price on there, and buying a PS3, and then rebuy the Wii, in a year or two.

I wasn't disappointed with the Gamecube, so there's nothing to make amends for as far as I'm concerned.

I think the Gamecube is the stronger of the two, but since it has come and gone, and the Wii is still a very young platform, that's not a fair comparison. But, comparing the first twelve months of both consoles, I think the Wii has had the better start.

Nintendo haven't really learnt from their GC mistakes. They've basically gone 'well we keep getting owned so we'll just go our own way'. Yes, they're selling more, but games have more potential on 360/PS3.

Wii does have great games, BUT if you exclude ports you are left with few epic games. Also, if most games ran on a GC they wouldn't be too different (except controls obv).

I think i get what Pit means, getting ports of crappy PS2 games basically.

Effectively yeah. :(

*didn't read other posts in this topic*

I wasn't aware Nintendo had anything to make amends for.

Not in my eyes, because they've changed completely. They haven't managed to become great from the old formula, they've aimed at a completely different market and become successful with them.

Quoted as this is pretty much what I was going to say.

I enjoyed the Gamecube thoroughly and i am equally enjoying the Wii. I think the Wii has had a great 1st year and i think gaming was going a little stale with the next generation offering only HD graphics.

A Nintendo console is always worth it for the Nintendo exclusives, anything else is a bonus.

Oh by the way i do own a ps1, ps2 and after xmas an xbox360

Not in my eyes, because they've changed completely. They ahven't managed to become great from the old formula, they've aimed at a completely different market and become succesful with them.

I agree with Ash on this one.

One thing that needed to change this generation is Nintendos attitude to online gaming and that just hasnt happened but then again they are going after a different market altogether now.

Also they need to get it out of their heads that they think they know what gamers want. I remember Iwata saying ages ago that gamers dont want online games and I think its blatantly obvious that they do. Fast forward to now and they are doing it again saying that us Wii peeps dont want or even need a hard drive when again its obvious that we both want and need it.

Despite this I still love my Wii :)

I don't think the game cube was a mistake. Most of my favorite games of all time are on the cube. There were just too many sony/microsoft fanboys, who thought the game cube looked like a toy or something and started the rumor that it was for kids.

I don't see how anyone could say they've changed completely when they're still making the Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc. games. :confused:

It may be the simpler stuff like Wii Sports and the upcoming Wii Fit that's selling the console the most, but as a 'veteran gamer' I don't feel left wanting for games that suit my taste ...well, no more than usual that is. :laughing:

Sign in to follow this