N-Europe

Best TV for Metroid and Mario?

dazzybee

I'm wanting to buy a tele because I really want to appreciate the games in their full 460p glory!!!

So, any ideas on whattele really works for the Wii as Ive heard some teles are better than others. My local panasonic shop has a half price sale on last years model (42" for £750), was thinking of this as a bit of a bargain but thought I'd check with you guys first for some advice.

Deep Blue would look great on that TV. You could imagine you were looking out a porthole.

£750 would get you a decent Panasonic LCD or Plasma TV - I would go with that.

Cookyman, I also have a Samsung HDTV - how do you access this game mode of which you speak?

Deep Blue would look great on that TV. You could imagine you were looking out a porthole.

£750 would get you a decent Panasonic LCD or Plasma TV - I would go with that.

Cookyman, I also have a Samsung HDTV - how do you access this game mode of which you speak?

Hit the source button on your remote until you get game mode - you'll need component cables to use it.

If you still can't get it - check the instruction manual.

What they said about Game Mode:

The Game mode enhances dark areas, sharpens the picture, speeds up the image processing response, and enhances the sounds of your games.

Game Mode is among the settings menu just press the menu button and navigate down till you find the Setup menu. Most people use "Movie mode" though because they didn't like the look of Game mode.

Both modes have Dynamic dimming and contrast disabled by default.

I still haven't seen my Samsung's 'game mode'...

I can highly recommend my set. Samsung L32R87BDX.

Have had the same set for a year and a half. Used Game Mode since i got it. but....

What they said about Game Mode:

The Game mode enhances dark areas, sharpens the picture, speeds up the image processing response, and enhances the sounds of your games.

Game Mode is among the settings menu just press the menu button and navigate down till you find the Setup menu. Most people use "Movie mode" though because they didn't like the look of Game mode.

Both modes have Dynamic dimming and contrast disabled by default.

Having just seen my mate's new panasonic 32" lcd without this mode, i was amazed at how vibrant everything looked (quite apart from the sexy Viera engine's effects). I came home and turned off game mode, and i think it looks much better without. Its just a personal opinion, but i think some games really benefit from having it switched off.

I dont believe Game mode improves the picture in any way. My impression was that to reduce lag etc, it did less to the image.

Seriously, i don;t think it makes a big difference. Most HDTV will upscale Wii, but it won't be 'HD', just clearer and shaper perhaps. Its an improvement, but i'd put my money in a surround sound system - ideally ProLogic 2 for Wii - and invest in a good sub too. This is where you're going to find the biggest improvement to Wii. I have a sub hooked up since Cube days - and Metroid Prime 1, RE4, F Zero, Eternal Darkess, Twilight Princess sound absolutely delightful. To be fair, a quick look at Argos and you'll find a cheap sorround stsyem for £30 - its certainly jnot top of the range, but will be an vast improvement over stereo (which you'd get inbuilt with most TVs).

Eg: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5132296/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500006565.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D1500006592.Home%2Baudio%3EC%24cip%3D1500006597.Home%2Bcinema%2Bspeaker%2Bsystems.htm

Do NOT buy Samsung TVs, especially the kind 360s are commonly displayed on in demo booths. I used to work for EA as a tester and we had only two kinds of HDs, Samsungs and Sharps. Gamecube and Wii always looked like complete shit on the Samsung, but on my Sharp at home it looks brilliant.

Get Sharp!

I will say that my Sharp doesn't support component cables very well (it has a VGA port and comes with an adapter so you can't have sound). But the TVs de-interlacer more than makes up for it. Just get an RGB cable and set the Wii to 576i, it deinterlaces it and makes it look like 576p which is a pretty big improvement over 480p.

Gamecube and Wii always looked like complete shit on the Samsung, but on my Sharp at home it looks brilliant.

Get Sharp!

I will say that my Sharp doesn't support component cables very well (it has a VGA port and comes with an adapter so you can't have sound). But the TVs de-interlacer more than makes up for it. Just get an RGB cable and set the Wii to 576i, it deinterlaces it and makes it look like 576p which is a pretty big improvement over 480p.

Ive seen a few new panasonics (as well as my mate's) and the fluidity of the image is breathtaking when compared to other LCDs. A person used to a CRT might not notice the difference, but compared to other LCDs its great.

My samsung looks great with the wii using component cables. I can't find a reason to complain using the components. The de-interlacer isnt the best on the samsung, but why use the cheaper (non-component) cables if you just shelled out hundreds on a TV? Especially so considering the superior image quality carried by component.

I would avoid 576i like the plague. 480p-coded-games-outputted-at-576i suffers by being interlaced and displayed (mostly) at 50hz, also... 576 doesnt carry any more lines of infomation than 480 (its all scaled). Therefore the choice is one between component cables (that carry visual information in dedicated cables with greater fidelity, in progressive scan at 6ohz) or others (which carry the same resolution at a lower quality crammed into less cabling at 50hz interlaced). Not a very difficult choice to make.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going with a 42" Panasonic veira, picking up some component cables tomorrow and not playing prim till I'm all set up. Also going to go with a surround set too!

The comedy is that my room is pretty small, its going to be like a cinem in there :) I may take a picture to show the pure comedy of what it will look like in there! Cant wait though!

PS Could anyone recomend me the best, cheap surround sound kit for the Wii. Thanks for the recomendation redge but wondered if there were any other bargains out there, if not I'll go with your suggestion.

For Wii surround, you actually need a decoder to fully get the analogue surround sound experience it offers. You should probably look for a home cinema set (nearly all come with the Dolby Pro Logic II decoder you need), and they cost a bit more than surround systems. Going for a cheap one from the big brands here is pretty vital, most unknown brands I've heard are quite terrible.

I think 42 inches is way too big for any Wii titles unless you're sitting like 15 feet away from the TV. I recently tried out multiple Wii titles on my friend's 32" Panasonic Viera and they were still good looking despite him not yet having the component cables (he's a 360 man). What I did think though was that this was seriously obviously the limit before pixelation was too apparent. At the viewing distance I was playing at (around 8 feet away) it wasn't all too noticible but ANY closer and the picture just blatantly got significantly worse.

I seriously don't think any Wii owner who considers the visual quality of their games important should go above 32" for an HDTV. Even if you own a 360/PS3 as well, if you want those systems to look great while still retaining good visuals on the Wii then you really have to strike a balance out. 32 inches is the perfect middle ground in my opinion and is exactly the size I'll be going for when I make a purchase early next year.

Anyway in other words, there's absolutely no way in hell a 42" TV is ever going to be "the best TV" for a Wii game, no matter what model, what manufacturer and what fancy cables you're using.

He has a point ^, Wii games are in a resolution of 852x480, upping the size isn't really better, and it could have you start counting pixels. 32" should be plenty, and should give you plenty of budget for a great speaker system/home cinema set. Unless you're planning to do real HD stuff with it, I'd say 42" is a bit of overkill.

Hell 42" is almost overkill for a 360 really too. From what I'm aware I think that's the point really where the difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p begins to get a good deal more noticible, so you wont really be getting the best out of games unless they're all full HD 1080p compatible.

Also at that point regular non-HD TV viewing is going to look like fucking ass as well.

Too late, bought the tele and a shit hot sound system and the teles great - Super Paper Mario and Metroid look amazing!

As for the sound system I need some more advice - the (useless) guy in the shop didnt tell me you didnt get a HDMI cable so I dont have one, anyway the Wii component cables are AWFULLY designed you cant split the audio cables enough to put directly into the DVD player. Now Im hoping if i put a HDMI cable the Wii will go through the surround sound, it doesnt with a Scart. Does anyone know if it DOES? I'm a bit worried that I need to go directly into the DVD player. If so why the fudge would Nintendo not let their component cables split!?!?

I dont really :)

I didnt mean the Wii HDMI cable.

Right, I have the Wii component cable.

My home cinema kit with DVD player connects to the TV with a HDMI cable.

My Wii component cable cant split its audio (red and white) directly into the DVD player (which the 5.1 is wired to) as theres a stupid plastic bit (though i can get extenders if needed).

What I am asking is, is anyone else here got a similar set up and what are the doing? And also, if my wii is connected to the TV via component and the TV is conncted to the DVD player and accompanying sound system via HDMI, will the wii output its sound through the amazing sound system or still through the tele?

And basically what is th best way of setting the whole thing up :)

Well, you must understand that when the Wii is connected to the DVD player then it won't matter what connects your DVD to the TV, as for the Wii the only importance is its (video) connection to the TV and its (audio) connection to the DVD/decoder. You could even completely unplug the TV<>DVD connection and it'll work fine. HDMI is the best quality you can get for watching DVDs though.

Seems to me you just need some RCA extenders like you said. Make sure you get short (as short as possible) and thick cables as long, thin cables may affect sound quality. Then the decoder in the DVD player will decode the Dolby Pro Logic II signal, and it'll output surround sound.

I hope that helps :smile: