N-Europe

Need help with laptop

Tales

I'm sorry if you are too bothered by these topics.

I'm going to buy myself a laptop when I get paid next month.

It must cost more than around 8000 NOK/ 666 GPB(coincidence :P)

It doesn't need to be state of the art technology, but not a musuem antique either. It will mainly be used to surf and watch videos on Youtube and Gametrailers. Maybe download a tv-series a few times. 160 GB hard drive seems to be pretty much the standard these days, I think? Touch pad, but I guess everyone has one. It must not be an Acer. I don't care how good it is, I don't want one. It must have an sd card slot. I looked through various laptops a few weeks ago, and I couldn't find anyone with it. It is really that rare or did I just read the information wrong?

Also, if there are any antivirus programs and such I should download asap, I would be happy if you can give me links for them now.

I'm not going to order from an GP site, so you can give me the name only. Thank you very much.

Well with some laptops you are looking at an hour but the best I've seen around top out at about 2-2.5 hours. Also I wanted to know if you are all that bothered about the screen size?

And for another question how do you feel about having to use an external card reader?

Anyway I found a good deal that fits your requirements except the hard drive is coming up 40 gig short. I don't know if you can find a similar deal that will ship to where you are but have a look anyway.

Sony VAIO N38E/W 15.4" Laptop

I prefer external card readers because I have SD cards for my camera, micro-SD cards and Sony Memory sticks for my phones and it is portable. So if a friend doesn't have a certain slot I just take the card reader with me.

For the notebook questions:

The one from Tesco sounds nice but 1GB RAM and Intel onboard GPU don't sound too good if you will stay with Vista. I can't give you any decent links because I don't know about availability in Norway but I personally prefer Fujitsu Siemens notebooks.

I had 3 so far which have been very cheap in price but come with a truckload of power compared to other brands. Also warranty is pretty good - so far I needed one repair in 4 years which was a fan that got old and stopped doing its work properly within a day my notebook got picked up and 5 days later I got it back fully repaired.

For Vista I would recommend:

2GB RAM

CPU seems fine as long as its Core Duo or Core 2 Duo

Nvidia 7/8xxx Go GPU

Depending on how much more you are willing to spend I think there are so many cool possibilities to enhance your notebook:

- new WLAN draft (with 300mbit/s)

- flash drives for faster booting/loading

Also I would take a look on message boards and stuff to check wether that laptop you want works with Linux - even though you might not want to use it now the time might come :)

The laptop will probably be in my room at all times so battery life is not an issue for now. I don't know about next year when continue with school. Screen size is not important. If external card reader is something that is not included, then I'm not interested. The SD card is solely to be used for the Wii.

system error: Going for Vista so thanks for the tips. Notebook=laptop?

The laptop will probably be in my room at all times so battery life is not an issue for now. I don't know about next year when continue with school. Screen size is not important. If external card reader is something that is not included, then I'm not interested. The SD card is solely to be used for the Wii.

system error: Going for Vista so thanks for the tips. Notebook=laptop?

Yeah notebook = laptop ... I can't remember which is correct word in english hehe - I mostly use both :)

So if you use Vista - do you have any software/games that you are really dependent on, because if so I would check in advance if it works. Most newer stuff just works fine but some older software has issues. I have a modem driver from 2003 which doesn't work at all.