N-Europe

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

UziT

And people keep expecting 1:1 sword fighting, when it's technically impossible, hard to do something close and would make gameplay a living hell. More at 11.

Also, don't really care about duel mode, want to see if the main mode holds up.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thought it looked pretty good? Why do you think it looked rubbish, because there is only set swings for moves? If so then we've known that for ages!!
I too think it looks pretty good. I suspect that everyone has been putting on goggles, and filling them with cotton wool and milk.

And people keep expecting 1:1 sword fighting, when it's technically impossible, hard to do something close and would make gameplay a living hell. More at 11.

Also, don't really care about duel mode, want to see if the main mode holds up.

Didn't Miyamoto mention it could be done or close to it or something and was working on a sword game at some point?

Can't remember :heh:

Didn't Miyamoto mention it could be done or close to it or something and was working on a sword game at some point?

Can't remember :heh:

I'm pretty sure that he was referring to them having a game in which the wiimote for controlling a sword, which they had in development. Turned out to be Zelda :)

It was Zelda? I thought it was after that in 2007 and he mentioned something close to 1:1 could be done.

I would look for it, but chances of me finding it are low :heh:

I'll live in the hope a good sword fighting game will be made. Was the first thought that ran through my head when I learned everything about the Wii-mote.

I had already seen that video some 3 or 4 days ago and I also thought it looked kinda lame... I expected better. But I also don't care about Duel Mode, I wanna know how is the Single Player Mode.

Lets not forget that you don't actually make contact with anything when you get blocked. IMO a 1:1 game should never be done on the Wii, apart from maybe in the case where they make a game that's so realistic that you could actually slice your own legs/head off by accident.

1:1 is possible if you analyse the input of the wii-mote and balance board. (or even a camera). the wii mote on its own is a Fail

Balance board? lol, no. A camera with advanced tracking, yes. Without the IR the wiimote can sense tilt and shake, well programmed, it's possible to make something somewhat similar to 1:1, but it would result in something that wouldn't be very playable as the wiimote would need to be in a pre-determined position when you began playing.

The thing is, there is no referencial without the IR, this would only be possible with a camera with advanced tracking system and it had to be really advanced if you wanted it to be well used in a lot of games, otherwise you'd need to play alone, dressed in white in a completly white room with no one in there and no furniture.

Lets not forget that you don't actually make contact with anything when you get blocked. IMO a 1:1 game should never be done on the Wii, apart from maybe in the case where they make a game that's so realistic that you could actually slice your own legs/head off by accident.

There was a PC game a long time ago, that featured 1:1 sword control with a mouse. I remember trying the demo of it, swinging the mouse around madly and chopping my own legs off. Was pretty funny at the time. Then I switched it to normal button controls and found out the game was pretty lame.

I'm off the opinion that 1:1 sword fighting shouldn't be done on Wii until they have force feedback powerful enough to stop you moving your hand mid swing. And to do that they'd need some pretty powerful feedback and also a stupidly heavy controller. I expect lawsuits to come flooding in, possibly even before it's launched.

EDIT:- And that PC game was Die By The Sword for anyone who was interested.

Yeah Steggy, but that wasn't 1:1, it's actually pretty close with what the Wii can do, easily done with the IR.

Tapedeck, yeah baseball was well done, but try batting vertically, he won't do it :P The bat followed the movements almost exactly before batting and to position the bat, but the actuall motion isn't the same.

Yeah Steggy, but that wasn't 1:1, it's actually pretty close with what the Wii can do, easily done with the IR.

Tapedeck, yeah baseball was well done, but try batting vertically, he won't do it :P The bat followed the movements almost exactly before batting and to position the bat, but the actuall motion isn't the same.

So easily done, that I found some vids of someone playing the game with a Wii-mote. One using the IR, the other using twisting motions.

Having seen the videos it makes me think that 1:1 sword fighting wouldn't be so bad, but I'm quite happy to stick with pre-set motions for now.

So easily done, that I found some vids of someone playing the game with a Wii-mote. One using the IR, the other using twisting motions.

Having seen the videos it makes me think that 1:1 sword fighting wouldn't be so bad, but I'm quite happy to stick with pre-set motions for now.

The problem is, that isn't 1:1 :P

1:1 could be cool, if you're not fighting against other swordmen or if you want completly skill-devoid battles. I want something in between, like lots of pre-set motions with very little lag.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Surprised to see this o far back. It's coming out in a couple of weeks; and I can't wait :) I've decided to go for the Wii version because a. I'm a sucker for motion controls and these are meant to be well implemented and b. From reading LOTS of playtests, the Wii version is spoke most favourably of

Feel a bit silly for originally being all cynical about the Wii version now. It looks amazing, the controls seem to be flawless and it has some awesomely advanced physics. It really deserves to do well.

However, the two flaws the game do make it something of a personal dealbreaker for me: the incredibly short lifespan (I've heard people completing it in under 6 hours), and the fact that it isn't at all helped by its reported impossibility to die, and lack of real punishment if you do so.

It's one of those games that I would snap up in seconds if someone was giving it away on a market for a fiver.