N-Europe

iTunes!

Caris

Ok i know what's wrong. But not how to fix it.

captureok7.jpg

Right look there, 4 of the same album covers but if you look below i've named them all the same so there should be one.

But look below the coverflow pictures, it doesnt say the best on Blondie it says Various Artists. This is what i was saying about iTunes being right but the folder being wrong.

how do i correct this? I've been playing about since 10 this morning...

I tried manually but it reset them...

Ok, try this:

1) Highlight all the Best of Blondie tracks, right click, Get Info

2) Delete the artist name, which should be Blondie. If there is nothing in that box, that means that the Artist name must be slightly different in several of the tracks. If it is empty, type in Blondie and press OK.

This should edit it so they all have the same artist name, so should all appear in the same folder.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Ah well, Shorty has sorted it a different way to me!

Okay last 2 things guys.

First of all in my Cover Flow i still many of some albums, i've checked get info and everything in there is exactly the same apart from what track it is but it wont be that. No spelling errors or anything.

Last of all now that i have been changing around names and everything i have alot of folders that lead to no where in my iTunes music folder. Is there anyway i can get them to auto delete if the folders don't lead to a actual file or anything?

Thanks yet again!

Well, iTunes won't delete it. It will only make files and folders, but not erase without asking you. That'll be a handjob, boy.

I'm not sure what your cover flow problem is, but does the problem occur when you arrange the cover flow by album? Because if the same album has multiple artists you could just be seeing them in artist mode, wich means the album is split across your iTunes.

And one more thing: individual files (like files you downloaded) that don't have an album set won't be combined into the same artist. So if you have four songs of say, EELS, and they all have nothing in their album information, he will show them sepratly. Just give all the songs one unifief album name (like 'Eels songs' or 'Just an album'). This will make them combine into one image instead of seperate images for each track.

He means how are you arranging the songs in your library (at the moment you've got them organised by artist).

If you click the bars that say "album" "artist", etc just below the cover flow then you arrange all the songs in different ways.

So if you arrange them by artist then any albums which have multiple artists (e.g. compilations or tracks featuring another artist) will show multiple times, once for each artist. Now if you arrange by album then you wont get this problem. If you keep clicking the artist button then you can set it to "album by artist" which may solve your problem.

If this doesn't help then this is where "album artist" in the info tab helps, because that allows you to say the whole album is by a certain artist (e.g. Aerosmith) but still keep individual songs with different artists (e.g. the track "Walk This Way" can have its artist set to "Aerosmith feat. Run DMC) and they should only have one cover on the cover flow.

So if you highlight all the tracks on the Blondie album and change "Album Artist" to Blondie the arrange the songs by "Album by Artist" then you should be set, I think!

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense!

iTunes can sync with devices can't it. I have an external HD that I switch between pc and laptop and I'm finding myself thinking "I want to listen to...." but its not on my laptop (and thus iPod), or in the case of when I purchase random songs I can't remember which I have imported and haven't.

Thus, is it possible so that iTunes automatically synchronises with an attached HD (and less likely...it just adds songs and doesn't get rid of them if I erase them off my HD...) Am I making sense?

(yeah, felt like hyjacking this thread :p)

Nope, iTunes only automatically updates your library if you manually add or ddelete files. iTunes will not detect any other hardware than iPods and CD's and therefore does not search for songs on an external HD.

However, if another iTunes library on another computer shares over a Wi-Fi network, you can listen (and only listen) to those songs, too. If you, however, want to listen to music on a not-always connected hard drive, you will have to import them to iTunes. These songs will stop working once you disconnect, and will not be deleted once they can't be found. They will have a nice exclamation mark next to it, though.

iTunes is not Windows Media Player in that sense. It does not detect nor play from devices other than iPods, Wi-Fi connections and CD's. However, if you connect someone else's iPod to iTunes, you will be able to just play music from it. If you do want to get those files in your lubrary, Windows' hidden folders will guide you the way to songs on the iPod, wich you can copy to hard disk.

No proitected AAC, though.

However, if another iTunes library on another computer shares over a Wi-Fi network, you can listen (and only listen) to those songs, too. If you, however, want to listen to music on a not-always connected hard drive, you will have to import them to iTunes. These songs will stop working once you disconnect, and will not be deleted once they can't be found. They will have a nice exclamation mark next to it, though.

Fair enough.

But the last point, not true. Or at least in my case. When I first got my Macbook I imported my music from my HD and now it has all been added to iTunes' library (and copied to the computer) and thus doesn't need the HD plugged in. Thankfully.

Fair enough.

But the last point, not true. Or at least in my case. When I first got my Macbook I imported my music from my HD and now it has all been added to iTunes' library (and copied to the computer) and thus doesn't need the HD plugged in. Thankfully.

So my point is true, because I said if you connected a HD and added the files to your library it won't find them if you disconnect the Hard Drive. If you iTunes, however, copies the files to your local hard disk, you don't need the HD plugged in. Because he's not using the files on a Hard Disk. But okay.

I was, however, referring to the fact that even if it's a disc full of music, iTunes won't add it like a device (wich would be nice if Apple could make that happen). You need to add the files manually from your Hard Disk and they'll be in your library (even if it doesn't copy them over to your local disk, making the files unfindable for iTunes once your HD is gone).

Another little problem i'll ask you guys about.

On iTnues i have album arts for most albums. However on my iPod the last 1/4 of my artists just have a black box for the artwork while on iTnues it's fine.

I have Sync'd it again and redownloaded the artwork.

Ideas?

Another little problem i'll ask you guys about.

On iTnues i have album arts for most albums. However on my iPod the last 1/4 of my artists just have a black box for the artwork while on iTnues it's fine.

I have Sync'd it again and redownloaded the artwork.

Ideas?

Now that shouldn't be there, actually. It should just work. Don't know what's wrong witgh it (probably the iTunes syncing process that makes mistakes). I have no ideas, but I think that that really shouldn't be that way.

I restored my iPod and Sync'd again and it's fine.

One last question and i think this will be it!

Album Artworks. Are the saved in the music folder or not? Cause in the music folder each artist folder has Artwork on it but there is a Album Artwork folder above the music folder so i'm just wondering what's what. it's just incase my computer needs wiped and i'm curious to see if when i copy my iTunes music Folder back in if it will bring the Artworks as well or not.

I restored my iPod and Sync'd again and it's fine.

One last question and i think this will be it!

Album Artworks. Are the saved in the music folder or not? Cause in the music folder each artist folder has Artwork on it but there is a Album Artwork folder above the music folder so i'm just wondering what's what. it's just incase my computer needs wiped and i'm curious to see if when i copy my iTunes music Folder back in if it will bring the Artworks as well or not.

iTunes saves your artwork in a proprietary format in the folder 'ALbum Artwork' in your main iTunes folder. But as far as I'm aware, they are inreadable once they're stored there and only iTunes can acces it. You can acces it, too, but navigating folders named only by numbers and finding files that have the extension .itc, it's quit pointless in my opinion. But everything iTunes is stored right there in the iTunes folder in your Music.