• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

Where do you work??

The Ultimate Guides, if they've remained mostly the same as they once were when first released were always entertaining, with a lot of info about places and objects not often given in the comics themselves. For instance, in the X-Men one, it shows you detailed layouts of the X-Mansion, how Cyclop's visor works etc. Things brushed over usually.

I always liked the Marvel Encyclopedia series, and then the big fat definitive one, of which DC had one too. Had basically EVERYONE in it.

TME000fcbZc.jpg&t=1

Finished reading Blackest Night again. This time it was just the main story, issues 0-8. When we were originally reading it as it came out I worried that it wouldnt make sense without the Green Lantern issues mixed in with it but its not that bad at all, you knew Hal was out finding members of other corps and then later he comes back with them. Also nice to see they included the directors commentary issue that was released in the HC as well.

Onto Spidey Ultimate Collection 4 now.

I just purchased volume 1 - 3 of 100 Bullets, due to always hearing good things about it, and having just been informed of the premise.

I've got the first two volumes, it's awesome stuff

the final shipping lists for next week have appeared on Midtown, Wolf-Man looks like it's on for next week, plus we have issue #76 of The Walking Dead! 3 issues of TWD since the last Invincible! I could get used to this fortnightly schedule!

went and bought myself some trades over the last couple of days, last volume of Sword, Gotham Central vol 1, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Demo.

The finale to Sword is outstanding, so well written.

Gotham Central is everything you would expect from Brubaker, Rucka and Lark, will definitely be investing in the rest of the series!

Crisis is everything an event book should be a great standalone story with (for the time) great artwork.

It is so good.

I read it all in a day and a night. So gripping. I couldn't have waited 2 years to read it all.

--

With the discovery of 100 euros in my room, I'm gonna not feel guilty about buying more graphic novels. :D I "accidentally" (as in, really shouldn't have) bought Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn Deluxe Edition the other day, and felt guilty about it, and so didn't buy Final Crisis. Now I can feel good about buying it! (TBF, B+R looks so stunning, and of course the content is brill, so it's fine.)

Messiah Complex is also in my digital basket, and I'm in the mood for Pixe Strikes Back! :p I've heard good things about Messiah Complex, and I'm trying to fill my X-Men comic holes.

How Iron Man 2 Ruined Jon Favreau's Relationship With Marvel

When word came down that Marvel was planning an Avengers movie which would bring all of their superhero franchises together in one place, a lot of people assumed Jon Favreau would be the top contender for the film’s directing job. After all, he started the modern Marvel craze with Iron Man and Favreau has sort of become the godfather of everything that happens in the Marvel movie universe. But somehow, he was never even considered and it wasn’t long before Favs moved on to Cowboys & Aliens. We never really knew why Favs wasn’t a contender for the Avengers job, at least until now.

According to one of our most reliable sources (this is the same source which first broke the news that Black Widow would be in Iron Man 2 and has given us numerous other confirmed scoops over the years) Favreau really wanted to direct The Avengers but Marvel didn’t want to pay for him. Their negotiations with Favreau to secure him as the director of Iron Man 2 were difficult and Favreau worked out a deal that got him paid more money. Marvel wasn’t willing to pay that kind of money again when it came time for The Avengers, and so even though Favs wanted to direct their superhero team-up movie, they didn’t want him. Instead Marvel has made it a point to seek out cheaper talent to direct all of their subsequent movies. Joss Whedon was hired to direct The Avengers and while he’s a mega-talented director he’s also a much cheaper hire than someone like Favreau.

It makes sense. If you’re making a movie like The Avengers, then to do it right you’ll end up spending a ton of money on special effects and talent. You have to cut costs somewhere and if you can do it while at the same time hiring incredibly talented people (like Whedon) then so much the better. But that doesn’t explain what happened to Iron Man 2.

If you’ve seen Iron Man 2 then you noticed that it wasn’t quite the movie we’d all hoped for. Actually it wasn’t very good. Part of the problem was the movie seemed wrapped around an odd, Avengers-focused, subplot which never really fit into the story. Jon Favreau may not have liked it any more than you or I do.

Our source says Iron Man 2 wasn’t the movie Jon Favreau wanted to make. Marvel interfered heavily with his work on the movie and turned the project into an infomercial for The Avengers. Favreau felt the movie was rushed into production (and if you followed the development process you know it was) and they pushed him into making it without a fully realized script. Iron Man 2 wasn’t the movie he wanted to make and because of that, if there’s an Iron Man 3, there’s every reason to think he won’t be back. Marvel doesn’t want to pay him and Favreau may not want to deal with more Marvel interference.

Favreau wasn’t the only one unhappy with Iron Man 2. Robert Downey Jr. saw those same problems and according to our source, “While he's locked for Iron Man 3, chances are, that will be his last movie.” In the meantime, Downey will get (and probably deserves) top billing in The Avengers.

While our source here is a proven commodity, as always with anything reported on the internet without official sanction, consider the above all rumor. Besides, there’s still plenty of time for Favreau and Marvel repair their relationship. Hopefully, before they start planning Iron Man 3, Marvel will have gotten around to playing kiss and make up with its Iron Man team.

Zavvi have given me a £1 online token (for a joke), and I've been scouring all night looking for a graphic novel that's cheaper there than anywhere else. They have the shittest listing for all the books they do have, which doesn't help, but really, I haven't found much. I might just buy a CD instead.

Messiah Complex is also in my digital basket, and I'm in the mood for Pixe Strikes Back! :p I've heard good things about Messiah Complex, and I'm trying to fill my X-Men comic holes.

I have Messiah Complex on it's way to me, along with Messiah War and Manifest Destiny, gonna wait for them and read them before Utopia.

Sold my old N95 phone to fund more trade buying, oh dear oh dear. Sword incoming.

Hopefully that'll be resolved at the end of this Daken crossover then. Siiigggghhhh. I wonder how they will actually manage the act.

----------

Right I must be missing something with Shadowland....why does everyone dislike it? Its pretty awesome apart from the odd patch of slightly dodgy dialogue. You folks read the Daredevil tie in too?

Hmmm. If true then Favreau's a bit silly. I'm sure he's not exactly poor, and theres plenty of people who'd direct The Avengers for free. Its a privilege.

What makes him a bit silly than to Marvel Studios and do you really think directors will make films for free?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!