Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

UK

Avengers #2 is awesome. JRJ is absolutely killing this book- he's on fire. There's a few pages later on especially where my jaw was on the floor. absolutely brilliant.

The plot is shaping up really nicely too. It's going to be a fun, fun arc from here on in, I think.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

While I'm a fan of his writing if only because it does often feel "real", I think it works better in more concise works like Ultimate Spider-Man, where the focus isn't as split. Even in Dark Avengers it works better.

I do agree that it works better with different comics. USM is about teenagers so it makes sense, Dark Avengers was criminals and psychopaths so of course they would talk over eachother. Things like Avengers though it just doesnt work, especially in the middle of a battle or when they are talking about something important.

I think the style itself is fine. No one speaks like in comics or movies etc. His style is conciously more "realistic" in terms of how human beings actually interact, but I think there's so many "big" characters in Avengers that it sort of comes in short bursts or somes across as snarky. Not sure if that's explains how I feel, but eh.

*nervously pokes head in thread*

So uh..Scott Pilgrim anyone? Having just been introduced to it via the wonders of Twitter I was wondering if anyone had read the comics, and if so could recommend them. Also if anyone knows of a good retailer to grab them from, that too would be awesome.

Then again I expect this post to be completely disregarded in favour of hardcore Marvel comics. :heh:

I don't think you need to worry there, Scott Pilgrim is an awesome comic. There's 5 volumes available at the moment and you can probably get them fairly cheap from amazon.co.uk and play.com

The final volume is out next month so the story will be finished before the movie comes out.

Part 2 of Grim Hunt = Simply Amazing (with pun)

I was hand over mouth most of the end.

Did not see that coming. Did not see THAT coming either. :blank:

---

Hulk 23 was decent. Effectively the issue where you find out everything you ever wanted to know about the Red Hulk but had to wait 2 years to find out.

Edited by Paj!

Grim Hunt 2 was mental. I loved that twist, followed by that ending. What on earth is going on? Brilliant.

I genuinely love the release schedule of ASM- I kind of wish other big franchises like X-Men sacrificed their sub titles in order to produce a similar forward momentum. Second Coming is a great argument for such a thing.

Yeah...if only because Second Coming so far seems to be taking place over the course of a day/a few hours. And the feeling of screaming and everyone running about not knowing what to do would be enhanced by a faster release pace.

You question where Calypso is in all this though. I'd be pissed off I was her; her entire bag since the 90's has been honouring Kraven/bringing him back, etc. I read an issue years ago where Alyosha "killed" her during/post sex, but she's a mistress of tricks.

*researches*

Turns out she is dead. I just assumed she always came back.

Critical_Mass_-_028_Calypso.jpg

Avenge me!

Im not actually reading Grim Hunt as ive mentioned but:

I hope they arent really bringing back Kraven. Kravens Last Hunt was a brilliant story and I loved where they left Kraven in it, he was content and felt he had done everything he needed to. The only way id accept it I guess is if Kraven isnt happy to be back at all and maybe even turns good

I actually totally agree Happenstance.

And I really REALLY hope that this arc is what reintroduces

Spideys "The Other" powers. It seems to be hinting it, with all the voodoo type shit.

And I think it would be Joe Kelly's professional nod to JMS, also they said that they would touch upon that at some point (and I didn't believe them) hopefully this is it and I'm wrong. :)

I was hand over mouth most of the end.

Did not see that coming. Did not see THAT coming either. :blank:

---

Hulk 23 was decent. Effectively the issue where you find out everything you ever wanted to know about the Red Hulk but had to wait 2 years to find out.

From the last page, it's pointing more towards Kaine being behind the mask (Don't you have any idea how special you are....Not until tonight, it was nice to see what it was like.) has to be Kaine.

Awesome either way though, and WWH was Awesome issue.

Thunderbolts was awesome. I love eet. I may actually start getting that on trade (from the Ellis run obviously). Then again I also intend to get more X-Factor.

Enjoyed Ultimate Avengers 2 as well. I love Leinel Yu's art too though, so that may explain why I want to cradle it. I like how Millar creates "new" characters within the Ultimate universe without them feeling kinda...like "NEW CHARACTER NOT IN THE 616 UNIVERSE!!!" like things in Ultimate X-Men often were. The new Black Widow, Red Wasp, The Spider etc. Joke twists on an established joke. And the "original" Hulk too.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!