• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

I feel after watching the Scott Pilgrim trailer that I should give the first volume a try, anyone else read it?

Do it. I did yesterday and it's awesomes. Bit of expense (I paid £8 for volume one and it lasted about 30 minutes) but so is comic buying I guess. You can find rars of the web too, though you totally shouldn't.

Anyway, the art style initially seems a bit crap but once you get past that, it rocks ultimate.

Also, anyone read Blankets? Im considering buying.

Yeah I did buy it in the end, it came through yesterday. Not sure if i'll be getting anymore, I did enjoy most of it but there was something off about it.

Anyway I just read BN #8, twas good but does feel like a bit of a letdown overall. I think its mostly to do with the new trend for events these days which is to leave bits unanswered or open for the next event or in this case "Brightest Day"

Yeah I think I was expecting something a little more too.

I was kind of wanting bigger cliff hangers. It was cool though.

I liked how Hal and Superman and co became White Lanterns that was cool, and I like that the White Lanterns now have a power battery. That means we'll hopefully getting some specific permanent White Lanterns.

I liked that Black Hand got imprisoned with the Indigos, it means ongoing plot threads with them.

And I liked Anti Monitor being back heh heh.

Yeah it was cool with some great artwork.

Overall a very very very awesome event indeed with good cliff hangers and moments spread all throughout.

NEW SPIDEY GAME

SHATTERED DIMENSIONS, travel through four different universes including Amazing and NOIR!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25493

man, Spider-Man was excellent this week. Seriously just...so complete. Everything Spider-Man should be (bar a bit of fisticuffs but I don't hold a grudge)

in fact, it's just been really solid lately. say what you will about BND but they're certainly using the blank slate it offers to such good effect right now that it's genuinely hard to complain. So much is happening to so much of Spider-Man's world, and to such a strong supporting cast, that it's still one of the best books on the shelves.

Which arcs do you consider poor, Rez?

Second Coming #2 was slick. More proof that CBR are talking shit often and without cause. Although the scope of the event wasn't really unveiled as such, it was an effective re-entry in to current events for Hope and Cable with some excellent characterisation and solid art work.

Which arcs do you consider poor, Rez?

Second Coming #2 was slick. More proof that CBR are talking shit often and without cause. Although the scope of the event wasn't really unveiled as such, it was an effective re-entry in to current events for Hope and Cable with some excellent characterisation and solid art work.

I'd say apart from the two Rhino stories by Max Fiumara (who I absolutely LOVE) and the Electro story (dunno the artist) but the Electro one (and the recent one he did...Vulture?) I don't mind that one...well its good, but I'd say every single other arc within the past 12 months has been shit. (Or rather I should say apart from the opening arcs of BND, 95% have been shit)

Oh apart from American Son. All the artists on that were pretty great.

I think more cartoony artwork suits Spider-Man.

But one of my favourite artists is back on for Lizard soon - Chris Bachalo.

But yeah. I think its crazy. They all look crap, and the colourings crap and has absolutely no depth. Seriously go look at the colouring its fucking terrible.

An actual caption from X-Men Forever #20

“Remy’s not fond of fighting. By nature, he’s a charmer. By profession, an adventurer-thief. Violence like this may be a fact of his life, occasionally even a necessity... but only as a last resort. He much prefers being the lover to the warrior. That said, he prides himself on being the best he can be at both.”

What The Fuck?

That's one caption.

That sort of thing was rife in X-Treme too. An entire series based on people kicking down doors and explaining how their powers work in excruciating detail over and over.

New X-Men was genuinely stunning when it ran alongside X-Treme in the UK reprints- incredible action sequences conducted in near silence while actions spoke louder than words and deafened everyone in the room. For me, that's when modern comics happened and I've never looked back.*

*Not entirely true. You should still totally read The Man With No Fear by Frank Miller.

Yeah...I remember someone asked Essential weren't printing all 3 of the X-team books (New, X-Treme and Uncanny), and they said "because Uncanny wasn't well-received in the US".

But having read 2 tpbs of Austen's Uncany, I'd much rather have seen that to be honest. At least it was set in the mansion, and would have helped explain where the heck half the X-Men were. It wasn't amazing by any means, but I much preferred it to X-treme. X-Treme was SAVED by Salvador Larroca. Its obvious now that it was his art that made the first arcs seem all shiny and nice. If they were by Igor Kordey *shiver* it'd be a different story (literally!).

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!