NEurope

Justice League Dark? Hmmm.

Seriously, this sounds like DC's readjusting to be more like Marvel. And I don't like it. Because it sounds good. And thus is positioning itself to bankrupt me.

Flashpost: Deadman To Star In Adventure Comics #1

In September, along with everything else, Bleeding Cool has been told to expect a new Adventure Comics #1. And a new lead, namely the recent star of Brightest Day, Deadman. Alive, dead, somewhere in between, a new status quo for Boston Brand or something very different, I have no idea. Yet. Though I’m hearing of Ryan Sook involvement in some fashion…

More about what happens after Flashpoint to come.

DC Confirms Full Reboot: September Brings 52 First Issues and Day and Date Digital

This year, change is in the air at DC Comics.

On Wednesday, August 31st, DC Comics will launch a historic renumbering of the entire DC Universe line of comic books with 52 first issues, including the release of JUSTICE LEAGUE by NEW YORK TIMES bestselling writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and bestselling artist and DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee. The publication of JUSTICE LEAGUE issue 1 will launch day-and-date digital publishing for all these ongoing titles, making DC Comics the first of the two major American publishers to release all of its superhero comic book titles digitally the same day as in print.

DC Comics will only publish two comic books on August 31st: the final issue of this summer’s comic book mini-series FLASHPOINT and the first issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE by Johns and Lee, two of the most distinguished and popular contemporary comic book creators, who will be collaborating for the first time. Together they will offer a contemporary take on the origin of the comic book industry’s premier superhero team.

In the hours, days and weeks to come, we’ll have more news about the other titles. Tomorrow, we’ll hear from Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee about this momentous occasion. Keep checking THE SOURCE for updates about the other first issues.

This year, make history with us.

Open Letter From Bob Wayne to Retailers

A LETTER ON THE DC UNIVERSE AND SEPTEMBER 2011

To our comics retail partners,

In the time I’ve worked at DC Comics, I’ve witnessed any number of industry defining moments. But today, I bring you what is perhaps the biggest news to date.

Many of you have heard rumors that DC Comics has been working on a big publishing initiative for later this year. This is indeed an historic time for us as, come this September, we are relaunching the entire DC Universe line of comic books with all new first issues. 52 of them to be exact.

In addition, the new #1s will introduce readers to a more modern, diverse DC Universe, with some character variations in appearance, origin and age. All stories will be grounded in each character’s legend – but will relate to real world situations, interactions, tragedy and triumph.

This epic event will kick off on Wednesday, August 31st with the debut of a brand new JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, which pairs Geoff Johns and Jim Lee, together for the first time. (Yes, this is the same week as FLASHPOINT #5.)

We think our current fans will be excited by this evolution, and that it will make jumping into the story extremely accessible to first-time readers – giving them a chance to discover DC’s characters and stories.

We are positioning ourselves to tell the most innovative stories with our characters to allow fans to see them from a new angle. We have taken great care in maintaining continuity where most important, but fans will see a new approach to our storytelling.

Some of the characters will have new origins, while others will undergo minor changes. Our characters are always being updated; however, this is the first time all of our characters will be presented in a new way all at once.

Dan DiDio, Bob Harras and Eddie Berganza have been working diligently to pull together some of the best creative teams in the industry. Over 50 new costumes will debut in September, many updated and designed by artist Jim Lee, ensuring that the updated images appeal to the current generation of readers.

The publication of JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 will also launch digital day-and-date for all ongoing superhero comic book titles – an industry first.

On Wednesday, June 1st, this initiative is expected to be announced in a nationwide feature article, and we’re hopeful the news will be picked up by media outlets around the world. Throughout the month we’ll reveal more details of our plans with articles in both the mainstream and comics press and on June 13th the Diamond catalog solicitations for all of the September titles will be released, followed by the June 29th street date of the print version of Previews.

DC Comics will support this initiative with an innovative mix of publicity, promotional efforts and retailer incentives designed to maximize your opportunity to increase your DC sales. We will discuss additional details of these incentives when we get closer to solicitation later in June.

We’ll be updating you more through email as September nears. But today, I hope your share our enthusiasm for this historic news!

Sincerely,

Bob Wayne

SVP, Sales

DC Entertainment

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-bob-wayne-talks-to-retailers-about-day-and-date-digital/

Someone post something by the way so these news items arent just piling up into one post! I look like im talking to myself! :p

Flashpost: The New Superman #1

In Superman #1, launching in September, we will see what appears to be a new uniform for Superman. Based on the usual style, but more segmented with scores, seams or raised lines running across and around his arms, legs and torso. Kneepads as part of a segmented bulky boot. And a belt that reflects the Superman shield shape. And involvement in some form by George Perez. I’m also told Rags Morales may be involved with Action Comics #1.

And moreover, I’m also told Superman appears younger than we’ve seen him of late, almost Superboyish. Ultimate Superman?

UPDATE: The image given to USA Today seems to confirm some of this. A rejuvenated Justice League? Certainly an early twenties look.

dc-comics-reinvents-PG564MG-x-large.jpg

Thats got me a bit worried now, I hadnt noticed the younger ages in that image until now

Edited by Happenstance

So hang on are they going to just end the Batman comics and start fresh or will Batman Inc etc continue?

I really dont like the idea of the Batman universe I love now just stopping. Same goes for the GL stuff.

Flashpost: A New Multi-Colour Lantern Team Book

In September, Bleeding Cool has been told to expect a new Green Lantern team book, made up of one member from each of the differing Lantern emotional colour spectrum. Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Indigo, Violet, Orange…. and Black?

Care Bear Stares each and every month! And some kind of Tyler Kirkham involvement.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-a-new-lantern-multi-colour-team/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29

So hang on are they going to just end the Batman comics and start fresh or will Batman Inc etc continue?

I really dont like the idea of the Batman universe I love now just stopping. Same goes for the GL stuff.

The details ive posted are all we know at the moment but I still think that bigger stories like Batman Inc will continue into this new world. Plus seeing as weve just found out about this new multi coloured Lantern book id say the GL universe will be one of the ones that has less changes.

Obviously everything will become clearer once they make the formal announcements and the September Solicits come out, but anything that is introduced to get more people into comics can only be a good thing.

Will be interesting to see how things go, a blank canvas for the DC Universe as designed by Geoff Johns :)

I'll be disappointed if Secret Six isn't continuing though!

More?

imageprocasp.jpg

* A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison.

* Wonder Woman is Superman's girlfriend.

* Birds of Prey #1 - This new ongoing series will not feature the work of longtime "BoP" writer Gail Simone. In fact, many tried and true approaches to books will be getting a second look at DC in September.

* Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

* Justice Society of America #1 - Only one of a number of current titles that will welcome a creative team shift, the future of the original superhero team will apparently not involve current writer Marc Guggenheim.

* Wonder Woman #1 - Don't expect the recent changes from writer J. Michael Straczynski to stick when the Amazing Amazon sees another new #1 hit.

* Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.

* Hawkman #1 - While fans have known a "Hawkman" series by James Robinson has been in the works since the writer mentioned it on a panel at New York Comic Con, Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston has been reporting the rumor that the book will be drawn by "Batman & Robin" and "Outsiders" artist Philip Tan.

* Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave.

^ If that's the new JLA I'm stunned. Is that Superboy at the top, or just an underwhelming Superman?

Sounds and looks sooooo good. Grant Morrison Superman sounds way more interesting than (Grant Morrison Batman. btw I enjoyed Batman and Robin).

Justice League looks cool.

GL Power Rangers book is surprising/awesome obviously.

The age thing is interesting. I was going to suggest that that might be Superboy. A big leap if it is just an adjusted-age Superman, but honestly - I think big changes were needed with Superman anyway, so....this all sounds way too good.

I love one thing. They say its more diverse. Lulz. Cyborg chosen as a big character in Flashpoint (and the new DC landscape) blates just because he's black.

^ If that's the new JLA I'm stunned. Is that Superboy at the top, or just an underwhelming Superman?

I thought it was Superboy too. They mention in the articles (why don't you read...) that there will be some age-re-adjustments.

Wonder Woman is Superman's girlfriend?...

Are you sure they just haven't upgraded Superboy? That sounds shit.

I do like his younger look, though. Didn't expect to. Like Paj said, underwhelming.

To be fair if Dante had bothered posting the actual articles then Bleeding Cool did say the Superman/Wonder Woman thing was "the one with the least firm foundations"

I wonder how young Superman is. This better not fuck with Superboy.

Superman and Wonder Woman look younger than Cyborg in the image, it doesnt make sense. Im fine with nearly all of this but I dont like the de-aging at all.

I wonder how young Superman is. This better not fuck with Superboy.

One of the thoughts at the moment is that the changes to Superman could be due to the incredibly annoying Superman/Superboy court case thats still going on. Theyre thinking that DC could be protecting its character by changing him enough.

This was apparently one of the reasons Superboy was killed off in Infinite Crisis and why during Countdown Superboy Prime was called Superman Prime.

There is even talk that it may end up being that the Siegel and Schuster families will get to keep the rights to the original character and powers (super strength, leaping over tall buildings etc) and DC would get the character with all the stuff they did with him (I think thats Krypton, flight, vision powers etc). Its been compared to the Bond movies where one canon one was made and one non canon around the same time (not a Bond fan so dont know the details)

Edited by Happenstance
Automerged Doublepost

Wow, just wow, we thought it may happen, but thats just amazing, they've created all new jumping on points that really work best if you've read FlashPoint. I must say this is the ballsiest move i've ever seen by the big two, their relaunching their whole line and going to day and date them digitally? Simply outstanding, could either work amazingly or backfire.

By the by, Jim lee's batman's costume is the batman inc costume, it's safe to say that it is sticking around.

Geoff and Jim, its going to be beautiful.

You have to wonder whats gonna happen with some of these characters now though. Like the batfamily characters, Superboy as Daft mentioned, Donna Troy and Wondergirl, Wally West and Bart Allen. Will they stay mostly the same or will we lose some/have them revert back to old characters etc. Will Damian Wayne even have been born.

With Superman being younger now will he still be the greatest hero in the DCU or just be starting out, whats gonna be in continuity still and what will we lose?

Just noticed, Hal Jordan isn't wearing a power ring in that group shot. Mistake or part of the new DCU I wonder.

Just noticed, Hal Jordan isn't wearing a power ring in that group shot. Mistake or part of the new DCU I wonder.

Okay, now they've gone too far.

-------------

God, you've got to laugh at Marvel sometimes.

Issue 3 of Venom. I pick it up. Look at the front cover. Don't see Tony Moore's name on the credits. Fill in artist already. Lol. What the hell. Issue 3. Can't even complete the first arc.

In the letters column it said Tony Moore was "Waylaid by the midwest storms" or something, but I really don't see how that could have caused it.

Just read Flashpoint #2

Gotta say, I wasnt particularly impressed with this issue. Not a lot seemed to happen for an event comic and I think things have been changed so much that its just too confusing on who people are etc. I did enjoy the ending though at least.

Ah, its up eh. I'll give it a cheeky download. Did you see if Fear Itself is up?

I'm on ExpressShare forums and can't see it, plx can you link meh? (Fear Itself. Got Flashypointy now)

I should really just stop reading event books as single issues, I never seem to get much out of them until I read it all at once. Fear Itself #3 was good but mostly a load of fights or quick talks.

(Cheers).

Also lol at Flashpoint ending. Issue itself....hmmm. Opening was nice, with the shot of that structure. Still don't "get" its bag though.