NEurope
corkcrumbs

Are the controls for Zelda TP any good?

I'm just curious.. are they any good?

And if good, how good? Do the controls elevate the game to a new plateau of greatness, or do you feel it's more like nintendo just added on some o.k. funny motion sensitive controls to the game?

they're fine... after a while you stop thinking about it. the aiming with the bow etc.. is really good.

slashing the wiimote to do the sword sounds tacky, but it's actually quite easy/effective.

it works really well, but obviously it's not designed to make you feel like you're actually doing it (like wii sports etc..)

The Wii controls are simple enough (i.e. just waggle and aiming), but still feel fantastic.

Yeah, they're really well done.

I wouldn't want to get back to the regular controls and that's saying a lot.

They're not overly implemented, It's more like a working concept than stuff like "tilt the wiimote left and there goes a left slash" you don't control that stuff (and could)

That said... it really adds to the experience, aiming it's lots of better for the obvious reasons, sword fighting is really more imersive, horse riding feels better...

*In best nerdy voice* No, they ruin the Zelda magic experience. Right handed Link. Pfft.

*In best nerdy voice* No, they ruin the Zelda magic experience. Right handed Link. Pfft.

lol:laughing:

I think the TP controls are perfect, they are simple yes but they just work so well and intially going back to play through WW I found it very hard to play without it. Things like the spin attack feel so slow and cumbersom using the old cube pad, and the combat feels alot less tactile.

Next time I hope they give you the option on what handed link you want to start off with.

But does it matter whether or not ure left or right handed?

Aiming.. no

Swordfighting.. it ought to matter, but since the sword fighting doesn't follow your hand movement exactly it really shouldn't matter whether you're left or right handed.

so if Link is right handed shouldn't matter to a left handed player..

It's better than the Cube version. The aiming is really much better, most of all. I can't help but think that the sword slashing is a bit too simple, but since it wasn't made only for Wii I'll forgive them as it's good enough.

much better than the controls on previous zeldas but still not the holy grail.

Keep the aiming, ditch the sword swinging. Or if it stays at least get it so it's 1:1. I don't mind it but it does kind of frustrate me that Link isn't doing the sword swings I am.

Keep the aiming, ditch the sword swinging. Or if it stays at least get it so it's 1:1.

I don't want 1:1. I want a bit more interactivity with the sword swings, but not 1:1.

1:1 is horrible. The reason: the wiimote doesn't exactly stop in middle air if an enemy blocks your sword with his (his?) sword, so you can't have 1:1 sword fights. I've written about this in another forum before...

1:1 in Zelda? How will you do all those combos? I think the way it is, it's the better way. Maybe in some special instances it can be more controlable, but not throughout the game.

1:1 sword fighting isn't needed in zelda, the sword use in the wii version is like pressing a button rather than pretending to swing a sword and I think it's fine that way.

Is it easy to control? Yes. Though I played some oot and mm and went back to twilight princess to find myself looking for a b button during fights lol.

And as far as left/right handed Links go: I don't mind so much that Link is a righty in the wii version, since nothing's that precise. I can aim twice as well with my left hand than my right, but you get used to it quickly. And it's generally a lot more accurate than aiming with a stick no matter what-handed you are.

I thought the controls were well done, but found myself turning off the pointer straight away, it was annoying and it made no sense to have a fairy around at all.

The controls were excellent. Very very well thought out and implemented.

They're good for a launch game, but the Wii Controls still have along way to go and improve as time goes by.

But yeah, good stuff for the first game NIntendo make using them.

The sword controls are simple but very satisfying.

The only thing that annoyed me about the implementation of the pointer was the totally unnecessary (and nonesensical) appearance of Navi onscreen.

Oh, and (this may be a silly question) but why, when Nintendo decided that Link must be right handed, didn't they just mirror Link instead of the whole game??! Wierd.

Oh, and (this may be a silly question) but why, when Nintendo decided that Link must be right handed, didn't they just mirror Link instead of the whole game??! Wierd.

Because it was much, much simpler to mirror the whole game.

If I'd spent years designing a game world, I wouldn't want players to get a back-to-front experience of it. It makes a subtle mockery of the whole idea of 'design' in games - the carefully considered layout and intuitive feel of things is drastically altered. If you play the gamecube version it makes so much more sense, it feels right (despite lack of widescreen, Navi and waggle).

If I'd spent years designing a game world, I wouldn't want players to get a back-to-front experience of it. It makes a subtle mockery of the whole idea of 'design' in games - the carefully considered layout and intuitive feel of things is drastically altered. If you play the gamecube version it makes so much more sense, it feels right (despite lack of widescreen, Navi and waggle).

I agree but in the case of this Zelda, money decided.

The choice to mirror everything though was still better than to mirror Link because essentially the gameplay stayed the same. If they mirrored Link all the enemies would actually hit his sword instead of the shield I think and it would require additional bugtesting. However, the whole layout of Hyrule was wrong :(

Still I'm happy they ported it for the Wii. The Wii controls made it a lot more physical and especially in more intense battles this was really enjoyable.

I hated that fairy pointer thing though.

The sword controls are a bit weird in wolf form, but that grew on me after a while. The aiming controls are perfect though, it's so much better than a normal controller in that aspect.

I don't want 1:1. I want a bit more interactivity with the sword swings, but not 1:1.

What I mean is if I make a swing motion down to the left it'd do it. I think I have a different version in my head of what 1:1 is compared to everyone else. I don't want it to be like a real sword fight just it actually does what I want it and I can do the combos myself, for example: Swing left, swing right, swing up. I found a lot of times in TP I was just swinging all over in any direction and Link performed a combo regardless. That's just my opinion anyway :heh:

the only let-down from the wiimote is the sound. the speaker-quality really screws the experience. fortunately you can turn it off, and all sounds will come from whatever setup you have installed.