N-Europe

Gap Year

Slaggis

I'm not doing one, but on of my friends is. However, he is now having second thoughts, as he was going to go traveling, but I've pointed out to him he has no way to finance it.:blank: His sister did one, but she now regrets doing so, as all of her friends have already gone and had very, very nearly and entire year at Uni, and all love it, while she's missed out.

Instead of taking a a gap year, me and several friends are going to Italy for a couple of weeks to stay in a villa after our exams. At the moment, it seems that I'm the only one who is actually really trying to get things in motion, as we only have 4 people signed up to it so far, which is not enough.

This lack of numbers (so far) is partially because we have vetoed many of our other friends as other members of the confirmed group greatly dislike them for one reason of another. It's also got to have something to do with the fact that I have vetoed any (current) bfs/gfs of those already going from signing up, as if the couple split, one (or worse, both) aren't going to want to come, and leave the rest of us with a large bill.

Sorry for the side track...

I took a gap year straight after 6th form, as I was not certain what I wanted to do. Didn't do anything exciting, just worked for 10 out of 12 months of the gap year, and just took the other 2 off to enjoy myself. One things I missed out on during that year was making new friends, as all my school friends were making new friends in University. As a result, my social life diary was not as full as it should of had been.

I'm not taking a gap year because after 6th form (which is officially tomorrow as it's my last exam) I'm going to music college. But if I weren't going there I'd take a gap year because I don't want to go to Uni just yet.

I went straight from collge to uni and dont regret it, unless you are traveling i dont see much point in a gap year as first year at uni isnt really much of a challange anyway. More than enough time to go off traveling during the looong summer breaks aswell =-)

I took a gap year, I got a holiday visa and lived in New Jersey for 6 months. It was cool to see a change of culture - I loved America, specifically New York City and spent a lot of time there, plus the new found freedom, independence and sense of adventure was excellent. However I went for the wrong reasons and did a lot of things badly, hence it ending half way. If I could take a gap year again, it would be a lot better. I would suggest heavy organisation, if possible use some kind of student scheme, get work, see a lot of wherever you go. My cousin went all over America, Australia, New Zealand and a tonne of other places - I would've much rather done that, although as I said, New York was so great I don't regret that aspect for a moment.

I can definitely recommend taking a year out - but I really think the most important thing to do is plan the whole year ahead and speak to someone at school/college about it. Going in blind was exciting but had real drawbacks.

I wish I had taken one, the first 6 months of uni although I loved it. I wasn't mentally ready for. It was quite a shock for me at the time. Looking back of course I realise what a daft **** I was and wish I could do it again. But yeah if I had taken a year off to get some worldly experiance first would have enjoyed my first year at uni much more.