N-Europe

Switch to MacOS X?

Jasper

Switch to MacOS X, if it were not hardware-bound?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Switch to MacOS X, if it were not hardware-bound?

• Yes, I would switch. Swiftly like the wind, that is.
    • Maybe I'de switch, but not as swiftly. Have to see it first.
    • God no, I'll stick to Vista and enjoy AERO forever. (heart)
    • I've got no idea. Frankly, i don't even know what this poll is about.

I know many of you are Windows users out there, but who would switch to MacOS X if it became freely avaible? You know, if it wasn't hardware bound. Who would use it? Who would switch? Who would stay on Vista?

This is no comparison, nor an vs.-thread. Just a question.

Let's see if Apple made the good decision sticking to their hardware-bound one and see if they'd sell anything to you guys.

I can't vote - there's no "sticking with XP for now" choice.

It's a completely hypothetical question, dude. Mac OS X is not going to be released from it's hardware compound any day soon, so if it's Vista or XP, it doesn't really matter. it's you switch or not. I want to see if it's the hardware that keeps people away from Apple, or the OS.

There's not an option for me :heh: I'd probably run Windows (XP) on my games machine, Linux on my server and OS X on a laptop. So making OS X free from hardware bounds wouldn't really affect me much since I'm planning on buying a macbook. It would just mean that I could have more control over the laptop specs.

If i had the option, i would probably just install OS X on all the PCs in the house as it'd be cheaper, but as it is, i'm slowly phasing out PCs and introducing Macs. I have a feeling this is going to get contagious as already my uncle has got a macbook, and my uncle is wanting my macbook pro lol

Since i own a Macbook already then I'd just stick with it.

If Mac OS X was available for any hardware though wouldn't that bring some of the problems that Windows has?

It's all theoretical anyway-not real, so problems don't apply.

Oh, so we're essentially taking price out of the equation?

We're only looking at what you'de work with. Just imagen it like this: if you'de buy a new computer, would you let it pre-installed with macOS X or Windows Vista/XP? Would you jump on the macos bandwagon if it wasn't hardware-bound, but software like Windows.

However, it would give somewhat the same problems as windows, from a technical point of view - but that doesn't matter in this poll/discussion.

Isn't there a crack to get OS X running on any PC?

I'm talking official, you old hack-pot.

Why do we all try to find a reason to make my poll useless? "You can run MacOS with some hacks, can't you?" "Technically it would cause the same problems as windows, no?" Will you guys stop it already...

If OS X does get released then i'll dual boot with Vista, decide which is better and then stick with that.

May come as a surprise but i'd quite like OS X as my OS, i don't use my current comp for anything but web browsing, music, torrents and films. For that Vista has better features (Media Centre) but OS X may well run smoother

If OS X does get released then i'll dual boot with Vista, decide which is better and then stick with that.

May come as a surprise but i'd quite like OS X as my OS, i don't use my current comp for anything but web browsing, music, torrents and films. For that Vista has better features (Media Centre) but OS X may well run smoother

Would you, or anybody, say that Media Centre is better than Front Row and/or Apple TV?

As far as i know they both do the same job just with different UIs.

Would you, or anybody, say that Media Centre is better than Front Row and/or Apple TV?

Front row has limited codes - you've got to stick with your iTunes and Quicktime movies. But off course, if you take in equatation that Apple has only just begun and their preentation is already better than the one on windows platforms, well. The lack of avaible formats for FrontRow is just staggeringly annoying. But aren't there any third-party application that can help out there?

EDIT: Apparantly, I'm wrong.

Front row has limited codes - you've got to stick with your iTunes and Quicktime movies. But off course, if you take in equatation that Apple has only just begun and their preentation is already better than the one on windows platforms, well. The lack of avaible formats for FrontRow is just staggeringly annoying. But aren't there any third-party application that can help out there?

I can watch AVIs and Real vids in front row :S

Don't know a lot about Front Row but as i understand it Media Centre is a bit more advanced. It's not just a piece of software for viewing AVIs, heck i'd use VLC if thats all it did.

A Media Centre PC is the most advanced piece of TV viewing kit in the country. You can add just about any type of TV tuner, the interface is neat and Microsoft run they're own Freeview EPG (tv guide) which happens to be the best one around ;)

It's like Sky+ but without the subscriptions and you can do a lot more with it. Once you've recorded a program you can burn it to DVD, leave it on you're HDD for viewing later or transfer to a portable device.

For those that want it there are some more advanced features too. You can use IR Blasters to get Media Centre to control you're existing kit. This doesn't work brilliantly, mostly because the Media Centre can talk to the kit but not the other way round so the system has a tendency to get confused and select the wrong channel.

Theres even ways to get Sky working using a DVB-S card, a few extra bits of software and a simple hack.

Unusually for Microsoft the kit is fairly easy to use too and the interface is great! Im not sure if Front Row can do these things yet but as i understand it Apple TV is currently limited to stuff from the network and the Apple Store?

Theres no doubt in my mind that Media Centre is the most advanced piece of AV kit around at the moment, thats why there are loads of Linux based alternatives (like Myth TV) copying it. They wouldn't try to copy something that isn't at the top of the pile

I'd do you a video demo but tbh my comp is a little on the slow side. Im running Vista but no Aero and it takes a few seconds to load stuff up. Add some recording software into the mix and my comp would probably start crying :p

Don't know a lot about Front Row but as i understand it Media Centre is a bit more advanced. It's not just a piece of software for viewing AVIs, heck i'd use VLC if thats all it did.

A Media Centre PC is the most advanced piece of TV viewing kit in the country. You can add just about any type of TV tuner, the interface is neat and Microsoft run they're own Freeview EPG (tv guide) which happens to be the best one around ;)

It's like Sky+ but without the subscriptions and you can do a lot more with it. Once you've recorded a program you can burn it to DVD, leave it on you're HDD for viewing later or transfer to a portable device.

For those that want it there are some more advanced features too. You can use IR Blasters to get Media Centre to control you're existing kit. This doesn't work brilliantly, mostly because the Media Centre can talk to the kit but not the other way round so the system has a tendency to get confused and select the wrong channel.

Theres even ways to get Sky working using a DVB-S card, a few extra bits of software and a simple hack.

Unusually for Microsoft the kit is fairly easy to use too and the interface is great! Im not sure if Front Row can do these things yet but as i understand it Apple TV is currently limited to stuff from the network and the Apple Store?

Theres no doubt in my mind that Media Centre is the most advanced piece of AV kit around at the moment, thats why there are loads of Linux based alternatives (like Myth TV) copying it. They wouldn't try to copy something that isn't at the top of the pile

I'd do you a video demo but tbh my comp is a little on the slow side. Im running Vista but no Aero and it takes a few seconds to load stuff up. Add some recording software into the mix and my comp would probably start crying :p

That's pretty much my understanding of it as well. Front Row is good and looks nice, but it's essentially for just putting a bit of music on or looking at some photos.

That's pretty much my understanding of it as well. Front Row is good and looks nice, but it's essentially for just putting a bit of music on or looking at some photos.

I think it's handy, since a lot of content is on my laptop, i just sit the other side of the room with the remote and watch it, or stick some music on in the background while doing other things. Front row is just photos, DVD, videos and music. For TV i'm going to get an eyeTV for my MBP so i don't have to base my saturday nights around what time Dr Who's on at lol

Front Row is limited to the codecs that it comes with; just as Media Center is limited to the codecs that it comes with. Just download them, like.

Apple + third-party = nonsense. Apple things never really got along with third-party. Look at iPhone apps: only widgetary. Look at Apple TV: only what Apple offers you and nothing else (unless you crack it, in wich Apple nd offers nothing anymore).

They've also had a bad nack for being open. Ah well, still love their OS. And Hardware.

Front Row is limited to the codecs that it comes with; just as Media Center is limited to the codecs that it comes with. Just download them, like.

Media Centre is limited to the codecs installed in Windows Media Player, so it can basically play anything.

The only thing i've had trouble with is importing songs ripped in iTunes. iTunes does something wierd to the metatags that stops WMP being able to read them. Its a majour problem because the only option is to either rename every track, re-rep every track or pay these guys for they're plugin