NEurope
Marshmellow

Downloading (Legal) Torrents to External Hard Drives

While I'm on vacation I'm stuck with a PII, 128mb of RAM, 300mb of hard drive space left, and USB 1.1. However I brought my External hard drive with me, if I download all my legal torrents on to the Ext Hard drive will it slow them down any? Since it has to be transferred over deathly slow USB 1.1?

I have to take advantage of the fast internet. :P

My perfectly legal torrents all down to my external, but it's 2.0.

Can't believe you idiots are wondering about legal torrents, and are amazed they exist. This forum is full of tools sometimes.

And to answer the OP's question, USB 1.0 can transfer up to 12 Mbit/s at full-speed, so unless you're downloading the torrents at a faster rate than that then it shouldn't affect how fast it transfers to the drive.

Can't believe you idiots are wondering about legal torrents, and are amazed they exist. This forum is full of tools sometimes

Omgz m8 chillz out. :bouncy::cry:

I agree though tbh... torrents are just a way of sharing files, nobody ever said that they had to lead to illegal downloads :/ On the other hand I find it interesting that you even had to mention them being 'legal' :heh: sounds like a guilty conscience to me! There was no need to clarify either way ;)

Anyway... you can download to an external HDD the same way you download to an internal HDD. Depending on your download speed it probably won't be hampered too much by ancient USB hubs. Even if you downloaded it to a local drive, you'd have to move it across afterwards and that would add up to the same time.

Really though, who's on USB 1.1 these days? Get yourself a new USB PCI card and Windows XP SP2 man.

Well N-E is pretty strict about Torrents and such so I thought I would just say there legal just to be safe.

But trust me, I'm not happy about being on an ancient computer either, but no need to buy a new computer, or even parts just to use on vacation... And it turns out this computer does have XP SP2.

Thanks for the help everybody, well I guess only Colin and Shorty really.:p But thanks for the spam everybody else. :)

Whenever I've tried downloading torrents onto my external USB drive, whenever I've tried restarting the torrent I get a 'Semaphore error' which sucks hardas the only way I've found to solve it is to delete everything and start