N-Europe

Getting sick of all those different memory card formats?

Guest Jordan

Guest Jordan

Heres your solution! (Hopefully):

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=storage&articleId=9022598&taxonomyId=19&intsrc=kc_top

MiCard (Multiple Interface Card) will be released in June, initially at 8GB. It'll fit into MMC ports, so unless its a Sony product, you can use it and it will also connect to a USB port.

The card will be the global standard in memory card, so expect this one to take over very soon. And for the ones who are interested, its maximum capacity is 2,048GB.

Picture for anyone whos interested:

100379334.jpg

Left: With MMC adapter

Top: Memory Card

Right: Memory Card's back

Yea, a standard format is good.

So, it'll work in pretty much anything with a MMC or SD card reader? And devices that can use USB for storage.

I take it Sony will stick to their format, though, rather than adapting this one.

Still.....2TB....wow.

Guest Jordan
2TB? This is a joke, since no ,medium can store up to so much data except for a hard drive and that's what this ain't...

Its completely possible, most current memory cards are based on very old technologies.

I mean, when we first got 4MB memory cards, no one imagined current 4GB memory cards. When it comes to tech, anythings possible.

I'm just curious - will older/cheap SD readers (i.e. 2GB Max - like most devices until very recently) be compatable?

I think the problem beforehand was actually due to there been no "industry-standard" 4GB cards.

Yeah, but that doesn't always go to plan. The DVD Forum say HD DVD is the next gen DVD format but Sony went a head and did their own thing regardless.

Thinking about it thats the second time Sony have grabbed a bunch of companies, given the 2 fingers to the DVD Forum and made their own format (hence why why have DVD+R and DVD-R). Im surprised they're still a member...

Yeah, but that doesn't always go to plan. The DVD Forum say HD DVD is the next gen DVD format but Sony went a head and did their own thing regardless.

Thinking about it thats the second time Sony have grabbed a bunch of companies, given the 2 fingers to the DVD Forum and made their own format (hence why why have DVD+R and DVD-R). Im surprised they're still a member...

Exactly I couldn't help think about this when the original post mentioned Sony.

Exactly I couldn't help think about this when the original post mentioned Sony.

Will Sony ever use a standard format?

Betamax, DVD+R, Minidisk, MemoryStick, Black-Coated-CDs, DVDs with emblems embedded on the bottom side, UMD, Blu-Ray...

Guest Jordan
Will Sony ever use a standard format?

Betamax, DVD+R, Minidisk, MemoryStick, Black-Coated-CDs, DVDs with emblems embedded on the bottom side, UMD, Blu-Ray...

Short answer?

Fuck no.

Woah, that's fucking crazy. Screw hard drives eh? It'll be a while until they're cheap though, but it's good thinking to have a universal standard with huge capacity! This mean's they'll work through any SD/MMC reader, right? Of course, I imagine transfer speeds will become an issue at some point, and the fact they're SUPER EASY TO LOSE.

I guess the only other issue now, is hardware not capable of like >4GB flash memory?

Guest Jordan
Woah, that's fucking crazy. Screw hard drives eh? It'll be a while until they're cheap though, but it's good thinking to have a universal standard with huge capacity! This mean's they'll work through any SD/MMC reader, right? Of course, I imagine transfer speeds will become an issue at some point, and the fact they're SUPER EASY TO LOSE.

I guess the only other issue now, is hardware not capable of like >4GB flash memory?

Thats a good point actually.

USB 2.0 would take forever to do so much data and i'm not sure if USB 3.0/2.1 or a successor is in the works. Its not like firewire took off or anything...