NEurope
Emasher

General Gallery

I'll abuse this thread for something:

Can you learn how to draw? And if you can, how do you start? Any recommendations for tutorials/books/techniques?

My drawing skills are: I can draw a square and a cube. Anything beyond that is out of my league :D

I certainly think you can learn. In fact, I taught myself with Art Academy and a few pointers from other artists, including @Ugh first aid.

I can't recommend Art Academy enough. Put in the time to practice and you really will improve.

Before I got the DSi version, I literally knew nothing about drawing well. Only experience I had was making Flipnotes. And funny they might have been, but anyone who saw them can tell you they weren't easy on the eye.

But after going through all the lessons, I ended up drawing on this caliber.

jiro_by_dragononsteroids-d3jw2a9.jpg

Not fantastic, but way better than before I used the software.

That was 5 years ago.

Nowadays, I'm drawing stuff like this.

kitted_out_by_glen_i-d9llcwn.jpg

After a few years, I kinda found myself feeling more comfortable drawing in a more cartoony way, I experiment now and again, but I seem to have found my artistic style.

I'm living proof that you can teach yourself to draw, at least with Art Academy you can.

Anyway, I should contribute something to this thread again.

Here's a collab effort between @Ugh first aid and me that was recently finished.

She did a sketch about a year ago and I secretly inked and coloured it. I can do that, I'm her cousin.

emboar_s_hammer_arm_by_glen_i-d9wdoye.png

No, don't ask why she chose to draw a wooden hammer.

Edited by Glen-i

So I took the Blue Rogue logo from the previous page, tinkered with it a bit and made myself a mockup of some branded stationery:

vintage-mock-up-freebie_1.jpg

Edited by Goafer

^ Looks good Goaf. If it your own mockup or did you use an online template? Looks good in any case

I'll abuse this thread for something:

Can you learn how to draw? And if you can, how do you start? Any recommendations for tutorials/books/techniques?

My drawing skills are: I can draw a square and a cube. Anything beyond that is out of my league :D

As Bob says, I'd say the main thing is drawing a lot! Maybe try one of those 365 projects (task yourself to do one drawing / piece of art a day and track your progress).

For me the main thing is just allowing yourself the time when you're doing a drawing. Before you start sketching take a long time to just look at the subject; where everything is, where the areas of light and shadow are. Leave a drawing overnight so you come back to it with fresh eyes. Look at it in a mirror to spot any inconsistencies. And give yourself as long as possible to detail all of the shading. And when you come to draw think as much about the light and shade rather than just the outlines.

Similarly, spending a long time looking at artists that you admire work is useful; how does a great painter combine his brush strokes? What different shading methods do talented pencil artists use (smudging, crosshatching, stippling) and why do you like them? Learn from other styles - perhaps take a small section of an artists work you admire and try and replicate it yourself - learn from the greats that like, and develop your own style from there.

I'd also suggest looking in your area for life drawing classes. They're usually about £5 a go and are fantastic for learning to draw. In terms of learning resources, it really depends what you're hoping to draw and how. Do you want to be great at quickly sketching faces, say - or are you interested in technical drawings of architecture?

This book is good too - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Creativity/dp/0285641778/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460037819&sr=8-1&keywords=drawing+betty

Have fun and if you crack on with it do post some stuff in here! And don;t forget that everyone sucks at first, and we all frequently do!

--

A random collection of some recent-ish stuff

vglfyo.png

BTW what sites do people use to upload images? I notice my tinypic images get removed after a few months - a bit of a downer when I'm looking back through threads like this.

^ Looks good Goaf. If it your own mockup or did you use an online template? Looks good in any case.

It's an online mockup. We use a load at work, so I just nabbed them to use at home.

At last! A finished showreel - just in case one you wants to hire me

You should add a link (or embed a youtube version if you have one available). Without Flash this isn't showing anything.

Looks great though.

You should add a link (or embed a youtube version if you have one available). Without Flash this isn't showing anything.

Looks great though.

Ah cool - ta - done

That's a beautiful piece of art Hazel. :)

Samurai Grovyle I like the concept.

Did it take you long to create? Looks like a fair few hours work.

I really should get back into creating artwork again, it really has been ages.

@S\.C\.G XD To be honest the sketch is REALLY old. I started working on and off this for a little while. Mostly due to lack of motivation.

XD You totally should! > w < I've love to see some of your art! 8D