N-Europe

Friends PC Has Died....Any Help/Info?

Here is his problem.

I am only a moderately experienced computer geek, and I don't really know where to turn. Hopefully, one of you guys can help me out here. My home computer has just stopped working. By that I mean that when I hit the power button, nothing happens. Here are the other symptoms and circumstances.

On Saturday, my wife tripped a circuit in the fuse box, and it shut down the whole office. After the fuse blew, I tried to turn on the PC and it made weird beeping noises like it was trying to turn on, but couldn't. It reminded me of a car trying to turn over with a bad alternator. I got it to start up by holding the power button in for a couple seconds.

The computer has worked fine since then except for a complete inability to burn DVD's properly.

Last night, I made a 10th attemp at burning the most recent episodes of Smallville, and when I checked it this morning, the DVD was ejected, and the PC was off.

I checked the DVD and it works in my player.

I opened the tower and there was nothing out of the ordinary. (no smells or anything either)

There was one green LED lit.

I could guess that it's the power supply, but I have no clue what that really is, so I would just be tossing out buzz words. Plus, that green LED makes me think it might not be that. Feel free to ask any questions to help figure out what my problem is. Big thanks to anyone who can help me.

-Stan

Cheers for any help, He'll appreciate it.

Get a mac.JOKEJOKEJOKEJOKEJOKE

Caris you hit the nail on the head macs are a joke.

But serously ReZourceman, it sounds like it may actually be something inside the pc itself could be that maybe a something has warped in there - with a sudden electrical surge. Thats what it sounds like but I would get in touch with a BCS qualified technican mate.

If you have another pc you could try it with the other pc's power supply. They're relatively easy to switch. Usually 4 screws and a bunch of wires. The green led was on the motherboard? That just indicates that the computer is plugged in.

If you have another pc you could try it with the other pc's power supply. They're relatively easy to switch. Usually 4 screws and a bunch of wires. The green led was on the motherboard? That just indicates that the computer is plugged in.

However if the computer is off and the green led is sill on i'm saying something still may have warped or solder has come loose or something or the capacitors are maby knacked. Yes actually could be the capacitors espeically if the power in your office went down quickly.

Would still recommend getting intouch with a BCS registerd technician though.

However if the computer is off and the green led is sill on i'm saying something still may have warped or solder has come loose or something or the capacitors are maby knacked. Yes actually could be the capacitors espeically if the power in your office went down quickly.

Depends on the motherboard I guess. ASUS uses a green led to warn users not to fiddle around (install upgrades etc.) with the motherboard while the circuits are live. If the power supply is turned off or unplugged the led would be off.

Guest Jordan

It sounds to me as if something has short circuited, theres power going into the motherboard, but if a single wire is dead in a PC, the machine will not boot up.

Its gunna be either:

Motherboard

PSU

Thats basically what your options are.