NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Slaggis

Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Thing

I can't stand Girlfriend. It's irritating...and you can tell she's trying too hard. By throwing "motherfucking" in there. Shock horror! Other than that...there's nothing particularly inspiring about her music. Pretty generic chord structures, slightly whiny voice (it is, it has that annoying twinge to it). Although not as bad as FOB mind :D She's just nothing special, bit generic. Although it's not utterly offensive.

Her singing's not atrocious but it's not exactly agreeable. Chloe Alper FTW.

and you can tell she's trying too hard.
That's it! Thank you for phrasing the exact reason why I don't like her (and Ashlee Simpson and the likes). They're trying hard to be badass punk rock chicks but they're not; they try to find a mid way between Britney pop and Green Day punk and it's just not a good mix in my opinion.

Unlinke all the other pop brats, she has actually found that mix. She started out being a rock/punk kinda tomboy, and has since grown up, and so has her music.

Unlike the other wannabes who try to be like she was, they have tried to copy her and in my mind have failed miserabley.

Unlinke all the other pop brats, she has actually found that mix. She started out being a rock/punk kinda tomboy, and has since grown up, and so has her music.

Unlike the other wannabes who try to be like she was, they have tried to copy her and in my mind have failed miserabley.

Heh you're really growing out to be a fanboy now :wink:

Anyway, it has been noted by several reviewers (haven't heard anything besides Girlfriend) that her music has seen no actual progress over the last three albums... Even if the growth is there, I find it hard to believe that going more mainstream pop is a good way of growing up, but that's a question of musical taste.

That's it! Thank you for phrasing the exact reason why I don't like her (and Ashlee Simpson and the likes). They're trying hard to be badass punk rock chicks but they're not; they try to find a mid way between Britney pop and Green Day punk and it's just not a good mix in my opinion.

+1

Avril Lavigne for me is a bit meh because someone like Karen O can pull off the whole rock chick thing with 100x more style and charisma. Maps completely pwns I'm With You by the way ;)

By throwing "motherfucking" in there. Shock horror! .

Wait, so swearing means trying too hard nowadays? :wtf:

I personally like Girlfriend, it took a few listens but it's ok.

Listening to the album now, just started track 3. 2 was a bit average. I'l update as I go.

wait wtf! Aaand iiiiiii feel soo aliiiive. P.O.D anyone?

Apparently she wears pants (trousers)

XD - She does the metalcore 'scream' in track 9. This gets funnier and funnier.

Wait, so swearing means trying too hard nowadays? :wtf:

No, the way it's thrown in is incredibly forced and it doesn't flow. Unnecessary use of swearing is trying too hard when it comes to music. And it's definitely unnecessary in that song.

No, the way it's thrown in is incredibly forced and it doesn't flow. Unnecessary use of swearing is trying too hard when it comes to music. And it's definitely unnecessary in that song.

It does fit though, it wouldn't fit the beat without it :/

She can't sing, and is ugly.

Lord knows what people see in her.

avrillavigne26245e6ea1ewx7.jpg

00650avrilarenaapril070kl2.jpg

Actually if you listen to the whole line it seems like it's been structured around the "motherfucking" so in the general scheme it doesn't fit. But my main point is that it's unnecessary and a blatant attempt to appear more "badass".

I haven't heard the album, but I do rather like Girlfriend and the video, and I think she looks rather good these days. Reminds me of a girl I used to know.

Actually if you listen to the whole line it seems like it's been structured around the "motherfucking" so in the general scheme it doesn't fit. But my main point is that it's unnecessary and a blatant attempt to appear more "badass".

My mate used to have a habit of having one random swearword in every song that he wrote, he never really explained why though.

My review

1. Girlfriend - great song, catchy beat.

2. I can do Better - Average - little bland

3. Runaway - Awesome song, great lyrics, catchy tune

4. The best damn thing - Different sound for her, very upbeat, great chorus

5. When you're gone - One of the best songs shes done, Great emotion

6. Everything back but you -

7. Hot - Sounds awesome, fun, just want to dance to song, The best on the album

8. Innocence - Not as good as her usually ballady song, its alright, not great

9. I dont have to try - Worst song on the album, great beat, lyrics not right

10. One of those girls - Easy to listen too, but forgettable

11. Contagious - Superb song, (rolling stone magazine said it was one of the best this year) awesome beat, great lyrics, fun!!

12.keep holding on - Back to what she does best, ballads, great song, I can really relate to the lyrics.

9/10 for the album

One or two forgettable songs but all in all shes back and at her best.

Critics reviews

Rolling stone - 4 out of 5

The gaurdian - 4 out of 5

All music guide - 4.5 out of 5

Entertainment weekly - B

So far its got better/on par reviews with her first album and much better than her last one.

Heh you're really growing out to be a fanboy now :wink:

Anyway, it has been noted by several reviewers (haven't heard anything besides Girlfriend) that her music has seen no actual progress over the last three albums... Even if the growth is there, I find it hard to believe that going more mainstream pop is a good way of growing up, but that's a question of musical taste.

lol i have to admit i sound like one, but i', not, shes not even my favourite singer/band, that acolade goes to "the academy is.."

But i just get peed off when people say shes like britney or ashley etc, shes not, she can actually sing and write her own songs.

OK, finished listening to the album. I thought it was a bit bland with a couple of notable songs.

Notably

Girlfriend,

The Best Damn Thing,

Everything Back But You,

Hot,

The scream on I don't Have To Try (it's hilarious).

Everything else I thought was a bit 'meh'.

I never liked her bullshit. Especially shite like Sk8er Boi was just stereotypical bullshit. And if she hadn't done it, i wouldn't get retarrds and chavs sing it at me.

I'd love to rag her.

Hahahha. Nicely put. But, get to the back of the queue. :heh:

Dante, some more Avril eye candy would be greately appreciated.

Hahaha.

Yeh, may as well turn this into another Avril eye candy thread. Dante, get on it. :wink:

Can't stand her music (never liked it) and she has an annoying voice. And sometimes I want to punch her in the face for some reason. There's something about her that makes me hate her.

Also, Girlfriend is one of the worst songs ever. The music is horrible, her singing kinda sucks and the text is the worst. Sounds like a 13 year old or something.

Sorry. I just don't like her. :heh:

Okay Fierce Link. :)

Avril Lavigne

88920people071122690lozi3.jpg

08656951mf0.jpg

7100230810bs0.jpg

05sz2bc1.jpg

02oo2ry7.jpg

2412501346loqv2.jpg

2413002496loqu0.jpg

2413403596lolr4.jpg

2414906494loil2.jpg

2414405393loqr0.jpg