NEurope
Dante

Nintendo sells 25K in UK last week

Nintendo has told GamesIndustry.biz that Easter gift buying and a rise in the number of Wii units shipped to retail contributed to 25,000 units being sold in the UK last week.

Leaked Chart-Track figures showed that 17,000 PlayStation 3 units were shifted during the same period, while the figure for Xbox 360 stood at 11,000. A spokesperson for Chart-Track declined to comment on the data.

According to a Nintendo spokesperson, "Last week was Wii's third biggest sales week since launch. Everything we are shipping, we are selling."

The spokesperson conceded that the figure was boosted by the availability of more stock than usual last week, stating, "Sales in previous weeks weren't as strong as 25k. More units are shipped some weeks than others."

However, he added, "We are making regular shipments, and we are consistent."

The spokesperson went on to say that the Easter holiday was a major factor in the high figure for Wii units sold. "Easter was the catalyst for the spike in sales," he said. "It's a traditional gifting week and that was definitely a contributing factor, along with the fact that there was more stock than usual."

It's still not clear when the Wii stock shortages will end - as the spokesperson observed, "Demand for the console is clearly huge and is exceeding supply." However, he added, "We are doing everything we can to get as much stock out there as possible."

GameIndustry.biz

They say they are making regular shipments but we were dry for the few weeks leading up to Easter. Granted releasing them at Easter is a wise business move...

25K a week in the UK is MADNESS.

They really are still selling like crazy!

How big can the gaming market get? If everyone and their grandma is going to start playing, it could grow to astronomical proportions. Nintendo would be able to stuff their socks with money each day before going to work.

tbh i dont know why, wii lacks any real depth in its titles... im starting to regret buying 1 tbh, i thought nintendo wud of learnt from the past and avoided silent periods in game releases... im still waiting for the second TRUELY good game to accompany zelda twiilight princess...

Same as the 360. Nothing good started coming out til August/September time.

Same as the 360. Nothing good started coming out til August/September time.

Apart from GRAW1.

That game was astoundingly good...

tbh i dont know why, wii lacks any real depth in its titles... im starting to regret buying 1 tbh, i thought nintendo wud of learnt from the past and avoided silent periods in game releases... im still waiting for the second TRUELY good game to accompany zelda twiilight princess...

Because it isnt about the hardcore games. Its about the simple way of playing games. Its about making stuff on the screen move without having to learn 38 button combinations beforehand.

Of course this is the Revolution, libertaing the glories of virtual entertainment from the likes of us "hardcore" snoot biscuits. Talk to most "non-gamers" on the street about "gaming depth" they'll stare at you blankly before uncomfotably making their excuses and leaving. The majority of the general public don't give crap about about "depth" or "AI" or what "true HD" is. What they want is fun, light, accessable, family friendly entertainment. Just look at the PC charts.

They just wanna bowl for realz bitches. And push little virtual peeps about. If someone made Sims Bowling they could probably buy the universe.

Wii doing great numbers although i do agree it hasnt got enough depth at the moment. funny thing is my bro brought my cousins Japanese Wii for £160 with Red Steele, Wii Sports and Zelda. This has been at my house since saturday and it hasnt been taken out of the box.

for some reason i just got no interest in playing the wii. I played alot of zelda and wii sports before so i guess thats why i not interested.

If my bro gets Japanese Super Paper Mario next week I will be on that for sure.. :)

"Easter was the catalyst for the spike in sales," he said. "It's a traditional gifting week and that was definitely a contributing factor, along with the fact that there was more stock than usual."

What am I doing wrong? All I got for Easter was some crappy chocolate. You mean I should be holding out for a £200 games console?! :(

since when is easter a gift giving holiday

besides candy

Never, you're right. But it IS a time when everyone is off school/college/university and so a lot of people get free time.

________

Coach Handbags

Edited by the_mars_volta

That's very strange. Easter isn't traditionally a gift-giving holiday (partially both understandable and confusing, when you think about the traditions behind them) in the UK. It IS however in other countries in Europe... I just can't remember which ones. At first instinct I'd have said that that was sales figures for all of Europe, then I thought that that was too low for Europe, so I went and checked again, and low and behold it said the UK. So I'm still confused.

I think Nintendo pushed them out because it was Easter (and it is a gift giving time in other countries) and the Wii Waiting List* snapped them up while they could.

*I'm not kidding, there is a stupidly long waiting list. Before I got my Wii I was calling up games shops in my area every day asking if they'd had a delivery, and when I got one I asked how many other people do the same thing. He said they had at least 20 regular (i.e. people who called everyday), and double that they only heard from once a week. And that despite selling Wii's to those who call the number still stays the same.

since when is easter a gift giving holiday

besides candy

It's getting more and more like Christmas each year. This year there were adverts on TV about buying your kids a board game for Easter.

So why didn't we get an AAA Nintendo title released in time for Easter then? I suppose the Americans did. :sad:

Chart Track Investigates Leaked Sales Figures

Chart Track is currently conducting an investigation to clarify who was responsible for leaked sales data relating to the PS3 and Wii.

Image Chart Track ammasses and distributes UK sales figures to subscribers under an agreement forbidding the recipients to publish them. The supposedly official figures that were leaked illustrate the continued demise of demand for Sony's PlayStation 3 during its first three weeks on release, as opposed to the Nintendo Wii.

While not confirming the leaked figures, Chart Track’s Adam Davis said, "We've already contacted someone we believe is responsible for the leaks."

NextGen

hello guys!i am new here!

The wii sales are excellent.

its interesting to mention that wii has sold 15.000 here in greece,an amount that gamecube spent 2 years to catch it!

Hello and welcome aenaos!!!

I noticed you're Greek (or you are at least currently there:heh: ), me to...but I live in London.

The Wii is on fire! I can't wait to see what happens when they sort the production out and there are some solid AAA titles released!

THIS...IS...WIITOWN!!!

hello guys!i am new here!

The wii sales are excellent.

its interesting to mention that wii has sold 15.000 here in greece,an amount that gamecube spent 2 years to catch it!

Welcome to the forums. Cool a Greek. Besides daft i'm sure we had another one? i'm irish myself

Wii sales keep going1

Wii sales are amazing, it must be a worrying time for Sony, especially as they didn't even sell out at launch. Plus with a fw quality games now on the horizon things just get brighter.